Making a LaserWriter LS work on 1.25GHz iMac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a Personal LaserWriter LS that just has the 8 pin serial port.

I would like to hook to my new iMac (with 10.3.3) and share it on the network.

Does anyone know of a USB to Serial Adapter that would work?

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Really, don't bother. You can pick up an infinitely faster, better quality, quieter printer for so little these days. Time to pension off the old one. Look at it this way, for $300 you get 5 years of printing, or for maybe $100 and a lot of fannying* about, you get another year from your old LS, before something else breaks: the foam paper feed rollers on those fail regularly.

* i'm not sure what the American equivalent would be, but i'm sure you get the gist.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I dono, those LaserWriters are tanks, mine keeps going and going. I have it hooked up to an old 6400 right now. You may want to look to Belkan, they make good stuff and I'm sure one of their adapters could do just what you're looking for.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    USB to Din-8 Serial converter: more than $50, doesn't work all that great.

A new Epson inkjet will cost you $80, and that includes the ink cartridge. A good, new personal laser will set you back three to four hundred. So find a tall building and drop the LS off it. This is usually pretty fun to watch. Then rip out the AC/DC converter and send it to me.

• Reply 4 of 8
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    The LS is not networkable--even via PhoneNet--when it was introduced. It's not AppleTalk supported. The NTs and NTRs are via a LocalTalk to Ethernet adapter.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kcgilkcgil Posts: 23member
    Thanks everyone for the quick replys and guidance.

• Reply 6 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

The LS is not networkable--even via PhoneNet--when it was introduced. It's not AppleTalk supported. The NTs and NTRs are via a LocalTalk to Ethernet adapter.

Any idea where I can pick one of those up? I've been looking for an easy way to network my NT,
  • Reply 7 of 8
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Any idea where I can pick one of those up? I've been looking for an easy way to network my NT,

http://www.asante.com/products/adapters/asantetalk/

Also, search for a Dayna Etherprint or a Farallon EtherMac iPrint LT (though with this, you'll need a PhoneNet adapter to connect to the printer).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kcgilkcgil Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I know someone who has one, I can put you two in contact.