iPod: PC vs Mac formatted

zozo
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
is there any difference performance wise?

I currently have mine formatted in HFS+ so I guess I can't use it on a PC (unless they have various third party software).

If I keep it formatted for PC compatibility but use it 99% of the time on my Mac, does it make a difference?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I hear that it is slightly slower if it is PC formatted, but nothing too bad. I wasn't aware that you couldn't use a Mac formatted one on a PC. What revision do you have?

By the way, iPod = Digital Hub. Just for future reference.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I think that the performance hit would be negligible if there is one. My HSF iPod stutters when going between menus now, but I think it's because it's almost filled not that it's a HSF formatted drive.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

If I keep it formatted for PC compatibility but use it 99% of the time on my Mac, does it make a difference?

So you can format an iPod in "PC format," and use it with both a Mac and Wintel box without 3rd party software? Since I'm in a mixer household, it would be great if I could use the iPod both with our Wintel box and my Mac.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    the iPod does not work across both Mac and Windows. Once it's formatted, that 's computer you have to use. you can always do a software restore to reformat on whatever computer, but you cant do both. I suggest buying another iPod for the family
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I think that the performance hit would be negligible if there is one. My HSF iPod stutters when going between menus now, but I think it's because it's almost filled not that it's a HSF formatted drive.

my iPod menus have always been a little slow. is that because it's like, completely filled? i wasn't aware that that made a difference...?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

So you can format an iPod in "PC format," and use it with both a Mac and Wintel box without 3rd party software? Since I'm in a mixer household, it would be great if I could use the iPod both with our Wintel box and my Mac.

Escher

yeah you can.

A colleague just gave me his iPod (3rd gen, 15GB) to put some files on it. I have a Mac and iTune saw it no problem, and I even uploaded some of my songs onto his iPod... and it is "PC Formatted" as I saw in the Get Info.

To see the Mac formatted iPod on a PC you'll need an application like MacDrive (they also make that app called Xplay that was the first PC app to play iPods, etc... Apple chose Music Match in the end... and the rest is history)

http://www.mediafour.com/

So, in conclusion, formatting your iPod to "PC Format" is the best bet...

Does Windows have any limitations with size for firewire drives? Do I need WinXP Service Pack 3.2bis release 4 beta 2 or something like that? I have a 40GB iPod...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    oh cool.. just saw this from the Mediafour website

Quote:

Play now great with iTunes!

XPlay 2 is now available, and enables use of Mac-formatted iPods with iTunes for Windows.

With XPlay, you can use your Mac iPod with Windows and keep it Mac-formatted!

Try the new free XPlay 2 Test Drive--even if you've already tried a previous XPlay Test Drive.

For more information, see the XPlay Product Page.

• Reply 8 of 19
    I got my 3rd gen iPod in December before I switched back to mac. At the time, I formatted it for PC. After I got my PB, I kept the iPod in windows format. It works fine on both platforms. For me, it makes more sense to keep it PC format. That way I can use it as a firewire disk and transport files from my winXP machine at work to my PB at home. I can also access the music library on my PC at work using a freeware program called ephpod. It lets you use your iPod as a player and play through windows media player or iTunes.

As you are all probably aware, AppleCare does not "support" cross platform use. However, they've told me that nothing really bad can happen from such use.

Do the 3rd party software solutions allow you to use a HFS formatted iPod on a PC as a firewire disk? If they don't, I truly believe that NTFS format is the way to go: plug and play on both platforms as a firewire disk and workable options for music play with 3rd party software on the PC.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    So if I formatted my iPod in "PC Format", could I still auto-sync with my library on my Mac? Or will the iPod only auto sync with the PC.

Mike
  • Reply 10 of 19
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

So if I formatted my iPod in "PC Format", could I still auto-sync with my library on my Mac? Or will the iPod only auto sync with the PC.

Mike

The iPod will only auto-sync with one computer regardless if it is a Mac or a PC. You can operate the iPod in manual mode on the Mac if it is PC formatted, but not the other way around.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I am guessing that the PC format is just a Fat32 (or 16?/umsdos) filesystem. I would keep it like that so I can transfer files with it to any computer I see... almost all OSs support the Fat filesystem so that would be an added bonus. While it may not use such features as syncing it can still be seen as a mass storage device on most OSs so it can still be used.

Correct me if I am wrong... I don't own an iPod, cus i'm po.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I was mistaken in my previous post: windows format for the iPod is FAT32 not NTFS.

As far as auto-synching; my PC-formatted iPod auto-synchs every time I launch iTunes on my PowerBook.

So, I will reiterate the sentiment from my previous post (which echoes/amplifies Wickes post); I think PC formatting for the iPod gives more versatility if you want to use it in a windows environment and you lose none of the music playing functionality in either mac or windows environments.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I think that if you use PC format and you manually create playlists on the iPod, you can't do smart playlists and you can't name the iPod and have the name stick. At least this was my experience prior to the latest firmware for the older generation (1.2x).
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I think that if you use PC format and you manually create playlists on the iPod, you can't do smart playlists and you can't name the iPod and have the name stick. At least this was my experience prior to the latest firmware for the older generation (1.2x).

you can create smart playlists on the iPod...i do it all the time.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

you can create smart playlists on the iPod...i do it all the time.

how 'bout you READ my post?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Off to Digital Hub!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Off to Digital Hub!

It's still in GD.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

how 'bout you READ my post?

i thought i had...

Quote:

if you use PC format and you manually create playlists on the iPod, you can't do smart playlists

• Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

i thought i had...

Ah, I see. My point was regarding using the PC formatted iPod with a Mac. So I guess I should have said "if you use a PC formatted iPod with a Mac you can't manually create smart playlists". Sorry for the confusion.