Connect to the internet w/ T616, AT&T, PBook, Bluetooth...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I have a T616 with AT&T service and was wondering if its possible to connect to the internet with this phone using bluetooth?

I have AT&T service. Do I have to subscribe to one of their data services or do I can I dial into my existing ISP? Their data plans are really expensive and I'm hoping not to have to pay anything extra... I'd just like to be able to check a quick web page and get e-mail when I can't have Wi-Fi, wired, or other net access...

Thanks for the help

-taco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Hey guys,

I have a T616 with AT&T service and was wondering if its possible to connect to the internet with this phone using bluetooth?

I have AT&T service. Do I have to subscribe to one of their data services or do I can I dial into my existing ISP? Their data plans are really expensive and I'm hoping not to have to pay anything extra... I'd just like to be able to check a quick web page and get e-mail when I can't have Wi-Fi, wired, or other net access...

Thanks for the help

-taco

Sadly, what you're looking for is support for CSD, or circuit switched data, which att does not support. its possible to tether your phone to your laptop, but to browse the web on their data prices would put you in the poor house before google returned a search result. i was very dissapointed when i found this out for myself. i honestly dont care if i can only get 14.4k, i want to browse the web from my palm dammit!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Can't you use it as a modem and dial into your ISP? I know it would only be 9.6k, but it's better than nothing.

To set it up, you can use the Bluetooth Setup Assistant.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    nope, att's network does not support this, trust me, ive looked at every possible option.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

nope, att's network does not support this, trust me, ive looked at every possible option.

Yikes. Just be glad that by the end of the year there won't be an ATTWS. I've got Cingular and I use the new $20 unlimited GPRS via bluetooth to both my Palm T1 and my PowerBook. You'll have that too.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ya, att's data service sucks ass. my brother had tmobile and switched to att. thinking data prices would be the same, he was on mMode all the time, and then he got a 400$ bill in the mail
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Can I use my T610 as a dialup modem on T-Mobile?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Can I use my T610 as a dialup modem on T-Mobile?

Yeah- they have a $20 unlimited plan for t-mode or whatever their service is called...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    What I want to be able to do is use my EXISTING MINUTES to dial in, check my e-mail and maybe weather info or something, and then log out. That's not possible with my Powerbook, T610, and bluetooth?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Yikes. Just be glad that by the end of the year there won't be an ATTWS. I've got Cingular and I use the new $20 unlimited GPRS via bluetooth to both my Palm T1 and my PowerBook. You'll have that too.

Yeah! I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that their merging with Cingular... How fast is your connection?

I also noticed that AT&T's GSM coverage area has been expanded significantly! I can now use my phone in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (my home) and not just at school (Michigan State).
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

What I want to be able to do is use my EXISTING MINUTES to dial in, check my e-mail and maybe weather info or something, and then log out. That's not possible with my Powerbook, T610, and bluetooth?

simple, just turn on BT on the phone, tell the pb to use it as a modem, and then dial up
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

simple, just turn on BT on the phone, tell the pb to use it as a modem, and then dial up

Yes- you can do that, but AT&T's data plans are required even if you want to "use your existing minutes". They don't allow you to dial into your existing ISP...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

This is possible with T-Moible. I used to do it. Go through the Bluetooth Setup Assistant and enter all your ISP info. Otherwise you can manually add the Bluetooth modem in System Prefs.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Yeah! I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that their merging with Cingular... How fast is your connection?

I also noticed that AT&T's GSM coverage area has been expanded significantly! I can now use my phone in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (my home) and not just at school (Michigan State).

It's slow. Slightly slower than standard dial up. It's fine for checking email and AIM, but if you want to do web surfing turn off images. Another thing to do with the web is surf PDA sized sites. They're smaller and less graphic intensive so they load much faster.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

This is possible with T-Moible. I used to do it. Go through the Bluetooth Setup Assistant and enter all your ISP info. Otherwise you can manually add the Bluetooth modem in System Prefs.

Cool. 8)