4/13 eMac update...4/20....

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Personally I'd just order the PowerMac with a Combo drive, then buy the $125 DVR-107D separately. Then sell the Combo drive for $50. Much cheaper than paying $200 to upgrade. Even Plextor doesn't charge that much for their DVD writers.

But back on topic... I think this could be a sign of things to come in the next couple weeks. Remember late January and early February last year? PowerMac updates, Cinema Display updates, and iMac updates, all within weeks of each other. This could be round 2 of that. Then again, maybe we'll have to wait another month for anything else.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

They give you a life time to use it. Because its only once in a life time you get that discount. You can buy 2 years worth of student ADC accounts and use it on your second year. Trust me... if you develop, this program is VERY nice. Not to mention you get 2 free OS updates... like this year I got 10.3 and will get 10.4 when it comes out. That alone pays for the adc account. Also I won a free ticket to WWDC, so thats 1600 there too. Now I'll get about 800 off of a new powermac g5 when they come out.... you do the math

just to clarify, you get one discount per lifetime, but the student developer membership is only one year (per $99). If you don't use your discount within that year, you'll have to pay another $99 for the next year (if you're still an elligible student). It's not like you can be a student developer once, and then 10 years from now 'cash in' your once-in-a-lifetime discount.

And yes, the membership is well worth it for the newest OS CD/DVD alone. Plus there are tons of other benefits.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I would be suprised to see all the systems updated in the next few weeks. Apple will want to have a big splash at WWDC. Right now that looks like 3.0 ghz PM's, or possibly G5 iMacs/Power Books. I still think that the time is ripe for Apple to come out with the next home appliance that hooks up to the digital hub, but I'm not sure if WWDC is the place for such an anouncement.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I think NAB and WWDC will have their own proApps announcements, but for the next few weeks we'll see what yields IBM has gotten out of their 90nm processes and that will be the upgrades we see.

Any consumer device, unless it is handheld multimedia won't come out at these conferences.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

I don't know about that, I just got my dual 1.8 a week ago, and it shipped with an DVR-A05. I was forced to get a DVR-107 from esbuy for 99 bucks...

Mine came on thursday of last week and it had a DVR-107D. I just assmumed that they must be shipping all of PMs with these now. I guess I must be wrong.

Quote:

Are you sure you're using 8x media? It's very hard to find and expensive. 4x media is abundant though. I have a DVR-107D purchased from NewEgg and it burns DVDs at 4x because I have 4x media. I didn't want to pay three times as much for 8x media.

Yeah, I was using 4x media, however Toast never gives me the option to do anything faster than 4x... although that may still be due to the media.

Quote:

I am interested in joing the student developer for the $100.00 initiation fee and was wondering how long Apple gives you to make the one-time hardware purchase? Also, how long did it take to get verified and how is the program overall?

The student developer program is definately worth it if you are going to buy new hardware.

As stated earlier you get around 20% off a one time purchase (may include one of a PowerMac, PowerBook, iBook, eMac, and a display and an iPod and/or iSight).

I believe that you must use your discount while your membership is active. After it expires you can't use your discount anymore (I may be wrong though).

As a student member you get free OS updates which in themselves make the program worth it (I got 10.2, and 10.3 for no charge).

Anyway, back to work...
  • Reply 26 of 29
    bytemebyteme Posts: 45member
    Those of you who have used the Student Developer Program to purchase hardware, did you have to pay tax?

When you normally make a purchase from the Apple Store you are not charged tax, but if you use a edu. discount, tax is added.

I am just wondering if tax applies to hardware purchases through the Student Developer Program.

TIA
  • Reply 27 of 29
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ByteMe

Those of you who have used the Student Developer Program to purchase hardware, did you have to pay tax?

When you normally make a purchase from the Apple Store you are not charged tax, but if you use a edu. discount, tax is added.

I am just wondering if tax applies to hardware purchases through the Student Developer Program.

TIA

I don't know actually. When I purchased through adc I wasn't charged tax. But then again I live in Oregon... we don't have sales tax. *shrugs* Might be different in another state.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by ByteMe

TIA

I haven't used mine yet, but I'm 99% sure that Apple charges (or doesn't) sales tax based on what state it's shipping to, regardless of edu discount or not.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

my sources are very good...they are the voices in my head...i got them drunk the other night and suddenly it was, "see gelding, i was cleaning steve jobs office the other night when i came across this roadmap of future upgrades laying on his desk...."

i often get the voices in my head drunk...

Hmmm, gelding, it looks like it's time to quit drinking. You know, DT won't do you any good. Even if the specs are impressive, they're not worth it. Be careful, bro.