New PowerBooks (April 19 intro)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
While I was waiting for the Apple Store US to go back online with glorious new PowerBooks, I thought that I would start a lovely thread in Current Hardware to discuss the new iron (and plastic) once it is announced.

I'm ready to order a 12-inch Combo. But I cannot safely and with good conscience take delivery before my last law school exam on April 30. So I hope BTO (want the biggest drive) ship times will be about two weeks.

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 176
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Well, they are here. It is interesting that indeed you can upgrade the VRAM in the Superdrive models. But it is sad that still there are no 7200 rpm hard drives as option.
  • Reply 2 of 176
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I like that all the PowerBooks come with Airport Extreme built in (still optional on iBooks). That is $99 saved already.

I have a question though. How does the video chip in the 12" PowerBook compare to the video chip in the iBook? (GeForce 5200 vs. Radeon 9200) I am inclined to believe the Radeon is better here
  • Reply 3 of 176
    Also, all Powerbooks come with build-in Bluetooth now. Pretty nice.
  • Reply 4 of 176
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I am most impressed by the 1.33 Ghz 12-inch PowerBook. You can now get a 5400rpm drive as an option and it's a large 80GB too. That's what I will be getting.

Finally, the Apple Store lists ship time as 3-5 days, even on my BTO!

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 176
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    This is an AWESOME, solid and totally realistic, worthy upgrade. And the first knucklehead that comes here bitching about the PowerBooks not sporting 1600x1900 resolution - or something equally idiotic - gets a big Moe Howard smack.

There is NOTHING to bitch about here, folks. iBooks now can support more RAM, have a SuperDrive option, etc. And PowerBooks all have AirPort Extreme cards pre-installed, saving $99 right off the bat in three of the models (both 12" and low-end 15")

Anyone who's been waiting to get an Apple laptop - either model - today's the day. Or you can be a complete dumb-ass and wait ANOTHER 8-10 months for a G5 PowerBook that may or may not be all you expect.

Now THIS is more like it, Apple. Three-and-a-half months of deadly silence ends last Tuesday and, in seven days, we've now got new eMacs, new video software and brand new portables. Only things left are the iMac and the PowerMac, and I'm betting they'll be something pretty neat.

Go buy a laptop!
  • Reply 6 of 176
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    that's frickin' awesome, 15'', here i come!
  • Reply 7 of 176
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I think if I land this job I will treat myself to the 15" superdrive. I still have my adc discount, so it's time to put it to use.
  • Reply 8 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

This is an AWESOME, solid and totally realistic, worthy upgrade.

Couldn't have said it better, pscates!

Quote:

Go buy a laptop!

Check!

Phew. The update came just in time for me to take advantage of the educational discount one last time, before I quit education forever.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 176
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

And the first knucklehead that comes here bitching about the PowerBooks not sporting 1600x1900 resolution - or something equally idiotic - gets a big Moe Howard smack.

That's the best !
  • Reply 10 of 176
    One question: The PowerBooks presumably feature Moto's new low-power 7447A PPC. But battery lives are the same as before. I look forward to reading the Developer Notes for the 'Books and clarifying the situation.

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 176
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    I must say, I am very impressed by the new powerbooks.. I'm really thinking about picking up a 15" with the 1.5 GHZ, and the backlit keyboard.. drool..
  • Reply 12 of 176
    donny1donny1 Posts: 33member
    Currently three different threads all dedicated to updated portables but I'll stick my post in here.

UK store is currently updating but the main store page has the banners. 12" Powerbook starting at £1,149! £150 squid less than the previous rev. Coupled with built-in Airport and this is a very welcome update.

15" is also down to £1,399. I think that's a £200 saving from the previous. Man, I am now spoilt for choice. I was looking at an iBook but with these pricedrops and various other savings (Airport/Bluetooth etc.) my budget is now in Powerbook territory. Sod it, I'll buy 'em all!
  • Reply 13 of 176
    Wasn't Bluetooth available, built-in, in the PowerBooks before today, all models? I think it was. It was AirPort Extreme that wasn't (but now is).

But I believe all five previous PowerBooks had Bluetooth built-in, right?

Also, did everyone notice the 12" now has 64MB VRAM. up from 32MB?

I tell ya, if that little thing had the backlit keyboard...

• Reply 14 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Donny1

12" Powerbook starting at £1,149! £150 squid less than the previous rev. Coupled with built-in Airport and this is a very welcome update.

Gotta love the strong euro. For once the old continent is getting a break instead of the US. Of course, it sucks for me. My savings are in Europe, but I have to buy my PowerBook in the States. At least there's still educational pricing.

Escher
  • Reply 15 of 176
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Wasn't Bluetooth available, built-in, in the PowerBooks before today, all models? I think it was. It was AirPort Extreme that wasn't (but now is).

But I believe all five previous PowerBooks had Bluetooth built-in, right?

All Aluminum PowerBooks have had Bluetooth standard since their first intro in Jan 2003, but Airport wasn't standard on the 12" until now.

Great update. These things are going to sell like hot cakes.
  • Reply 16 of 176
    Holy cow, I just now noticed the $100 and $200 price drops on the 15" SuperDrive and 17" models! Now $2499 and $2799.

This time last year the 17" was $3299! Then dropped to $2999 last fall. Now $2799? Awesome!

Faster, better, cooler...and cheaper. What's not to love?

I wish I needed a laptop. I'm jealous of you goons buying today.

• Reply 17 of 176
    Quote:

indeed! Rockin' clamshell mode here I come!

That really makes it easier for me to justify the $300 extra for the 12-inch PowerBook. Not only do I get double the VRAM now, the spanning hack on the 12" iBook only lets you use half its VRAM (a measly 16MB). So the new 12-incher will in effect give me four times the VRAM of an iBook (in clamshell mode).

Quote:

That is the one compromise I will have to make. Oh well, I can always trade up to a 12-inch PowerBook G5 with backlit keyboard in 2005. Until then, I'll still have a kickass portable that will also function as a nice desktop with my external LCD panel and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Escher
  • Reply 18 of 176
    Australia has had a $1000AUD = $750USD price drop in the 17" PB's! That is amazing.

Im selling my "old" 17" 1.33GHZ strait away. Anyone interested!?
  • Reply 19 of 176
    What is "clamshell mode"? Is that using the laptop closed when hooked to an external display (I'm guessing it is) and just using the laptop as a really small, slim tower?

Is there a benefit to doing this? Wouldn't you want two screens, or is it an issue of desk space? I guess, with an Apple display, you could slide the closed 'Book between the legs of it?

Does my 15" SuperDrive PowerBook do this?

How does it work exactly? Is there a downside or hit, either way?
  • Reply 20 of 176
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    When using one display, all video memory is directed to the external. When using monitor spanning, the memory is split between the two. If I were gaming or 3-D modeling on an external display, I'd close the lid to have all memory available. With video or 2D work, spanning's where it's at.

Obviously, you'd need to use an external keyboard and mouse with the lid closed.