Steve Jobs Whacks Rob Glaser of Real Networks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://news.com.com/2010-1025-5192344.html?tag=nl

Basically, Rob Glaser sent Steve Jobs an email indicating that Real Networks was open to exploring how to make RealPlayer/RealJukebox compatible with iPods. He went on to say that if Apple didn't take them up on the deal then Real would be forced to make an alliance with Microsoft.

Somehow the email got leaked to the press.....tee hee.

Now Real has no bargaining power with anybody....notably Microsoft.

go read the article, it's a chuckler

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

http://news.com.com/2010-1025-5192344.html?tag=nl

Basically, Rob Glaser sent Steve Jobs an email indicating that Real Networks was open to exploring how to make RealPlayer/RealJukebox compatible with iPods. He went on to say that if Apple didn't take them up on the deal then Real would be forced to make an alliance with Microsoft.

Somehow the email got leaked to the press.....tee hee.

Now Real has no bargaining power with anybody....notably Microsoft.

go read the article, it's a chuckler

the really funny part is how both glaser and real "representatives" are publically blaming apple for not joining them. the man reeks of desperation, kinda like napster...
  • Reply 2 of 35
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Everyone wants to jump on that iGravy train, and Engineer Steve is pouring on more coal and leaving them stranded at the depot.

(hey, at least it wasn't a car analogy!)

• Reply 3 of 35
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    either:

1) Apple (Jobs) is on a frikken power trip

2) Apple KNOWS what its doing (learned their lessons from Mac glory to "irrelevancy")

3) Apple (jobs) is being arrogant as hell

4) destined to go the Way-of-the-mac

(some redundancy, but who cares...)

I really think Apple is not playing fairly. I can understand the other "small guys", but COME ON!!! REAL FOR CHRISSAKE!!! They cant be ignored. They have some good stuff and can only HELP.

Lets see what happens in the next 2-3 years...

Quote:

No deal for RealNetworks

Apple has reportedly turned down RealNetworks' offer to license its Fairplay DRM technology, and a meeting that RealNetworks CEO Rob Glaser sought with Apple CEO Steve Jobs this week to discuss the matter is not taking place. "Steve just doesn't want to open the iPod, and we don't understand that," a RealNetworks spokesperson said. Apple declined to comment on the matter. Earlier this week Jobs told The Wall Street Journal, "The iPod already works with the No. 1 music service in the world, and the iTunes Music Store works with the No. 1 digital-music player in the world," he said. "The No. 2s are so far behind already. Why would we want to work with No. 2?" Meanwhile, an article in today's Journal reveals that Apple has previously turned down other partnership proposals regarding the iTunes Music Store. Last year, Rio Audio approached Apple to open the store so that other hardware players would be compatible with its Fairplay AAC files. Apple turned that offer down. "We can do nothing," a Rio Audio vice president said.

• Reply 4 of 35
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    This will really make MWA the standard, with more and more DVD players supporting it, and the majority of all MP3 players sold is also able to play mwa files.

Hopefully the industry will agree on a DRM standard, and since it doesnt look like Apple will license FairPlay and Sony is busy pushing their own format, it looks Microsoft got another winner on the hands. As usuall this is the result of Apple/Sony being unable to license out the relevant technology. I accuse these two companies of being slow learners.

For the consumers, its a good thing the industry now seems to move to the Microsoft DRM standard. Its also a good thing that when you buy a mp3 player you wont be tied to a service provider. So if you prefer to buy&own the music, go ahead and do it. But if you other hand wants a subscription service and being able to play those songs on a mp3-player, you can also do as soon as Microsoft release the technology this summer. Clearly this will make subsription based services more attractive. But because Steve Jobs RDF´ed us we know that consumers DONT want this kind of service, despite that Real Networks got 450 000 subscribers ( and growing it by 20% over a period of 3 months).

While Apple is enjoying an early success in the audio media war, I suspect Microsoft will , with their DRM innovations, change the competitive landscape. My personal guess is that subsription based services will grow much faster with this new technology.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Apple's got another deal with...um, HP that can't be overlooked. We don't know what kind of contractual conflicts might come into play by Apple joining up with Real.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What the hell is Apple thinking? How many deals like this have come along that they have refused? Right now it's Real. Way back when, Gateway wanted to join up with Apple and make computers that run the Macintosh OS right from the start, and Apple turned them down. That was a pretty stupid move. I guess this means Apple prefers to go it alone. Good for them... let's see where it gets them in the business world. I honestly have NO IDEA what they were thinking... how is getting more partners to push their media standards bad? Real practically BEGGED Apple to allow them to join their side in pushing AAC vs. WMA... I just don't see how there could have been a benefit to turning down the offer.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would have liked to see apple buy out/deal with Real and incorporate their technology into Quicktime. One application that can handle almost every type of media out there. Not to mention that Apple gets a boatload of new bragging rights.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Ebby (Music stealer you so proudly proclaim!)

Apple approached Real about making Quicktime and Real compatible about 4 or 5 years ago. Real refused to supply Apple with the necessary code although they said they wanted compatibility (in other words they really didn't).. It's pay back time. Right now Apple does not need to placate or give in extortion from a money-losing operation like Rhapsody. If Apple intends to eventually join a dark side they'll simply implement WMA capability in the iPod. It's only a software issue and as has been revealed previously there is already a WMA icon hidden in the software.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Macs,

You then forget that Real came back to Apple a few years ago and asked for QuickTime Streaming Server (QTSS) to be able to stream Real content as well... And now, I think it DOES.

I remember Steve was talking about it at a Keynote alooooong time ago.

Bah.... maybe Real will just die off and leave us all alone. I dont think I've used Real player in over a year anyway. Good riddance.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I can't believe that Real media is even used at all. Maybe it's superior on windows, but damn, I shudder whenever I have to use it. Sure it works, but it's almost always a hassle. Slow downs et al.

I guess Real got where they are from being ahead of the game with streaming video(can anyone verify this notion?, or am I misinformed?) I remember when it was like a REALly big deal to have live video streams, even when they were terrible quality. But in the age of broadband, it's kind of a moot novelty.

I prefer using WMP to REALone, at least with .wma and .avi you can always use VLC.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    with the way they burry thier free player, real just got their just deserts.

long live real alternative (a cute lil windows clasic mediaplayer with a few hacked dlls to decode and play all real content)
  • Reply 12 of 35
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

with the way they burry thier free player, real just got their just deserts.

long live real alternative (a cute lil windows clasic mediaplayer with a few hacked dlls to decode and play all real content)

translation please
  • Reply 13 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

translation please

of real alternative?

it is a great little application for windoze that is windows media player 6 ish with the nessesary elements and hacks to play real media content. uses half the resources or real 10, and no annoying nags or popups

coded and put together by some hackers
  • Reply 14 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I can't believe that Real media is even used at all. Maybe it's superior on windows, but damn, I shudder whenever I have to use it. Sure it works, but it's almost always a hassle. Slow downs et al.

I guess Real got where they are from being ahead of the game with streaming video(can anyone verify this notion?, or am I misinformed?) I remember when it was like a REALly big deal to have live video streams, even when they were terrible quality. But in the age of broadband, it's kind of a moot novelty.

I prefer using WMP to REALone, at least with .wma and .avi you can always use VLC.

...because we all know how well VLC plays .wmv over WMP...and if you didn't get that, I mean because it plays them horribly if they are streaming stuff.

REAL, although not being the greatest program, does have good streaming technologies. I thought they were just bragging about almost being able to stream at full DVD quality with one of their codec's? I mean it was a lot of bandwidth needed, but we'll be there soon enough.

I personally, still QT movies. They play while they load, and the nice thing about them, is that the quality is always real (not to be confused with REAL) good. Normally you don't have to wait more then 30 seconds or so, because the movie loads faster then your play it, assuming the server can handle that.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I would have liked to see apple buy out/deal with Real and incorporate their technology into Quicktime. One application that can handle almost every type of media out there. Not to mention that Apple gets a boatload of new bragging rights.

A pretty good idea, especially if implemented right. Real's client software would just go away, and if you wanted to download a client for any Real media type, you would be downloading Quicktime. As QT is one of the key components of the digital hub, and a major Trojan Horse for getting Windows users to install Apple software, this would be quite a coup indeed.

Real's current market cap is $1.1 Billion., so this is indeed a purchase Apple could make if they wanted to badly enough. Of course, one of Real's big "assets" is their lawsuit against Microsoft.

I wonder how the leak of this email, with its threats of partnering with Microsoft, will affect the potential value of a settlement?

I wonder what Glaser will do if he gets the same response from Gates and Ballmer that he got from Jobs?

• Reply 16 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

I wonder what Glaser will do if he gets the same response from Gates and Ballmer that he got from Jobs?

Why would he? MS is offering a crappier solution to all and makes money by licensing. Apple offers the best integration, but has to do it alone to keep the quality to Apple standards. The biggest problem is that the iPod works best with iTunes and apple wants to keep it that way. If REAL's program loaded songs into iTunes after it downloaded that would be great, but I don't see that happening. It would be good for Apple to buy REAL though.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Why would he? MS is offering a crappier solution to all and makes money by licensing. Apple offers the best integration, but has to do it alone to keep the quality to Apple standards. The biggest problem is that the iPod works best with iTunes and apple wants to keep it that way. If REAL's program loaded songs into iTunes after it downloaded that would be great, but I don't see that happening. It would be good for Apple to buy REAL though.

Of course it's possible that MS will welcome Real with open arms.

But it's also possible that they'd prefer to drive them into irrelevancy like they did to Netscape (which being purchased by Apple would certainly accomplish). I don't think Bill is too happy with the billion dollar antitrust suit that Real filed against MS about 4 months back.

The main point, though, is that the leak of the memo is a blow to Real, and makes the whole game much more interesting.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Jobs is one of the most arrogant people I have ever witnessed evidence of.

His platform is so insignificant in the big world people often act surprised that Apple still makes computers, but he wants to act like King Shit because he can sell a lot of mp3 players?

Jesus, no wonder Apple's marketshare and mindshare is tinier than his penis must be.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Everyone seems to be jumping on this Jobs is an idiot binge, so I am going to assume you guys know something that I don't If some one could point me to the link where it gives the exact details of this partnership or where real said that it would not take the licensed fairplay tech and build its own digital device. Thanks

Yeah...

either way, Real slams Apple every chance they get, and you think they are going to be a good partner? **** no, they are going to screw Apple as soon as they get some footing against MS.

Quote:

Real practically BEGGED Apple to allow them to join their side in pushing AAC vs. WMA

No real practically begged Apple to save its ass. Thats all.

Quote:

I really think Apple is not playing fairly. I can understand the other "small guys", but COME ON!!! REAL FOR CHRISSAKE!!! They cant be ignored. They have some good stuff and can only HELP.

What stuff? And who says Real is going to help anyone but them self. Unless there are some specific details of the partnership someplace on the net that I am failing to see then I say Apple probably made the right choice.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Jobs is one of the most arrogant people I have ever witnessed evidence of.

Always nice to see you come out of your shell, Grover!

And in general, I can't disagree with this particular statement.

I've always held the philosophy that arrogance is tolerable if there is something backing it up. And even though the arrogance does get in the way of business judgment at times (although I don't think that's the case with Glaser's email), I think it's been years since Job's arrogance exceeded the track record, skills, and intelligence to back it up.

EDIT - geez, I was hoping for an interesting post #666 - I guess this will do.