why cannot iPhoto compress?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
this complaint applies not only to iPhoto, but to many, many digital photog programs i have used over the years. Here is the thing: i import pictures off of my camera; i always use the highest quality on the camera, so the pics are about 250k each. If i want to use these locally, they work fine, however if i want to use them on the internet (the i in iPhoto for goodness sakes!), then i find iPhoto completely worthless. iPhoto might resize the photos for the webpage, but it will not recompress them to web standard size, so i end up with a web page with a bunch of 120K + photos, when i really want 40K photos...same goes with email..i can resize, but cannot add the level of compression that is crucial for true internet usefulness.

workaround? sure, i can drop the photos into a program called smallImage and it can add a suitable level of compression. then i can reimport the files into iPhoto and do what i will with them.

it's just stupid and I have to vent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I totally agree. There should be a simple way of compressing photos in iPhoto without having to use a third party app.

I like to take my pics at full quality too and uploading them is a real pain in the ass (nearly all my pics are around 1Mb each!).

If anyone knows of a simple (preferably free) piece of software to compress pics to a useable size, please post your link, thanks
  • Reply 2 of 6
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    File -> Export.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

File -> Export.

oh my god, i never tried this. kidding. not only does export put my files somewhere else when i just want to email them, it doesn't do compression (it resizes, yes, but that isn't what i want). the gallery feature would be really useful if it made the images web size (~40k).

anyhow, the best program i have found is small image

i shouldn't have to leave iphoto and fumble around with different program though. complain complain, iphoto is worthless as an internet app, complain complain
  • Reply 4 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Don't forget about that iPhoto feedback option in the iPhoto menu.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i always use the highest quality on the camera, so the pics are about 250k each

Taking pictures with the iSight?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Taking pictures with the iSight?

heh. an old 2.1MP HP digital camera. maybe they are more like 500k?