presidential speech

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
election year (free) advertising, or actual press conference?

it's odd, but i've seen him speak so rarely, i don't think i'd watched outside of his Daily Show clips.

so what was your take on his speech?

did this help or hurt his cause?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I thought he just started talking (so I flipped the channel), it can't possibly be done already?
  • Reply 2 of 124
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Geez, his handlers can't even help him pick out a TV-safe TIE

• Reply 3 of 124
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You need HDTV

So for some of you Bush is damned if he does and damned of he doesn't. Hold a press conference and he's on the campaign trail. Not hold one and he's hiding something.

So far he's doing a good job. The right message.
  • Reply 4 of 124
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Well, there's the first gaffe - he called Rumsfeld the Secretary of State...
  • Reply 5 of 124
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

So far he's doing a good job. The right message.

Well, so far he's reading. He'd have to fall over or vomit to do badly at this point.

As for the message...he's got one. Whether it's the right one is another matter.

And that tie is DRIVING ME INSANE.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    Yea not much of a press conference so far. Look for that old bat in the front to try to try to lynch him.
  • Reply 7 of 124
    I think Clinton would have done great with these questions. He would have whipped out a "As Commander and Chief I feel responsible to protect every American from foreign threats. And on 9-11 every American was not protected."
  • Reply 8 of 124
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

You need HDTV

Who has it in HD? I checked all the major networks' web sites and none say they're carrying in in high-def.
  • Reply 9 of 124
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    Oh my God!

Is this clown really our president?

He has done OK on some of the questions, but for the majority of the questions (so far) he seems (IMHO) to be dropping the ball big time. It almost seems like he has no train of thought. Maybe it is just that he has absolutely no "stage presence" or is he just the bumbling figurehead that I am growing more convinced that he is.
  • Reply 10 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Who has it in HD? I checked all the major networks' web sites and none say they're carrying in in high-def.

Well maybe next time we can get you a front row seat.
  • Reply 11 of 124
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i go with the "wife test" it's much like the computer based "grandma test".

take someone who doesn't give two shits about politics, sit them down to watch the speech, then when it's done ask them what they think of it.

so far she thinks he's done well. part of it is he comes off as "caring".

she also said something about the press seeming hostile, so it doesn't bother her that he's struggled with some of the questions.
  • Reply 12 of 124
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    My question hasn't been asked.

What happens when we transfer power to the new Iraqi government and they tell us to get out of their country?

Still, the President has dropped the ball on these questions. He's still trying to make it sound like Iraq has WMDs. Plus, he can't answer simple questions like, "Why do you have to appear before the 9/11 commission with the Vice President instead of alone?"
  • Reply 13 of 124
    I think he's been trained to use "buzzwords." Every time he mentions Saddam Hussein, he quickly spouts off that he's a "murderer, killer, maimer," etc. It's almost like he doesn't have to think about it he's said it so many times.

The other one that he said tonight that Condy used the other day was that they would have "moved heaven and earth" if they knew they could do something to stop 9/11.

Why testify with the Vice President and not separately? Let's TOTALLY dodge the question!
  • Reply 14 of 124
    Quote:

Well maybe next time we can get you a front row seat.

No, it doesn't make any difference to me. I can't even view HD signals, so I really couldn't care less. I was just curious to see who is carrying it and discovered that no one is. That's all.
  • Reply 15 of 124
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    alcimedes, thats pretty funny. I am doing the wife test also. My wife (who is liberal but pays no attention to politics until she goes to vote) is watching the speech with me and is not very pleased with Bush so far.

She feels like he is whining. Right now she just compared him to our 4 year-old when she does something wrong and is trying to rationalize flushing one of her stuffed animals down the toilet.
  • Reply 16 of 124
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    "nobody likes to see dead people on their Television screens, I don't"

except when they are in my ads...? \
  • Reply 17 of 124
    "What's your biggest mistake been since 9/11?"

CHOKIN'!!!

That photo will be in EVERY morning paper.

Okay, George, here's the right answer:

"Well, there are a lot of people who think that every decision I've made has been a mistake. All I can say is that I believe that everything I've done has been in the best interest of the American people. History will look back and ultimately decide if some of those decisions were mistakes. But I stand behind those decisions."
  • Reply 18 of 124
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    didn't he refer "the president and I".....

He's no Clinton---I would pay large sums of money for a better deilvery---with this kind of material, a masterful politician would have the press corps sobbing.

Maybe Americans need more marketing?

The message on Iraq sounds credible---although it may be rascist to think that the Iraqis culdn't agreed on how to make Kool-Aid let alone run a democracy.

It sounds good in theory. If it works it really would be the best thing to happen in the Mid East for quite some time.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Anybody find a transcript of tonight's press conference?
  • Reply 20 of 124
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    the whole thing gave me a kind of bad feeling. it really, really annoyed me when he said we should be on the offensive. we have a department of defense, and named as such, for a reason. offense shouldn't be the strategy of any nation. we're not nazis. we're not a goddam football team. people's lives are in the balance. i also don't believe him when he says that military action is his last resort. whether or not we were justified in going into iraq, i think we went quicker than we should have.