Brand new emac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've just ordered the lowest config of the new emac for a crazy £550!!!!

I initally went for 512mb but when i checked out it had a build time of 2-3 weeks, so i went back and deselcted the extra ram and found the build time was now 2-3 days?

How come they add an extra week or 2 just for sticking in a single 512 stick?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'm not sure... the PC133 RAM used by the previous eMac is expensive and probably in short supply, and DDR is only a bit cheaper. It's about $100 for a 512 MB module. Actually, last time I checked, DDR was a lot cheaper than it was now, so I guess there's just a widespread RAM shortage. That would explain the delay.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    They probably have wearhouses full fo stock macs, a constom configure is just that - custom, much like a car, either you can buy the blue one at the dealer today or pay a little extra and get a different color and some more toys from the factory
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I think your both right.

i checked out the price of ram and for a 512 kingston stick it's a about £90!!! It wasn't too long ago that one of those would of cost £40. The only other conclusion is what a_greer said. I'm just glad i have plenty of ram in stock, i'll let the 90 days warrenty run out then i'll max it out with the ram i have just hidden

What i also wanted to ask earlier, is how come apple can sell such a smart/fairly high spec system for such a low price? I know they'll make their cash through bulk, But come on there must'nt be much in the profit margin, surely?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

I think your both right.

i checked out the price of ram and for a 512 kingston stick it's a about £90!!! It wasn't too long ago that one of those would of cost £40. The only other conclusion is what a_greer said. I'm just glad i have plenty of ram in stock, i'll let the 90 days warrenty run out then i'll max it out with the ram i have just hidden

What i also wanted to ask earlier, is how come apple can sell such a smart/fairly high spec system for such a low price? I know they'll make their cash through bulk, But come on there must'nt be much in the profit margin, surely?

I don't think adding ram affects the warranty.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Anyway, if you're in the UK I believe you have a one year warranty.