Apple users are like mercedes owners????

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

"I use Macs for the same reason I drive a Mercedes," Avary says. "It may be a bit more expensive, and a Ford Taurus will get you there the same, but I'm a whore for perfection in industrial design, and you can't beat Apple for ease of use and an elegant human interface." said Roger Avary movie writer/director"

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1081750591000

Do you feel the same..like a luxury car owner? Why do you use Apples?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I use Apple for a lot of reasons, including what he said. The industrial design of the hardware, ease of use of the software, and more solid operating system all culminate into a product that is much more desirable than a Windows-based PC.

There's something to be said for paying more for quality. Almost every item of A/V equipment that I've ever purchased has been Sony. Why? Because I know I'll have few, if any problems outside of the standard wear and tear. I buy only Levi's jeans because I know they'll fit well and put up with me. Heck, I even buy the more expensive breads at the grocery store because I want more than just some preservative-pumped crap that has little real taste to it.

I don't want all that to be mistaken for buying a product for the name. I couldn't care less about all things Tommy Hilfiger, Nike, or sometimes even Bose -- I say "sometimes" because I DID buy a set of their small PC speakers once, but you won't see me buying anything Acoustimass.

My current car is a Hyundai Sonata (mostly because of it's low price to high feature ratio), but I'd like for my next car to be either a Volkswagen or some kind of hybrid. With both will come a more premium price, but also a better product. The latter being more environmentally friendly, as well.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I've never liked this metaphor, and frankly I'm not sure that it isn't at least partly responsible for Apple's market share.

Steve Jobs is talking about BMWs right now because Apple is currently forced by circumstance to be a premium niche vendor. But neither BMW nor Mercedes has been "the car for the rest of us" for as long as I can remember. Macintosh was, and it should be.

The idea that a well-designed product should be a privilege for the few to enjoy is frankly disgusting. Right now a select few have a personal computer that they don't have to worry about, while most people have a personal computer that requires a formal education in IT to manage properly. How backward is that?

I'd like to see the Mac become the computer for the rest of us again. I'd like as many people as possible to be able to use and trust their computer, and to spend less time patching and disinfecting and otherwise wasting their time because of some company's legacy of bad decisions, and the proclivity that a few filth have for exploiting those decisions.

If that means that I don't get to be in some select club, great. I'd be much happier to have my Mac in common with more people, to not have to be so careful about what file formats I can ship to whom, to be able to share tips and applications and files with more people freely. The increased application and peripheral support wouldn't be a bad thing either.

A Mac is not a Mercedes. If you must have a car metaphor, it's a line of well-built, thoughtfully designed, fun-to-drive cars, but there's nothing necessarily elite or pricey about them. In fact, exclusivity works against their stated reason for being.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I agree with amorph on this. Is exactly this sort of elitist, "we're special and more cool than you!" vibe - while, at times, kinda cool and a badge of honor - works the other way.

I don't drive a Mercedes anyway, and probably never would. So I think it's a piss-poor analogy.

In fact, I'm quite certain I don't want to be ANYTHING like any of the Mercedes drivers I happen to know. You can take that in whatever way you want...

• Reply 4 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

But neither BMW nor Mercedes has been "the car for the rest of us" for as long as I can remember. Macintosh was, and it should be.

I'm old enough to remember when the Macintosh was touted as "the computer for the rest of us". It was a backlash against Big Blue IBM and it's corporate stoginess. The Mac was this user friendly machine that anyone could use.

But as warm and fuzzy as the slogan may have been, it's really rather ironic and prophetic. Not to drum up another price debate, but neither then or today, has the Mac really been priced or targeted at the masses.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm old enough to remember when the Macintosh was touted as "the computer for the rest of us". It was a backlash against Big Blue IBM and it's corporate stoginess. The Mac was this user friendly machine that anyone could use.

But as warm and fuzzy as the slogan may have been, it's really rather ironic and prophetic. Not to drum up another price debate, but neither then or today, has the Mac really been priced or targeted at the masses.

Actually, it was priced reasonably relative to the IBM PC (and it was priced a lot higher than Steve wanted it to be - he wanted to sell the Mac for $999). Price didn't become a problem until the Phoenix reverse-engineered the IBM BIOS, and at that point the problem became that although PCs were far less capable, they were somewhat less expensive, and "IBM compatible" and thus a shoo-in for businesses.

Computers were expensive, period. They're cheaper now. I think the eMac that just came out is a significant step in the right direction.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    personally, i think there is an analogy, but i think a vw beetle (or cooper, or more personal-style commuter vehicle might be more correct (and yes, i am biased due to my recent purchase of one, but hear me out). yes, it costs more, and sometimes there are strange design quirks that make you wonder what the heck they were thinking (like the lack of headroom in the rear "seat." but there are enough nice touches and human interface concessions that you know SOMEone was thinking about the owner when it was designed, NOT just cutting costs wherever possible. plus, like the cooper or the beetle, there is a definite aesthetic that the owners appreciate and will go out of their way for.

heck, make it a diesel engine with manual transmission, and the analogy is complete! vastly more efficient, but harder to come by. diesel owners know there's a massive difference, and look on as the rest of the world suffers through skyrocketing regular gas prices due to external market influences.

just like mac users looking on at the windows crowd, applyin patch and virus updates daily to curb the rising tide of attacks on every computer from every other computer.

honestly, turn your nose up at the analogy all you want, but i think there is truth there.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Car analogies- always used by people that don't understand cars. I wonder if the guy can change his own tire. Probably has to call his wife like in that commercial.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I like the analogy of Apple computers being like VWs. I was the first reply above, but I don't want people to think that I equate Mercedes to Apple.

I don't want to be in an elite club of snobby people who think they're better than anybody else because of the car they drive or computer they use. I just want to surround myself with quality products from companies that may charge a little more, but offer a better solution to what everyone else has.

I'd say -- if we're doing the car analogy -- that VWs are like that. Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but that extra cost goes into the extra care put into producing the end result. That doesn't mean that VW doesn't want everybody driving their cars, though.

And to those who dislike the car analogy overall, give us some other widely used product that we can use then. I think the car analogy isn't a bad one, personally.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Well i drive a 1995 skoda favorit . Why? because it starts everytime, and is cheap on fuel.

Why do i use a mac? Because its more responsive, boots everytime and with a mac i dont feel the need to add a spoiler to the heatsink, install a minature air con device with flashing green and pink lights, cut a hole in the side of the case and pretend i'm in the film tron and install an lcd screen to tell me the fans have just increased their speed.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I also think the Mercedes-Apple analogy is bad.

In Germany there is an expression that roughly translates to - A Mercedes in the garage but nothing on the table. (The Mercedes being expensive etc)

Anyway, Car/computer analogys are very bad. Most car technologies have been around for 100 years and very few 'breakthoughs' are seen today.

Dobby
  • Reply 11 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I think it's because we work hard and we play hard. Macs just work. They don't have any viruses, pop-ups, hell even Microsoft software is easier on Mac, and it's just fun to use and has lots of unique games and other cool apps. And producing media has always practically required Macs. Basically there is always a better product out there for your need, you just have to look harder to find it. Average PC users just don't care as much about this particular product (computer.)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Macs and and benzs is a horable analogy: when you buy a benz, you buy a name-plate and a hood ornament, but under the hood, in recent years, it is just a standard engine with a few toys in the cockpit, most of which can be done better in the after-market, and on more than one occasion, our sable (a.k.a. taurus in a tux) has zipped right by an $80,000 Benz without even reaching the 4th gear.

Macs on the other hand, have something unique and superior to the competition (windows), it is called a proven stable and OPEN base, better interface, which windows is modeled after and better technologies, auqua, Quartz Extream, and so on.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    We are the Few... The Proud... The Apple-Enthusiests