newton advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i've never had a newton, and lust after a 2100 every now and then!

but a friend has a 120 which he wants some beer money for. i've checked on ebay and a good condition 2100 easily fetches $200+. so is the 120 a good newton to have, or is it not really worth it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Don't tell your buddy that the 2100 is $200+, than just give him enough for a 24 pack, he'll be happy and you'll have your Newton. If you don't like it, a least you didn't pay a lot for it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    yeah, but how different is the 120 compared to the 2100?

is the 120 worth having?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'd pass. The difference between the 120 and 2x00 models is like a beige G3 to a Dual G5.

Sure, the G3 will work, but it'll be painful.

The 1x0 line uses NewtOS 1.x, which has the handwriting recog engine that was (deservedly) the butt of so many jokes. The 2x00 line uses NOS2.x, which has the same engine as Inkwell on MacOS X.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I'd pass. The difference between the 120 and 2x00 models is like a beige G3 to a Dual G5.

Sure, the G3 will work, but it'll be painful.

The 1x0 line uses NewtOS 1.x, which has the handwriting recog engine that was (deservedly) the butt of so many jokes. The 2x00 line uses NOS2.x, which has the same engine as Inkwell on MacOS X.

Not true. the MP130 ran NOS2.x, as did the 120.

Source (including my memory): http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/newtgal.htm
  • Reply 5 of 10
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    The reason you don't want a 120 is not that it is slow (it is, but not that bad really), but because it doesn't have a backlight. Without the backlight it can be very hard to read in low lighting situations.

If you want a MessagePad get a 130 or 2x00 model.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    thanks -- good advice everyone

thats what i wanted to know. i want one to actually use rather than as something i can stroke and say i own!

so i'll keep my eyes peeled for one of the other models
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The 2100 is world's apart from the 120. This cannot be stressed enough. I'd also recommend the eMate 300 as it makes a great laptop for word processing and such. You can rebuild the battery pack with much higher capacity cells these days and make it run a long, long, long time.

Does anyone here remember when the 2000 was preannounced by Apple and some place called "PDA Construction" released an unauthorized VHS tape showing an EVT2 unit and how it works? I just watched the tape for the first time in many years. Very interesting.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    whats an EVT2 unit?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

whats an EVT2 unit?

It's an evaluation unit that Apple send out to developers. It says "EVT2" where it normally would say "MessagePad 2100" on it. No one could make a tape like that today.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

It's an evaluation unit that Apple send out to developers. It says "EVT2" where it normally would say "MessagePad 2100" on it. No one could make a tape like that today.

Any chance of making a digital copy? And then maybe hosting it?