Camel spider

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Scorpians are cool...

so are spiders...

is this "spider" closer related to crabs? it has claws for crying out loud...
  • Reply 22 of 30
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    I think it's related closer to the scorpion
  • Reply 23 of 30
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i can't stand spiders, or...whatever that is. EEK!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs to a far away land, never to be heard from again*
  • Reply 24 of 30
    nasty spider
  • Reply 25 of 30
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    I used to work in Somalia collecting plants. One night while camped out and preparing specimens I kept feeling something running over my bare feet. I assumed it was a mouse, but finally decided to check it out. I was fast as hell, but I finally caught it with a butterfly net. I was horrified when it turned out to be one of these guys. I had never heard of them before. It wasn't all that big, but compared to its body size its jaws were huge and gnashing against each other in a very creepy way. That is something you can't get from these photos. I guess he was feeding off all the bugs our lights attracted. Anyway, he was dropped into preservative and now resides in the collection of British Natural History museum.

After returning to the States I looked them up and was surprised to find that they are common in the Southwest. Still haven't run into one here though.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Eight legs or ten, venom or not... if I found one of those things crawling on me I'd pee myself at a minimum. Just the way they look would be enough to draw a panic reflex in most people.

I repeat... Guhhh!
  • Reply 27 of 30
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It?s a little know fact that human pee contains an aphrodisiac of the camel spider.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Scorpions suit me just fine
  • Reply 29 of 30
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It?s a little know fact that human pee contains an aphrodisiac of the camel spider.

what? ahh!!!!! oh, you're kidding...phew! you're kidding, right? right? right!?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    It's a good thing I'm not human and living amongst Camel Spiders then.

I wonder if the thing is some kind of mutant. It's got an enlarged ant-like head, 10 legs, and the body of a spider. Government DNA experiment from the 90's gone awry?