newsgroup reader?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for a good freeware newsgroup reader. I think Mail can't handle newsgroup. Any anyone recommend any good client to me? Also what's a good newsgroup server?

thanks a million!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    Firstly, I bet this should have gone in the Software forum. No big deal though.

Secondly, Unison by Panic is a pretty good usenet client. Give it a try. As for a server, most ISPs give you access to a usenet server (from what I've read, all usenet servers contain identical data. They are all just mirrors). If your ISP doesn't provide a server, Panic will also give you access to their usenet server for $11.95 per month. This page has details about server access, and may be able to tell you if your ISP provides access.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I've heard great things about Unison too, but I'm no usenet junkie.

Moving to Software...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    Unison cost quite a bit. It cost 25 dollars. Is there any freeware clients?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

Firstly, I bet this should have gone in the Software forum. No big deal though.

Secondly, Unison by Panic is a pretty good usenet client. Give it a try. As for a server, most ISPs give you access to a usenet server (from what I've read, all usenet servers contain identical data. They are all just mirrors). If your ISP doesn't provide a server, Panic will also give you access to their usenet server for $11.95 per month. This page has details about server access, and may be able to tell you if your ISP provides access.

• Reply 4 of 10
    $25 is just dinner and a movie. Wouldn't you like these nice developers to be able to eat and relax from time to time too?

Well, here are some others...

search number one

search number two

search number three
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I sprung for Unison and I am very pleased with it. I tend to find that it is the rare piece of freeware that works well and is well designed (from a UI perspective). I bought Panic's FTP application (Transmit) as well for the same reason. Support those Mac developers that make GOOD software!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    MT NewsWatcher is a robust client. Not nearly as slick as Unison, but featureful and based on a battle-tested codebase. It's what I've used for years, and what I continue to use until Unison picks up a couple more features.

It's donationware. You can use it for free, but the developer would really appreciate it if you tossed a little coin his way.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I use Mozilla Thunderbird, but I haven't tried the rest. It seems to have a decent feature set, but is definitely not OS X-native. Like all Mozilla stuff, it lacks any sense of the Mac look and feel.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    in case you already use MS Entourage, there is Newgroup functionality in it as well...

Not the best... but it works as advertised
  • Reply 9 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

MT NewsWatcher is a robust client. Not nearly as slick as Unison, but featureful and based on a battle-tested codebase. It's what I've used for years, and what I continue to use until Unison picks up a couple more features.

I agree 100%. MT NewsWatcher is my usenet client of choice and I've tried many.

Man, I'm glad this thread is here. I've been using 3.3b1 forever and I never noticed that version 3.4 is out. Time to see what's new.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I've always liked pan. It just seems the most logical.