New processor design Division at IBM

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.reseaux-telecoms.net/news_btree/02_10_09_114858_274/News_view"; target="_blank">New design division</a>

I read a news that IBM starts a new Division that will work on Design of micro-processors. They have for now 600 employes in that branch and go to 1000 in the near futur (by aquisition or new workers).

IBM could buy out the Motorola microprocessor division. Who knows?

IBM will have a great influence in the futur of Apple.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Why would IBM buy anything from Mot? There's no reason they would do that.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    That's not true -- Motorola has had many good engineers working on various things for the past 10 years. Just because they aren't things we've seen, or they're not things we want in our Macs doesn't mean they aren't valuable. If Motorola is selling off its PowerPC assets then IBM is one of the first companies I'd expect to see in line to go shopping.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    True. Mot has released some of the most beautiful CPU designs in the industry, for years. They have a bad rap around here mostly because they weren't designing an Intel clone processor, but there are some highly talented engineers at Mot.

It's their fabs and their management that suck.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Good news. I've been hoping that IBM would begin supplying all Apple's processors, including the G4. Management at Motorola never was committed to Apple and the needs of the desktop market. Management's decisions tied the hands of good people who could have done much better. Some of the best talent at Motorola may be very frustrated, and IBM could do powerful recruiting in that area.