Fire v1.0 released

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
After more than 14 months in development, v1.0 of Fire was released today. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Fire is an IM-client like Adium, and it also supports multiple protocols.

http://fire.sourceforge.net/

Quote:

The Fire team is pleased to announce the availability of Fire 1.0... the culmination of 14 months of development effort.

Download: for Mac OS X 10.1 | for Mac OS X 10.2 or later

I've waited for this a long time to get 1.0. Now we'll see if it holds to that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Did they work only one day every month?

I'm sorry but this is still by far the ugliest and most convoluted multi-IM-client. Proteus and Adium have this horrid software beat.

Back in the DP3 days, Fire was cool...because there was nothing like it around and no competition to compare it to. But 5 years later, it hasn't changed... much.

Sure, it supports more service features than Adium and Proteus...but it's so ugly and messy in its implementation, you might as well just use the official clients.

Anyways...I'm giving it a try for 2 or 3 days.

Once Adium and Proteus get MSN file transfer and group chat, Fire will be a mere memory of geeklust back in the OS X dev stages.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I remember Fire, Oh man where those the days. I probably wont even bother trying this one out. Proteus fills all my needs for now.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    i used fire for a while, then i switched to proteus, neither of them filled my needs, they were glitchy, now proteus is out, i like it, but i'll give fire a chance, for old times sake.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Once Adium and Proteus get MSN file transfer and group chat, Fire will be a mere memory of geeklust back in the OS X dev stages.

Adium won't have MSN group chat any time soon, though, unfortunately.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    does fire now work with address book (like iChat does). Weird that there is no third-party chat that does. Proteus does a little bit, but not really so that it matters. pretty bad i would say
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by dividend

does fire now work with address book (like iChat does). Weird that there is no third-party chat that does.

You haven't looked at Adium X lately, have you?

• Reply 7 of 14
    going to.... thanx
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

does fire now work with address book (like iChat does). Weird that there is no third-party chat that does. Proteus does a little bit, but not really so that it matters. pretty bad i would say

Have you been living under a rock? Proteus has had this since Proteus 2.

• Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Adium won't have MSN group chat any time soon, though, unfortunately.

How come?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    well, i use proteus, but it does not work like ichat, it is much worse. in fact, i don't really see the what it really does that is usefull in terms of address book - like, to get the screen names from address book like ichat
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

well, i use proteus, but it does not work like ichat, it is much worse. in fact, i don't really see the what it really does that is usefull in terms of address book - like, to get the screen names from address book like ichat

It works better than iChat...it fetches name, nickname and picture as well as allows you to use your vCard for your profile first name, last name and picture.

It automatically detects people in your Address Book that have IM account entries if they're on your contact list...no need to manually synch them. If they don't, you can link your Proteus contact up with the correct person in the Address Book.

Making a meta-contact (a contact that has more than one account) by simply dropping one account onto another or adding the account via the Contact Info window automatically updates the Address Book.

What else were you looking for?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Do both audium and proteus support audio and vid chat?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    didn't find out that proteus could do that... need to have a closer look again!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Did they work only one day every month?

LOL - thats rich.