Bounce Goes Liberal Radio

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Someone forwarded a story to me, apparently from Drudge, that says that Air America bounced its last check to radio stations and has been yanked.....

[snip]

STATION OWNER CLAIMS: AIR AMERICA 'BOUNCES CHECK'; LIBERAL RADIO NET TAKEN OFF IN LOS ANGELES, CHICAGO AFTER ONLY TWO WEEKS

Wed Apr 14 2004 16:18:43 ET

After just two weeks on the air, Air America Radio, the fledgling liberal talk-radio network featuring Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo, appears to have encountered serious cash-flow problems.

The CHICAGO TRIBUNE is developing a story, insiders tell DRUDGE, on how the network was pulled off the air this morning in Chicago and Los Angeles, the network's second- and third-largest markets, because, the owner of both stations said, the network bounced a check and owes him more than $1 million! A charge the network strongly denies.

A Chicago source familiar with the situation said a Multicultural representative showed up at WNTD's offices Wednesday morning, kicked out Air America's lone staffer overseeing the network's feed to the station from New York, switched over to a Spanish-language feed, and changed the locks on the doors...

Air America filed a complaint Wednesday in New York state Supreme Court charging Multicultural with breaching their contract and seeking an injunction to force Multicultural to restore the Air America broadcast on both stations.

Developing...

[snip]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Air America has a slightly different spin on the situation, with some fun jabs at Drudge, too..
  • Reply 2 of 19
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Well, anyone who ever accuses liberals having greater understanding, patience and love in their hearts should certainly stand corrected by the tone of that little piece. Giving out the guy's personal number is so Junior High.

Elevate people, ELEVATE.

sheesh, ain't nobody got any class anymore.....
  • Reply 3 of 19
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    That retort is the epitome of childishness.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    Launchcast is where it's at
  • Reply 5 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I've listened to Air America Radio on XM Radio and it's very good for a radio network that's just getting started. I'm sure that these issues will be resolved and that Air America will continue to expand.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    And I thought people stopped paying attention to Druge in '99...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Fat Albert yo Momma like Summer School.....No Class!

oh man I crack me up.....

Anyway.....I hope that AA makes it to the day when all 1 million XM listeners happen to tune in at the same time, all those advertisers will....wha? XM doesn't have advertisers? How're they gonna pay their bills?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

In all truthfulness I'm happy that liberal radio exists, it has given one of my friends who never tunes into the news a reason to listen to a topics-driven radio program that suits her ever-so-gently skewed sensibilities.

In so many ways AA is the liberal equivalent of Rush....only a few people will "see the light" as provided by the show's hosts/programmers. Spin will be applied whenever possible and party lines will never be crossed or questioned.

I enjoy Neal Boortz's Libertarian-based show simply because he's a more facile speaker than Rush or Franken...he has a lawyer's sensibilities and he's not afraid to question his own side from time to time.

But mostly I like listening to U-Pop!

So there.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Anyway.....I hope that AA makes it to the day when all 1 million XM listeners happen to tune in at the same time, all those advertisers will....wha? XM doesn't have advertisers? How're they gonna pay their bills?

XM has a range commercial-free music channels... but that's not all of their service. They also broadcast advertising-supported content as well.

I haven't heard AA on XM, but I presume it has all of the same ads as the radio broadcast, except for perhaps some slots that XM gets to fill in.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I am not at all surprised by this. The AirAmerica network is doomed, they have their financial modle all backwards, like it or not, lib or conservative, hell even in sports-talk, social-talk, and sometimes even top-of-the-hour news(which sometimes comes as a contract obligation) is paid for by the station to the syndicate, this, and the few contractualy obligated network ads is how the host and syndicate make thier scratch.

If you pay for air time, then how do you make money, do they sell more commercial time? I have listened to "The O'franken Factor" and heard half the ads of normal radio, although frankin is so dry i may have slept through a couple and I can get 12 hrs per day 5 days a week for only a cool million? that is a steal, thats great for infomerrtials: hummm, I could make a new phenomenon of culture, "AS HEARD ON RADIO!"
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    What is needed here is some understanding. We need to ignore the fact that the check bounced. Let's talk about the real issues. Like how the fledgling network grew up disadvantaged, in a bad neighborhood, with abusive parents and failing schools. There is no way the network can be held responsible for its actions. It is the big powerful station owner's fault. We need the ACLU and NOW and PETA and MoveOn.Org to get moving on negating this behaviour that we have, in our fascist society, have arbitrarily labeled as unacceptable.

Where's the compassion?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Posting the phone number of a theif is perfectly fine in my book, especially when they are parodying Drudge (Sludge Report).

Arthur Liu is a Republican.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    His being a Republican makes him a thief? Tsk, tsk...that's lazy thinking my friend!

I just think that AA should be above the tone of that posted article. It's petty to come out of the gate acting like a high school newspaper staff run amok. Give them a year of normal business to truly assess how they're attracting sponsors and listenters....it's too early to say that they're done.

I just wish they'd stop screaming like little nancy girls when they get bad press. I'm waiting to see someone suggest that AA's direct competition, Rush Limbaugh, has never had his reputation questioned in the press.

Basically, I'd like them to grow up and take their lumps without acting like little crybabies.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

His being a Republican makes him a thief? Tsk, tsk...that's lazy thinking my friend!

I just think that AA should be above the tone of that posted article. It's petty to come out of the gate acting like a high school newspaper staff run amok. Give them a year of normal business to truly assess how they're attracting sponsors and listenters....it's too early to say that they're done.

I just wish they'd stop screaming like little nancy girls when they get bad press. I'm waiting to see someone suggest that AA's direct competition, Rush Limbaugh, has never had his reputation questioned in the press.

Basically, I'd like them to grow up and take their lumps without acting like little crybabies.

true: also rush was not birthed on top of the mountain, he was fired from radio 5 times, and did local yocal stuff in sacremento ca, and NYC, before he got his "eib network" and even then up to right now, he works very hard to STAY on top of things like him or not he and his staff do an ungodly amount of research.

simple answer, the no-namers on AA havent paid thier dues in the radio industry.

after thought:

the "secret" if there is one, to Rush is, while a conservative, and a polotics wonk, he is first and foremost an entertainer, not a politition, not a writer, not an ex-producer of SNL, an honest to god entertainer, same with Hannity
  • Reply 14 of 19
    oooops mistaken click
  • Reply 15 of 19
    He's a theif because he took their money, broke the contract, and sold out to a higher bidder.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

he works very hard to STAY on top of things like him or not he and his staff do an ungodly amount of research.

lol...yeah, an enormous amount of research. Interesting research behind calling Hillary Clinton "Hitlery". Yeah, great research. Not to mention his standing on drug addicts and what we should be doing with them.... his own drug addiction notwithstanding
    Quote:

after thought:

the "secret" if there is one, to Rush is, while a conservative, and a polotics wonk, he is first and foremost an entertainer, not a politition, not a writer, not an ex-producer of SNL, an honest to god entertainer, same with Hannity

Entertainers? lol you can't be serious. Those guys are conservative(very) mouthpieces, evangelists. They may be "entertaining" to some who just tune in to hear what crazy, ridiculous, whacky anti-liberal rhetoric he might come up with next though. So I guess you're partly right. Pick up a Hannity book and then tell me he's just "an entertainer".
  • Reply 17 of 19
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Entertainers? lol you can't be serious. Those guys are conservative(very) mouthpieces, evangelists. They may be "entertaining" to some who just tune in to hear what crazy, ridiculous, whacky anti-liberal rhetoric he might come up with next though. So I guess you're partly right. Pick up a Hannity book and then tell me he's just "an entertainer".

This is of course true, but they are no more or less of a mouthpiece than Franken or Garafolo. Not that I mind. Conservative radio needs conservative viewpoints in order to survive and liberal radio needs liberals for the same reason. And while Franken and Garafolo are both better entertainers as far as I'm concerned, this doesn't negate the fact that they too are mouthpieces.

America wants a bunch of people telling them what they think is right, and they want the people they disagree with demonized. And no matter who you listen to (Rush, Hannity, Garafolo, Franken, O'Reilly... etc.) you get a whole lot of that.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Air America won it's injunction against the Republican thief. Too bad you don't see Drudge or the pro-Bush media reporting it like they did the other story.

http://www.airamericaradio.com/main....ase&htmlId=721
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Air America won it's injunction against the Republican thief. Too bad you don't see Drudge or the pro-Bush media reporting it like they did the other story.

http://www.airamericaradio.com/main....ase&htmlId=721

That's because they don;t like to let the truth out. It's against policy.