12" or 15"?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hello all, I'm looking to purchase a new powerbook now that they released the upgrade. I absolutly love the sleek little 12"!

I can carry it around without noticing it's there. Which is nice concidering I walk alot. However it still seems dumbed down in comparision to the 15". so I'm having trouble justifing my "burden" convenience. Mostly I just use illustrator, photoshop and flash, as well as word and entourage. On the horizon however is some video editing, music and some big 3d stuff.

I figure when the g5 pops its pb head I'll jump on the second version, but as we all know that could be a solid year from now. Hopefully they will include the 12" in the VIP party during that run. In the mean time, what to do...

I like the fw800 but I dont have any equip (presently) that uses that, + the network I use is 10/100, not gigabit ethernet. The thing that seems to bite the most is the lack of the pci slot. how nessisary is that really? (I've never had the option before with my imac g3). the other downer is the aestetic stuff like the back lit keys (swank) and the screen size, but I can always tie to a bigger monitor (usually I work at two different locations so I can count on having at least one extra monitor at either).

Does any one have any thoughts, preferances or opinions?

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    The 12" size is cool if you can live with the tiny screen. Spanning to a larger monitor would help a lot. It's seriously tempting at $1200 for a refurb from Apple. If you are planning on upgrading to the G5 powerbook in a year or so, then you should probably buy the 12" now. The backlit keyboard on the 15" is cool, but it's not worth an extra $900 (over the refurb 12") to get it IMO. The cardbus expansion is good if you want to use an external wi-fi card and antenna, or a GPS receiver. Other than those 2 cards, I don't see any use for it at this time. Powerbooks are OK for modeling & light 3D rendering, but when you get serious you'll want the powermac tower with as much ram as you can afford.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    15 all the way! 12" are too small, the 15" is big, more power, not as wimpy, looks better, i like it because i do video editing, butm hey, it rocks for everything else too!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    The 12'' is just as powerful. You would not notice a difference.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ooh, you're using color too?! YAY!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    12" PB

Small & Sleek

Sexy

Cool

15' PB

Backlit keyboard (Optional)

Can get the faster processor

Better Video Card

Personally, if it came down to the highend 12" and the low end 15", I would go for the 12-incher.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, if you're serious about jumping on a G5-based PowerBook in the next 12-18 months (and yes, people...that's probably about how long it'll be so shut up about 'em already ), then maybe getting the 12" is the thing to do, viewing it as a "stopgap", hold-me-over purchase.

I would.

But if you're like me and not one to buy a new Mac everytime a new model is released (ahem...murbot), then you can do what I did and spring for the 15", knowing it'll take you through the next 2-3 years and sports all the cool futureproofing specs and eye-candy doodads (FireWire 800, PC card slot, lighted keyboard, audio-in, wide array of video-out capabilities, roomy display/resolution, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth already onboard and ready to go, etc.).

A choice you'll have to make, depending on the type of buyer/user you are and whatnot.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member

Oh my, a colorful thread!

If you need something to just hold you over until a G5 PB (which really could take quite a while)... I'd say the 12" PB. Since you're going to have an external monitor when you're at a fixed location, that should give you plenty of screen space.

As for the lack of a PC Card slot, unless you have a specific need for something (i.e. flash card reader) to use in the slot, I don't think you'd be missing much. Between USB/Firewire 400, that should cover most of your expansion needs.

If it were me, I'd just get the 12" PB, then use the $400 difference between that and the 15" PB to upgrade things like memory, HD to add a little performance/snappiness to the machine. The 64MB FX5200 should be good enough for the type of work you'd be doing on it I imagine.

• Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Personally, if it came down to the highend 12" and the low end 15", I would go for the 12-incher.

well, yeah...me too, i was talking if we were comparing both high-end models, sorry. oh, and i didn't realize you had an external monitor, in that case, go for the higj-end 12"
  • Reply 9 of 15
    My situation is much more complex. I do not have an external display, but I have figured that I will add one later when I earn the money to be able to afford one.

For the time being, I would use the 12'' screen as my main display, and to me that is acceptable until I get the 17'' one I buy. There is about a 600 dollar difference in price from the configuration I want on the 12'' to the 15'' I would want.

That difference alone is the price of an Apple 17'' display (education), but I dont think I'll just bite the bullet all at once (by asking my parents for a loan) and I'll stick with my 12'' because it is, by all means, nearly as powerful in everything....but sooooo much more portable for a college student, constantly on the go.

So....I'm gonna get the 12'' tomorrow (unless I change my mind again, and screw over my parents in the short term) and buy a display later when I can. I think that's the best value for my money. I might even be able to pick up some decent CRT, costing like 200 bucks or something.

Any reccomendations or suggestions for what I actually should do?

The other problem I was thinking....**** listen to this! The 14'' iBook has a larger screen, but is less portable and has the same resolution as the 12'' Powerbook. It costs much less still, in total about $330 less (with a superdrive upgrade).

What would you do?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    In your case, I'd get the 12" SuperDrive PowerBook. Then ask for a display for Christmas.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

In your case, I'd get the 12" SuperDrive PowerBook. Then ask for a display for Christmas.

Oh my, my oh my! That is glorious advice. hahahaa, i love the idea.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    My parents still owe me a graduation, birthday, and Christmas present.

12" PB, here I come.

That'll come in wicked handy in paramedic school

I can't wait!!!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    macworkmacwork Posts: 57member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

well, yeah...me too, i was talking if we were comparing both high-end models, sorry. oh, and i didn't realize you had an external monitor, in that case, go for the higj-end 12"

what does the "mini DVI" mean on the 12" PB?

is there an adapter required to connect to a monitor. I have a 22" Sony CRT (kick ass btw) so I would need an adapter to connect to a 12" PB?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

But if you buy the display on the same receipt as the Powerbook, then the Powerbook's Applecare applies to the display
  • Reply 15 of 15
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macwork

what does the "mini DVI" mean on the 12" PB?

is there an adapter required to connect to a monitor. I have a 22" Sony CRT (kick ass btw) so I would need an adapter to connect to a 12" PB?

Yep, a little $19.00 thing. No biggie, check "Apple Accessories" in the online store...Mini DVI?>DVI or Mini DVI?>VGA, or Mini DVI?>S-Video...one of those.