one day too early

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

well, the day before the announcements of the new powerbooks by ai, i bought a brand new 17" from the apple store. now, honestly i have little regret because it is a fantastic computer!

im just happy the announcements are about a G4 powerbook and not a G5. so in that way, if this had to happen, at least i didn;t get completely burned.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Sorry to hear about that. Stop coming here now that you have a new machine, it will keep your mind off of the rave reviews of the NEWEST computers.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

That puts you still in the ten day zone though right ?

exactly--pay the restocking fee and get a new one.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

exactly--pay the restocking fee and get a new one.

yeah, but wouldn't the restocking fee be @ $300 (10%)? thats a chunk to pay. what do you mean about the 10 window? i have never heard of that...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    you have ten days after you purchase something from an apple store to return it and get your money back (-restocking). i really think you should do it, because the new pbook could (potentially) last you more than $300 worth of time, if that makes sense. i dont think getting a new one is a necessary upgrade, but a lot depends on how you use it.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you have ten days after you purchase something from an apple store to return it and get your money back (-restocking). i really think you should do it, because the new pbook could (potentially) last you more than $300 worth of time, if that makes sense. i dont think getting a new one is a necessary upgrade, but a lot depends on how you use it.

I agree. it is worth the $300. But isn't there another policy specific to this situation? i.e. a free return or excahnge when a product is upgraded within 10 days.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    I think with just a little coaxing, that you won't have to pay the restocking fee if you're instantly replacing it with the newer model. The restocking fee is basically if you're asking for your money back and then walking out of the store. If they get to keep your money, you have more wiggle room.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 7 of 24
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

I agree. it is worth the $300. But isn't there another policy specific to this situation? i.e. a free return or excahnge when a product is upgraded within 10 days.

I think that is only for the operating system. My friend ordered a new powerbook ( when jaguar was still the top operating system) 5 days later Panther came out. So he went t o the local apple store and got a discount on panther because he ordered his computer 5 days earlier when panther came out. Sorry for the roughness. Also, Richardtruss it's two days early.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I think that is only for the operating system. My friend ordered a new powerbook ( when jaguar was still the top operating system) 5 days later Panther came out. So he went t o the local apple store and got a discount on panther because he ordered his computer 5 days earlier when panther came out. Sorry for the roughness. Also, Richardtruss it's two days early.

yes, well i would not do anything until the powerbooks come out on mon/tuesday. still, even then i am well within my window -- i bought it on tuesday of this past week. i agree that the restocking fee would be worth it, but do you think i may be able to make noise and get a discount on that? or maybe get the whole thing off? i think its defenately worth a look into anyway. would it do me any good to talk to a manager maybe tomorrow regarding that? or will they give me the typical apple response "i have no idea when the new PBs are coming out. i canbt talk about it, blah blah blah" ???
  • Reply 9 of 24
    so now they are out -- 1.5 Ghz and a 4x superdrive -- plus a reduced price. so i think im gonna go visit my apple store and trade this sucker in. i plan on talking to the manager tonight or tomorrow. i will let you all know how it goes.

any advise?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by richardtruss

any advise?

Be firm! And good luck! Even if you have to pay a $300 restocking fee, the upgrade will undoubtedly be worthwhile.

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 24
    YAY!!!!!

I talked to apple and while they are not overlooking the money, they are doing a few cool things for me:

1. net cost to me is $99

2. their 17" PBs wont be in until after the 1st, however they are going to call me and allow me to come in at that time (way past the 10 days for me) and trade my PB in then.

3. i asked them about video ram upgrade and they said that it is only though the apple store online, that the computers they get will not have the upgrade in it

(i wonder if it will be upgradeable after the fact? if i will be able to do this with an upgrade purchased? or do you have to order a 128 card....thoughts anyone?)

all in all i am happy enough. well worth the $99 and i dont have to go without a PB at all.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    VRAM will not be upgradeable after the fact. only BTO (custom order)
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

VRAM will not be upgradeable after the fact. only BTO (custom order)

well, 64 megs it is then. not a huge deal for me -- 64 seems like more than enough. BTW what does BTO stand for?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

YAY!!!!!

I talked to apple and while they are not overlooking the money, they are doing a few cool things for me:

1. net cost to me is $99

2. their 17" PBs wont be in until after the 1st, however they are going to call me and allow me to come in at that time (way past the 10 days for me) and trade my PB in then.

3. i asked them about video ram upgrade and they said that it is only though the apple store online, that the computers they get will not have the upgrade in it

(i wonder if it will be upgradeable after the fact? if i will be able to do this with an upgrade purchased? or do you have to order a 128 card....thoughts anyone?)

all in all i am happy enough. well worth the $99 and i dont have to go without a PB at all.

Great news, glad to hear it. I was pretty confident the store would take care of you. There are (like most things) both pros and cons to buying at The Apple Store. However, this is one case where you can definitely say Apple Stores ROCK!
  • Reply 15 of 24
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Is that in writing? Or from the manager?

I'd settle for nothing less.

Apple Store screwed me over once. (They rock anyway, but caveat emptor.)
  • Reply 16 of 24
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

well, 64 megs it is then. not a huge deal for me -- 64 seems like more than enough. BTW what does BTO stand for?

BTO - Build to Order (sometimes CTO - Config to Order)

If you go to the apple online store, click Buy Now on the PB,

select the 17inch (or 15), and get the 2nd page of pull down options

the first item is Graphics and you can get the 128Mb card for $50 more

you could also customize different drives, and add or subtract other options.

the resulting machine would be BTO and would ship direct to you.

The local Apple Store might be pre-ordering a few of these souped up configurations, so if they've got some 128s in their pipeline, you might not need to wait, but generally their first deliveries are of the stock config, in this case the 64Mb versions.

I second the recommendation to get things in writing and/or get on the phone to Applecare, get a case # and see what kind of trade-up they'd offer you (ie: return your PB now and get credit for Apple Online BTO which might ship later, but would allow you to pick and choose options up to x dollars.)

Documenting the dates involved may be important, but within 10 days your odds are better than most.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Is that in writing? Or from the manager?

I'd settle for nothing less.

Apple Store screwed me over once. (They rock anyway, but caveat emptor.)

i actually asked about getting that in writing, and the manager (whom i spoke with) chuckled. he said it would not be a problem and he would let all managers know whats going on. i will follow up @ the first of may. i hope i dont get screwed, but i doubt i will -- i have a pittbull for a girlfriend and she will raise hell, that is if i dont raise it first.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

i have a pittbull for a girlfriend and she will raise hell, that is if i dont raise it first.

You best raise hell first, you don't want it to look like she wears the pants.

Seriously though, good deal, and good luck.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    ITS IN!!!! I just got the call and should be picking up my new 17" PB tonight. Of course I will post and let everyone know just how beautiful it is.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Good on you richard! YOu have to realise apple resellers are just liek any other business wanting to make money.

OVer here in australia the 17" PB went from $5499 to $4299 the day the new 1.5 was released for the "old" 1.33GHZmodel. The new price on the 1.5GHZ is $4449.

So thats over $1000 dif in price and you must realise that out currency is currently 0.75 of what yours is so its not like some weird currency where 1 US$ is 50,000whetevers.

And the resellers here would say that there are no new powerbooks they are "just clearing" to make way for new stock etc.

Im glad to here that your reseller didnt screw you and allowed a $99 restocking fee or whatever!I wonder if they have that over here!

I'm lucky tho, i nearly bought a new 17" 1.33GHZ for $5499, but ended up getting one second hand for $2000AUD = $1500USD! which is pretty good!(about a month ago) Its good for AUSTRALIA anyway!