Apple is aggressively going to update soon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Of course I wanna believe as well. About to sell my iBook and Cube and will be putting along on a Beige 266 until new Powerbooks are released. Hurry up Apple!

Why... Sell.. Cube.. And stay... With... Beige G3?????

Must... Kill.... Now.....

• Reply 42 of 97
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

We a

Not so sure about this one... The iMac AIO has stayed like this for 6 years now.. Its time for a change... Maybe a LCD that you can take off? Oh well.. That a whole other story..

Makes them more reliable in my eyes...

WTF are you smoking? If your saying the iMac 2 was introduced 6 years ago. I think your off by about 4 -5 years chum.
  • Reply 43 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensoniq

Apple's update to the eMac may not be the update we were all waiting for, but there's some very telling signs within it:

1 - 8x SuperDrive (Up from 4x)

2 - DDR Memory (Up from PC133)

3 - USB 2.0 (Up from 1.1)

4 - Radeon 9200 (Up from 7500)

5 - G4 7447 w/512k cache (Up from 256k)

6 - 256 MB RAM Minimum (Up from 128 MB)

7 - 167 MHz Bus (Up from 133 MHz)

8 - ATA/100 HD Controller (Up from ATA/66)

The eMac is Apple's LOW-END machine! They just made a significant update to it, giving it speeds that exceed the low-end iMac and iBook, a SuperDrive that is the fastest in their entire lineup, and video that probably exceeds that of the PowerBooks.

All of that tells us that the entire line is going to be updated across the board in a very short time. And the specs that SPF Jeff mentioned seem to fit quite well with this eMac news...especially his predictions for the iBook/iMac.

There are a few pretty cool things about this update.

1st is 8x DVD burning - If Apple is using a DVD 8x drive in the eMac then PowerMacs will for sure be getting it, and if the PowerMacs get it they will probably stick with the same brand of PowerMac superdrive (Pioneer) Who's DVD 8X drives are all DVD-R DVD+R 8X drives. That "is" cool.

2nd is I don't know if anyone noticed but the price dropped $100.00 on the highend model. That's pretty cool too.

And lastly.

Apple started updating it's products 4 day's before the NAM show which they are again attending this year. Last year the had some cool announcements at NAM, and now more than ever I expect them to do it again it this year. Probably all software demo'd on Xserves, but it will still be really cool. Plus it's only 2 months until WWDC. That's where we get blown away. (I hope)

BTW, The original post in this thread is total BS IMO.
  • Reply 44 of 97
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

WTF are you smoking? If your saying the iMac 2 was introduced 6 years ago. I think your off by about 4 -5 years chum.

I think he was talking about the all-in-one iMac concept in general.
  • Reply 45 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

I think he was talking about the all-in-one iMac concept in general.

I certainly was.
  • Reply 46 of 97
    solerosolero Posts: 30member
    --> SPF Jeff

Don't be a one time poster! You simply have to come back and answer our questions this instant young man or...sorry I mean pretty please.
  • Reply 47 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Why... Sell.. Cube.. And stay... With... Beige G3?????

Must... Kill.... Now.....

Hah. Would love to keep the Cube, but I can only keep one machine (going to college next year and my family is moving to Chicago in June) so I need to sell it. But I want to sell both because I know soon the value will decline, and I want to sell the Cube while it is still worth something before current machines excel it too much. Love the machine though of course....
  • Reply 48 of 97
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Sadly, an upgraded imac G4 won't be agressive. The imacs sales are really hurting and a G4 in the imac on its new upgrade won't do the job. The only way to recover the sales will be the G5 in the imac for the next upgrade.
  • Reply 49 of 97
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Sadly, an upgraded imac G4 won't be agressive. The imacs sales are really hurting and a G4 in the imac on its new upgrade won't do the job. The only way to recover the sales will be the G5 in the imac for the next upgrade.

Where can I find that empirical data about the iMac sales?

• Reply 50 of 97
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Where can I find that empirical data about the iMac sales?

Tomorrow, tomorrow, a day away!
  • Reply 51 of 97
    Greetings again,

What I know of the system controllers, they are the same, however, the motherboards are layed out differently. the controller support both memory modes, single and dual channel. It was a versatility designed into the controller to allow it to be used in various machines. The motherboard on the low-end machine is so small as to suggest that it will be laid out in a smaller machine.

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't get this part. Do you mean the system controller has a GPU core?

Yes, that is in fact the case.
  • Reply 52 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by SPF Jeff

Greetings again,

What I know of the system controllers, they are the same, however, the motherboards are layed out differently. the controller support both memory modes, single and dual channel. It was a versatility designed into the controller to allow it to be used in various machines. The motherboard on the low-end machine is so small as to suggest that it will be laid out in a smaller machine.

quote:

I don't get this part. Do you mean the system controller has a GPU core?

Yes, that is in fact the case.

SPF Jeff what do you think it's for?
  • Reply 53 of 97
    What about the 750VX (G3+Altivec 1.8GHz 400MHz DDR) in the next iMac and iBook? This chip was supposed to be ready Q3. (We are in Apple's fiscal Q3 I think ??)

This would give the consumer line some CPU oopmh and lower prices. This is what the iMac really needs. Some thread I read stated that the 750VX was cheaper to make.

There has been nothing much said about this chip since the Dec 03 thread. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=35058 It seems to be more of a "consumer line" chip with much more juice than a G4.

Then in 2005 we get a G6 dual core PowerMac and a redesigned G5 iMac...
  • Reply 54 of 97
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    ============NAB Prediction Alert==========

I wonder sometimes about "Moving Pictures. Moving Sound. Moving the Industry."

What if there was a different product for each statment, much like the old "Pro, Go, Whoa." teaser.

? I am thinking "Moving Pictures" means new iMacs (the swivel screen effectively moves pictures) or some sort of iPod-Keynote-iPhoto thing.

? "Moving Sound" could be about the new iPod lineup.

?"Moving the Industry" to me, is most certainly about portable computers.
  • Reply 55 of 97
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

You are a funny guy Messiahtosh. The things you come up with.
  • Reply 56 of 97
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

You are a funny guy Messiahtosh. The things you come up with.

Funny? How am I funny to you? What the **** is so funny? Am I a clown, do I ammuse you? How the **** am I funny? What the **** is so funny? No, what do you mean? How am I funny? :::Calks gun::: So, I am here to ****ing amuse you?

I love Joe Pesci
  • Reply 57 of 97
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

...System controller w/ GPU core...

SPF Jeff what do you think it's for?

ATI and nVidia both have chipsets for the PC which integrate the GPU and the memory controller into a single chip. Furthermore they both connect to the southbridge I/O chip via HyperTransport. From a notebook's system integration point of view this makes a lot of sense -- the GPU needs direct memory access for performance reasons, and exposing a processor FSB port and HT port from that chip is a relatively simply matter. I expect that Apple will eventually have to go in this direction, or have IBM build them a G5 with integrated memory controller (although that tends to hurt GPU performance).

Not much else interesting (or different) in the original poster's "report"... it is pretty much stuff we've already been guessing at. Interesting that the eMac jumped to 1.25 GHz today.
  • Reply 58 of 97
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I believe that Apple has been readying a new iMac since December. That the eMac has been updated to be arguably better than the iMac except on screen size (20" iMac), especially on DVD-R speed is telling, in my mind.

Especially if the iMac gets updated soon, I think this was a good move (updating eMacs first), as the EDU channel, particularly higher ed needs the lead time, and Apple has been aggressively courting us in higher ed (at least around here, NorCal, they have). It makes sense to hold off on the iMac, put the eMac first, if only for this reason. Consumers, even consumers buying for kids going off to school in the fall, typically don't need 10 weeks lead time, and can buy in August, or even September.

I'm not saying that Apple has new iMacs ready to go, stored in a warehouse somewhere, waiting for the right moment. But I think they are ready to introduce them, all the logistical stuff is ready (maybe not engineering).
  • Reply 59 of 97
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

What if there was a different product for each statment, much like the old "Pro, Go, Whoa." teaser.

? I am thinking "Moving Pictures" means new iMacs (the swivel screen effectively moves pictures) or some sort of iPod-Keynote-iPhoto thing.

? "Moving Sound" could be about the new iPod lineup.

?"Moving the Industry" to me, is most certainly about portable computers.

No, this is NAB! Broadcasting professionals!! I wager all three hint at updates to the Pro apps. FCP, Shake, DVDSP, Soundtrack.

AI is probably correct that an iPod will debut around the 28th.

Screed
  • Reply 60 of 97
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I like SPF Jeff's information very, very much. It is great that it proposes Apple getting the PowerBooks to G5 first before the iMacs. Professionals aren't going to get a G5 iMac before they get a G5 PowerBook --- when it comes out, Apple's going to have a bigger distribution nightmare than even with this iPod Mini craze.

I just wanna G5 PowerBook!!!!!!!!! Who gives a flying ^&*( about "rev. 1 machines being 'calamitous, not worth getting, fraught with weird problems'"? This is going to be history, and Apple taking the laptop "king" position back again.

Okay, I'm done now.

I salute Mr. SPF for being aware of our needs anyway if this all turns out to be nonsense.