Review: Logitech MX900 Bluetooth mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I recently bought the fine Logitech MX900 Bluetooth mouse and wrote a little review about it.

The review is located here.

If the link doesn't work go to my homepage, then to "reviews" and finally to "Logitech MX900".

I hope you find my review useful.

Patrick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Great review Patrick, thanks! There is one thing only it's not clear to me: when using the mouse under OS X, what is the purpose of the Logitech base station? It is there only to recharge the mouse? It does something more? Can you use the mouse when you are far away from the base station (having only the mouse and the Powerbook with you)?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Great review! Im gonna get that mouse with my new Powerbook G5, when time comes...
  • Reply 3 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Seems promising. I've been leary of it for a while, but these are positive things. Maybe I'll take the plunge.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I am glad you liked my review. :-)

I use the base only for recharging. But if you like, you can use it as receiver for the mouse, if your mac has no built in bluetooth module.

To make it clear: You do not need the base. I leave it at home and only take my PowerBook and the mouse to the office.

The range is quite high. I would say about 10 meters.

I will also put this information in the review to make this point more clear.

Patrick
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by proeder

To make it clear: You do not need the base. I leave it at home and only take my PowerBook and the mouse to the office.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear .
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Just another thought, I was thinking of getting the MX900, but I've decided to hold off. MacAlly will soon release BTMouseJr (don't know when). It looks small, light, relatively cheap ($49), and takes AA batteries or their rechargeable counterparts.

From what I gather, the Logitech MX900 works well, decent battery life, pretty pricey (paying for a bluetooth hub you don't need). If all you want is a simple 2-button BT mouse, the MacAlly one may be the ticket.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Now, here I am with a Bluetooth MX900. A very good mouse, except a strange interaction with some UI elements. And I explain.

Sometimes, randomly and without reason, the use of the buttons 4, 5 and 6 (back, forward and the top one) as Expose buttons, freezes the Dock and their association to Expose functions. When this happens, clicking these buttons does nothing, menu highlights also disappears when pointing with the mouse to menu elements and the Dock does not respond correctly (for example, if magnification is on, moving the mouse over the Dock, magnifies and displays the name of the initial only item the mouse touches). The situation reverts back to normal sometimes by itself and sometimes if I kill the Dock and try Expose from the keyboard.

Another strange behavior shows up when launching applications: if the mouse is or was for some time active, no matter how the application is being launched, it will open in the background behind the active one.

I don't know if it is a hardware issue, but I had not such peculiar things with Apple's Bluetooth devices. Perhaps the Logitech drivers, if ever released for OS X, will resolve such issues.

All the above are in a Powerbook 12" first generation, running Mac OS X 10.3.3 with all software and firmware updates applied.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Just an update: a PMU reset resolved all the issues I had with the MX900 . It behaves now as it should.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Just an update: a PMU reset resolved all the issues I had with the MX900 . It behaves now as it should.

Finally, it is not that simple. The issue is more deep than I initially thought. Let me explain. The PMU reset actually did nothing more to solve the problem than reboot the machine and let me as the ONLY user logged in when I tested the mouse. When I tried the other buttons (other than left and right ones) with at least one more user logged in, the erratic Dock and Expose behavior started again. And this does not affect this mouse only, it affects other mice I tried that have at least a middle button, apart the left and right ones. Once I middle-click, a large UI part hangs until all users log out. One of the more frustrating versions of this hang up, is when the system messes up the button associations and executes Expose functions when I left-click anywhere! Sometimes the system reverts to normal with usage, but this is pure luck.

So, it seems that the multiple user environment in Panther interacts very wildly with multibutton mice (more than two buttons) and needs to be fixed. Anyone else with the same problem?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

That's exactly what I wanted to hear .

i second that
  • Reply 11 of 25
    OK, *confirmed*. Kensington responded to my request regarding the behavior of their mice under 10.3.3 (the other multi-button mice I tried and talked about in my previous post were Kensington ones). They say that "It is known that this particular version [that is 10.3.3] causes a lot of problems which do not exist running other OS versions. We cannot help you with your request and advise you to contact apple regarding the issue you have."

Exactly as I suspected it. Apple needs to correct this. I am wondering though why other people do not experience same problems. Or am I missing something?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I bought one and returned it when I found out it had no mac drivers, I just wrongly assumed it would since most of their other products do. I see from your review that you can use other software to get the button functionality back, but I still wont buy it cuz I refuse to support logictech on this mouse with no OSX drivers.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, I'm also uneasy about the whole thing. I don't want to use Apple's bt mouse, and there's no other really solid alternatives, so I'll stay wired or use my trackpad for the time being.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Is there some problem with Apple's BT mouse ?

yea, one button
  • Reply 15 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    "To make it clear: You do not need the base. I leave it at home and only take my PowerBook and the mouse to the office."

Sweet! I'm getting one.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I have always heard and experienced wireless mice as being horrible or pretty bad for gaming (esp first person games).

Is this any better?

I REALLY want a nice new gen mouse... like the MS mouse that has side scrolling wheel button. Very useful to assign to keys for gaming.

BUT... they are ALL wireless... dammit
  • Reply 17 of 25
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

OK, *confirmed*. Kensington responded to my request regarding the behavior of their mice under 10.3.3 (the other multi-button mice I tried and talked about in my previous post were Kensington ones). They say that "It is known that this particular version [that is 10.3.3] causes a lot of problems which do not exist running other OS versions. We cannot help you with your request and advise you to contact apple regarding the issue you have."

Exactly as I suspected it. Apple needs to correct this. I am wondering though why other people do not experience same problems. Or am I missing something?

I have a Kensington PocketMouse Pro connected to my iBook and have experienced all of these exact same issues with OS X 10.3.3. It is not just you.

I have Exposé set to left+right click but sometimes any button will exposé. Pressing the left and right buttons together, then choosing a window solves it for me. As for apps starting in the background, that only happens once another user logs in. The temporary fix is to log out and back in (don't have to touch the other user's session). I also get the exposé function when I plug the mouse in. This isn't as irritable as the old "equivalent to command-f being pressed" that I used to get anytime I plugged an external mouse in with 10.2.x.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I have always heard and experienced wireless mice as being horrible or pretty bad for gaming (esp first person games).

Is this any better?

I REALLY want a nice new gen mouse... like the MS mouse that has side scrolling wheel button. Very useful to assign to keys for gaming.

BUT... they are ALL wireless... dammit

I'm pretty sure most reviews have said that the Logitech MX700 is pretty much the standard for wireless mice if you want to do gaming. I think that the MX900 uses the same optical sensor as the MX700, just that it's a bluetooth interface.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by rrabu

I have a Kensington PocketMouse Pro connected to my iBook and have experienced all of these exact same issues with OS X 10.3.3. It is not just you.

Thanks, nice to see I am not alone in this.

To people reluctant to buy the MX900: you have certainly a very valid point on the driver availability, as this mouse is out for quite some time now, but I think Logitech need to see interest in theirs products, if we want to hope for a solution some day. What I mean is this: I invite all of you, and anyone else reading this boards, to take a little time and write to Logitech, explaining that you are interested in the MX900 and asking if you can expect anytime soon the approriate drivers for MacOS X 10.3. I don't see other means to make Logitech move on this.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    yomofoyomofo Posts: 35member
    anyone try the Logitech Control Center with the MX900? If you go to the support page for the MX700, you can download it there. Since the MX900 and the MX700 are basically the same mouse, I'm guessing the logitech control center might have a driver that can configure it, depending on how transparently OS X interfaces with the mouse. It may be worth a try...

Go here.