Nab 2004

pbpb
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Software updates until now:

- Shake 3.5

- DVD Studio Pro 3

- Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD (High Definition)

Source: MacBidouille.

There is also the Xsan, but it is not yet clear if it is software or hardware.

UPDATE: Motion has been also announced. It will be an After Effects competitor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Software updates until now:

- Shake 3.5

- DVD Studio Pro 3

- Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD (High Definition)

Source: MacBidouille.

There is also the Xsan, but it is not yet clear if it is software or hardware.

UPDATE: Motion has been also announced. It will be an After Effects competitor.

THere is more! just go to apple, and look. The updated FCP to FCP HD but there is a new Motion graphics package called motion. The Shake, and DVD SP # updates are there as well

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/
  • Reply 2 of 18
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Dear God. Motion shipping sometime 'this summer' and DVDSP3 shipping 'mid-May'.

Apple, you are a tiring little bitch of a mistress.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Holly CRap! MOTION is going to be as cool if not cooler than MIrage!

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/ <<--MIrage home page
  • Reply 4 of 18
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Shipping in time for the new WWDC introduced PowerMacs obviously.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Al this software (who says Apple isn't really a software company) will mean, hopefully, lots of G5 sales by the end of the year. The pros have been waiting for this stuff as a reason to buy or update their CPU's. Remember things like "Motion" may eventually be the forerunner of new iApps in the near future.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Apple is on the ball. They should have bought Alias. The particle effects in MOTION look interesting, and are probably better than the ones in Mirage because of the hole Shake tie in. I almost bought Mirage a week ago, but got ZBrush instead. I am sooo happy now.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Al this software (who says Apple really isn't really a software company) will mean, hopefully, lots of G5 sales by the end of the year. The pros have been waiting for this stuff as a reason to buy or update their CPU's. Remember things like "Motion" may eventually be the forerunner of new iApps in the near future.

Very true, or even those wishing for features like this in iMovie might just have to start becoming power users. iMovie is a tricky thing, because once you get hooked to DV editing, you want to be able to do more as soon as you've mastered iMovie. Maybe Apple will make a dumbed down, more ease-of-use version of Motion? iMovie 5-Easy to do motion, titles, and graphic effects.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    It just keeps getting better the more I read

Quote:

Originally posted @ Apple.com/DVD studio Pro site

DTS Audio

DVD Studio Pro supports all professional DVD audio formats by adding DTS multi-channel audio, a high-quality industry standard audio format. Use bundled A.Pack compression software for encoding AC-3 files for Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, or for uncompressed two-channel stereo.

If you take a true DTS setup, and create a rear surround channel out of the rear stereo channel you have true THX sound. That's the only difference between DTS, and THX I sh*t you not.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Holly CRap! MOTION is going to be as cool if not cooler than MIrage!

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/ <<--MIrage home page

And cheaper even if you, like me, bought the pre release of Mirage\
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericg

And cheaper even if you, like me, bought the pre release of Mirage\

I was going to about a week ago, but decided to get a Zbrush license instead... I'm pretty happy about that now.

[EDIT] OMG! I didn't see that it was only $299
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Apple says

"DVD Studio Pro supports all professional DVD audio formats by adding DTS multi-channel audio..."

does that include 192/24 and maybe even SACD ( whatever that format is called)?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Is anyone else *thrilled* that Apple brought back the Graphical Viewer in DVDSP3? I didn't even bother upgrading to 2.0 because of this little oversight.

[edit:] oooh! Now this little part is interesting:

Quote:

In addition to DVD-R and DVD-RAM, DVD Studio Pro 3 now supports the widest range of output file formats by adding DVD+R, -RW and +RW for maximum compatibility with computer DVD players and burners. Distribution output formats include industry standards DDP and CMF. You can also read and write to digital linear tape (DLT) for delivery to DVD replication vendors or for archiving purposes.

Hmmm. Looks like Apple is playing nice with the new 107's.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by maclogic

Apple says

"DVD Studio Pro supports all professional DVD audio formats by adding DTS multi-channel audio..."

does that include 192/24 and maybe even SACD ( whatever that format is called)?

A Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) is not a DVD format. I'm not sure if it would be in DVD SP3, but I would expect it in iTunes first because it's a sound format originally intended solely for Music, and it's not a DVD format.

DVD Players (HARDWARE) have adopted it because the manufacturers realized it was fairly easy to get both out of one laser, but DVD's have not adopted the Super Audio CD technology that I know of.

Quote:

oooh! Now this little part is interesting:

Hmmm. Looks like Apple is playing nice with the new 107's

FYI I've burned a DVD+R using DVD SP 2
  • Reply 14 of 18
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Lost in all the Apple software announcements was the following concerning Firewire and High Def video. Big day all around for Cupertino.

Quote:

NAB, LAS VEGAS (April 18, 2004) -- Panasonic and Apple today announced the world?s first implementation of IEEE 1394 FireWire with 100 Mbps DV-HD (the native video compression of Panasonic DVCPRO HD recording systems) to bring unmatched capabilities and dramatically lower price points to high definition (HD) post-production and content distribution.

More here.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    To me, the most exciting part of these announcments is the HD capabilities of FCP. When HD production comes down in price, we can expect much more of our entertainment to be delivered in HD.

Now for a bit of clarification:

Quote:

If you take a true DTS setup, and create a rear surround channel out of the rear stereo channel you have true THX sound. That's the only difference between DTS, and THX I sh*t you not.

THX is a certification not a specific surround format.

DTS and THX are not mutually exclusive. It is not neccessary to be DTS 6.1 (Discrete or Matrix) in order to be THX. THX does not neccessarily have a rear surround channel.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    dude, motion's gonna kick ass!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Now for a bit of clarification:

THX is a certification not a specific surround format.

DTS and THX are not mutually exclusive. It is not neccessary to be DTS 6.1 (Discrete or Matrix) in order to be THX. THX does not neccessarily have a rear surround channel.

I didn't say they were mutually exclusive, or that THX was specific surround format. I said if you add a rear surround channel to a DTS set up you would have a qualified THX.. Well I'll get the quote.

Quote:

If you take a true DTS setup, and create a rear surround channel out of the rear stereo channel you have true THX sound. That's the only difference between DTS, and THX I sh*t you not

Ok, pardon me I left out a detail, or two. THX itself is not a specific sound format, but THX surround (note the surround) is not possible without the rear surround channel. this applies to a 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 system. Sorry for the flakey details.

If your sound setup is certified DTS with a rear Stereo channel you will make THX surround certification with that alteration. I have that on high authority.

I will say no more on this.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

If your sound setup is certified DTS with a rear Stereo channel you will make THX surround certification with that alteration. I have that on high authority.

'rear Stereo channel'?

'THX surround certification'?

None of the THX certifications have stereo rear surround.

You might be thinking of THX Surround EX which was introduced to the Select level in 2000. Even then, it still has absolutely nothing to do with DTS.