apple + Tab app change.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I hate that Apple + Tab changes applications.

I want it to work like in Linux and windows, where it changes the windows.

So if all I have open is two safari windows when I hit apple tab I want it to change between those two windows

is there an apple shortcut to switch between windows (other than expose)?

or is there a way to change apple tab shortcut?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Cmd-` changes windows, Cmd-Tab changes applications.

Cmd, not Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwind212

is there an apple shortcut to switch between windows (other than expose)?

Yes. Use Apple-tilde (~).

Quote:

or is there a way to change apple tab shortcut?

I don't think so. However, you can use a 3rd party application switcher like LiteSwitch X to create a new shortcut.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Cmd, not Apple.

You haven't used Macs long enough, boy! Heck, I remember my first Mac having a plain "apple" key back before the days when we would only have the "open apple" key.

I still sometimes think "open apple" in my head when I'm saying "command" to someone else. Doesn't that make more sense anyway? How on earth do you get command out of that little squiggle anyway? In Switzerland, it's the campground symbol! Whaaa?!

<end rant>
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

You haven't used Macs long enough, boy! Heck, I remember my first Mac having a plain "apple" key back before the days when we would only have the "open apple" key.

Yup, and before that it was 'open apple' and 'closed apple' on the Apple ][ line.... youngster.

Quote:

I still sometimes think "open apple" in my head when I'm saying "command" to someone else. Doesn't that make more sense anyway? How on earth do you get command out of that little squiggle anyway? In Switzerland, it's the campground symbol! Whaaa?!

Because most tasks in life just keep going around in loops endlessly.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Oh man, I remember calling it open apple also. I don't remember how I switched to calling it command. I don't even remember where that came from.

Control F4 will rotate between all windows in all application, You can change it to what ever you want in System preferences > keyboard and mouse > keyboard shortcuts.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Control F4 will rotate between all windows in all application, You can change it to what ever you want in System preferences > keyboard and mouse > keyboard shortcuts.

yay! worked perfectly

(yea I'm still a newbie :-) )

thx guys
  • Reply 7 of 32
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

<end rant>

I don't know what burr Kickaha has under his saddle, but the Apple key and the Command key are the same. On Apple supplied keyboards, it is still the venerable Apple key. Third party keyboards name the key "Command."
  • Reply 8 of 32
    All official Apple documentation refers to it as the "Command" key. Period. The clover symbol is the official symbol for "Command". The Apple logo is a holdover from older keyboards, such as the late 1970s Apple ][s I mentioned. Third parties cannot put the Apple logo on their keyboards, so they use the actual name for it instead.

No burr under my saddle, just proper term usage. Learn it?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I have a tendency to call it the "flower" key, which is the term that sprang up right about the time that "open apple" started falling out of favor.

I've trained myself to say "command," but I still think of it as the "flower key."
  • Reply 10 of 32
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I still call it the open apple key. People think I'm crazy. Haha.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I have a tendency to call it the "flower" key, which is the term that sprang up right about the time that "open apple" started falling out of favor.

I've trained myself to say "command," but I still think of it as the "flower key."

That's okay, I secretly still call it the 'clover key'.

But I never call it that outside my own head, so people will actually know what I'm talking about...
  • Reply 12 of 32
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Last I checked, we still used this:

8)

I say 'command' to the command key. I've seen Apple refer to it as "Command or Apple key" though. Some people also call it 'butterfly'. Kinda like 'flower'?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Oops, my mistake. After doing a little research, is this more correct?

Quote:

What is the shape on the Command Key? A cloverleaf? A butterfly? No, it's a symbol that's a Swedish campground trail marker that stands for "remarkable feature." How's that for trivia.

Sharon Zardetto Aker, The Macintosh Bible 7th Ed., Berkeley, Peachpit Press, 1998

Though, I *have* heard and read people call it the "campground" key, whether the reference is correct or not.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Note to Brad: Sweden is not Switzerland

Interesting fact though.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Note to Brad: Sweden is not Switzerland

Interesting fact though.

BAH! ME NO READUMS GOOD. YAY DYSLEXIA!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    kenjaykenjay Posts: 8member
    This article from Andy Hertzfeld's EXCELLENT website "Folklore" will explain the Apple / Command key:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py...&detail=medium
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Interesting read this thread, So what came first, the command key or the apple key?

People keep referencing 'open apple key' ? Whats the background on that?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    The Apple ][ line had two modifier keys on the keyboard, one a line drawing of the Apple logo, and one solid. I originally heard these called 'white apple' and 'black apple'... but since the Franklin 100 had a black keyboard, people got confused, and the 'open apple' (outline) and 'closed apple' (solid) came into use.

They were used on the Lisa (Mac predecessor) to initiate a menu command. Read the above link for the rest of the story.

On the Apple ][ line, they *were* officially 'open apple' and 'closed apple', but with the switch to the Mac, they became known as 'command'. (Note that there's only one kind of command key - the two on the Apple ][ were actually different keystrokes.)
  • Reply 19 of 32
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Wow, Its been decades since I heard the term 'open apple'.

Ah, BBC Micros, Trash 80's, Apple ]['s, C64's, Spectrums, Sinclairs. Those were real computers! None of this Multitasking, one click install, easy to use rubbish .

I sure do miss those days - NOT!

Dobby.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I HATE the Windows does it. I'm glad Apple uses command-tab and command=~

It's so much better.