G = P?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
what is the rough equivalent for comparison between the G4 and G5 chips and the P4/Centrino/Xeon processors?

i mean, would the 1.33 Ghz G4 = about 1.6 Ghz Pentium 4?

just curious

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    There is no equivalent. Don't believe anyone that says there is. They are two very different chips that follow different basic architectures; far too different to make a blanket statement like x*G4 speed = y*P4 speed.

Any comparison would be a *very* rough one because there are so many different factors to take into account.

I recommend you read ArsTechnica's comparisons:

The Pentium 4 and the G4e: an Architectural Comparison

The Pentium 4 and the G4e: Part II: the Execution Core

The rest of Ars' CPU articles are very informative too.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

what is the rough equivalent for comparison between the G4 and G5 chips and the P4/Centrino/Xeon processors?

i mean, would the 1.33 Ghz G4 = about 1.6 Ghz Pentium 4?

just curious

It's very difficult to compare. A 350 MHz G4, for instance, will crunch the RC5-72 client almost as fast as a 3 GHz Pentium 4, but does that mean the G4 is 8-9 times faster? No.

It really depends on software optimization. You can use software that is produced for both Windows and Mac, but then you will have issues of the developer optimizing it more for a Pentium or more for a Mac. Photoshop filters tend to do really well on G4s because of AltiVec. Non-G4 optimized software does better on Pentium 4s because of their raw clock speed. One thing I have heard is that the 1.7 GHz Centrino is faster than a 2 GHz Pentium 4.

I can make a few generalizations, though. The Pentium 4 is the worst CPU available now, clock for clock providing the least performance. Then again, it's at 3.4 GHz, so that makes up for the disadvantage in efficiency somewhat. The AMD Athlon chips and the Pentium III/Centrino (basically the same chip) are quite fast for their clock speed. The G4 is REALLY fast for its clock speed. Basically, I'd say line up a 1.3 GHz G4, a 1.6 GHz Centrino, and a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4, and you'll probably see similar performance from each. But that'll vary a lot based on what you base your tests on.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    well of course we're comparing apple to oranges here, but if i said to you "the 2.0 Ghz G5 processor is equal to about a Pentium II 233 MHz with MMX technology" i'm sure many of you would cry bloody murder
  • Reply 4 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

well of course we're comparing apple to oranges here, but if i said to you "the 2.0 Ghz G5 processor is equal to about a Pentium II 233 MHz with MMX technology" i'm sure many of you would cry bloody murder

ahhhh...MMX, as the song says: "Those were the days!"

but that is the most pitifull thing I have ever seen, the g5 is at least as fast as a 500 mhz celleron with no cache