Alias introduces Maya 6 - No Unlimited for OS X Again!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Here are the details on the front page

Alias Web Site

System Requirements Page for Maya Unlimited

Here is what it says

Maya requires one of the following operating systems:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional,

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 2 or higher)

SGI® IRIX® 6.5.15

RedHat? Linux® 9.0 or Enterprise Linux WS 3.0

Apple® Mac® OS X 10.2.4 or higher (Maya Complete ONLY) It should say TO FVCKING BAD!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    That kinda sucks. What's the holdup? Not that I'll ever use Maya Unlimited but still it doesn't look good that we don't have it for OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sorry if this is an obvious question, ive never used the program, but whats the major differences between complete and unlimited?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    All the cool features are in Unlimited.. Complete users get kinda shafted because when it comes to things like Maya's Fluid effects, cloth and fur/hair, there's none of that in Complete..

It's a shame. Alias has to get their act together.

Although, I can't competely blame them.. Apparently ATi cards don't like Maya very much and Alias said that you get a huge performance boost if you have an Nvidia card.. Now this may be just marketing, but also when I used Maya it was very slow and clunky.. I'm running an ATi 64MB.. Apple needs to start bundling pro graphics cards with their machines.. I mean, top of the line pro graphics, not what Apple says are pro graphics. Because they're usually the midrange ones..

Jimzip
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    This is really good news.

It is now a Mach-O app. This bodes well for people writing plugins. If the development SDK now works with Xcode the number of native OS X plugins should dramatically increase.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    No, you don't understand. It's potentially good news, but at current, it's definetely bad news. There's not going to be another significant upgrade to Maya now for another year, and so Mac users once again get the shaft. That means that with no Unlimited option, consumers will feel threatened because the company isn't offering all that it offers on the other platform.. People will definetely want to go with the platform that doesn't leave them with insecurities such as the prospect of not having proper support, or the uncertainty that the company may pull the package entirely from the Mac platform. Consumers will predominantly go for Microsoft Windows.

Sheesh, you'd think Alias could just add the damn plugins or get off their as$es and port the whole thing. It's so lazy.

Jimzip
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Has anybody actually emailed Alias and asked about this? It could be as simple as the Unlimited version is simply delayed currently... for one reason or another.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Has anybody actually emailed Alias and asked about this? It could be as simple as the Unlimited version is simply delayed currently... for one reason or another.

silly boy. it's much easier to wail and moan and beat our breasts against the rising tide of injustice. far more drama. way more chicks.

but on a serious note, i have to think that maya will eventually have no choice but bring the farm to mac os x, what with all the friggin updates and strides apple has made in, what, the last week? apple just needs to release dual 3GHz G5's by end of summer as promised, and apple will really tie the other competitors to the whipping post and go to town.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

This is really good news.

It is now a Mach-O app. This bodes well for people writing plugins. If the development SDK now works with Xcode the number of native OS X plugins should dramatically increase.

That is really cool news, but some folks are still pretty upset that there is nno unlimited yet.