Locked files?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a few files in my TRASH and everytime I try and delete them it says they're locked, how do I unlock them?

They were from my quake3 folder which I trashed...

Side note... was is the proper way to uninstall software? I just recently switched to MAC and I always wondered if just deleting the folder and executable file was sufficient.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Trashing by dragging to the trash is the most common way in the Mac world. This may leave a few small preferences files tucked away, and if you are really worried you can either perform searches through your HD for these files.

Alternately the app's installer might also be an uninstaller. If this is the case then you might want to use this, as it will (should) delete the other files that are squirreled away.

As for the can't trash part, does it say they are in use or that they are locked. If they are locked you might be about to get info on the file and unchecked the locked box. If they are in use you might then want to look around on VersionTracker for a delete app, or alternately look on the boards for the terminal commands (there should be quite a few)

Hope this helps
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hold option while emptying the trash...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by BDONN

I have a few files in my TRASH and everytime I try and delete them it says they're locked, how do I unlock them?

They were from my quake3 folder which I trashed...

Side note... was is the proper way to uninstall software? I just recently switched to MAC and I always wondered if just deleting the folder and executable file was sufficient.

Thanks.

Open the Trash, highlight the files, go to File menu and select Get Info. This should allow you to uncheck the Lock option for the files.

Oh, and you didn't recently switch to MAC. You recently switched to Mac.

PC is an acronym, Mac is not (unless you are talking about Media Access Control of course).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Where is Brad with his in-depth desktop animation of the uninstall process? Might come in handy....

• Reply 5 of 5
    bdonnbdonn Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Open the Trash, highlight the files, go to File menu and select Get Info. This should allow you to uncheck the Lock option for the files.

Oh, and you didn't recently switch to MAC. You recently switched to Mac.

PC is an acronym, Mac is not (unless you are talking about Media Access Control of course).

You're a geek.

Thanks everyone!

Holding option works... I thought about using Get Info however I couldn't even remove it out of the trash since it kept saying it was locked.