The future of iChat...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It is known that sometimes the Apple job boards are an excellent source for up and coming goodies from our favorite fruit company and today while browsing I found the following...

Quote:

iChat Audio DSP Engineer

Key technical contributor to an exciting project on next generation conferencing technology. You will be responsible for all audio processing including, acoustic echo cancellation, noise reduction, codecs for this product. You will need demonstrated experience in relevant technology at a detailed level. You should be able to design, implement, optimize and debug audio algorithms.

MS in EE, PhD preferred. Will consider new college grad with emphasis on Audio DSP. 2+ years of experience at engineer level ideally with a videoconferencing product. Must have demonstrated ability to ship a product

- Excellent coding skills in c

- Practical experience in real time programming and debugging.

- Detailed knowledge of signal processing algorithms.

- Audio signal processing

- Audio noise reduction

- Acoustic echo cancellation

- Audio compression technology ( G722.1, AMR, G729)

What caught my eye is this: "next generation conferencing technology"

Currently iChat does not do any sort of video conferencing, at least I do not consider one on one video conferencing. Take it for what its worth...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Hmmmm...

Interesting indeed.

When you say video conferencing, you mean the ability to display a video feed of multiple people in a meeting. Not simply video chatting person to person, right?

Mike
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    An EE isn't needed for software, but for hardware. Think iSight 2, not iChat 3.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Hmmmm...

Interesting indeed.

When you say video conferencing, you mean the ability to display a video feed of multiple people in a meeting. Not simply video chatting person to person, right?

Mike

Right. When I think of video conferencing I think of me with my iSight and you with your iSight and Kickaha with his iSight, etc etc all doing video chat together, at the same time; hence the term conferencing.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

An EE isn't needed for software, but for hardware. Think iSight 2, not iChat 3.

Perhaps we will see updates to both around the time Mac OS 10.4 comes out, which I will assume is when we will see iChat 3.

If the iPod proves anything to Apples trinket of toys (iPod and iSight are the only ones for now I guess...) there will be a 2G iSight...