Obligatory 2004 NBA Playoffs Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    TALK ABOUT A REAL TEAM, THE TIMBERPUPPIES BABY!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 44
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Hahaha Shaq has no talent at all. If I were that tall and fat I would be averaging more points per game than Wilt Chamberlin did. Can't make anythin past a 2 ft jump shot...and hell he makes those less than half the time. Plus, he cheats by lodging his elbow into everyone and if you come anywhere near 2 ft of him and try to play defense you'll get called for a foul. Shaq is a joke and so are the Fakers.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Hahaha Shaq has no talent at all. If I were that tall and fat I would be averaging more points per game than Wilt Chamberlin did.

You know, your first sentence lost you any credibility you may have had. Sometimes the ignorance in here is astounding. There are taller players than Shaq who don't average anything near what Shaq does, so what makes you think you would do any better?

Quote:

Can't make anythin past a 2 ft jump shot...and hell he makes those less than half the time.

I don't know how percentages work in your parallel world, but Shaq led the league in shooting, as he usually does, shooting over 58%. In the real world that translates into much better than "half the time".
    Quote:

Shaq is a joke and so are the Fakers.

Awww, a Laker hater....how cute. Must suck rooting for whoever shitty team you must be rooting for eh?...how many years has it been since their last championship?
  • Reply 24 of 44
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    When I think Laker fans I think, Jack. Now there's a hardcore fan who got himself a front row seat.

Yeah it sucks rooting for a losing team but at least I'm loyal, unlike those band wagon jumping frauds...
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

When I think Laker fans I think, Jack. Now there's a hardcore fan who got himself a front row seat.

Yeah it sucks rooting for a losing team but at least I'm loyal, unlike those band wagon jumping frauds...

My post wasn't directed at you O-Mac. I respect your being a loyal fan in the good and the bad times.

I agree about Nicholson. Man, if I could afford a courtside seat....I'd probably get tossed out by the refs too often.

I wonder how much courtside fans are "allowed" to say during a game. To the refs or the players.

Yesterday while driving to pick up some food, I was listening to the Lakers game and during a timeout (the refs were trying to figure out something) you could hear Malone during a pause tell someone: "don't tell me that. I've been in the league too ****ing long for that"....lol It was great.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    To be that close to the gameplay would be awesome...If I could afford it, i'd get them too...I once got to go to a golf tournament where real PGA players were playing. Now, golf is probably boring to a lot of people but if you like to play the game and you get to watch real pro's play up close you quickly understand what they mean by 'these guys are good'...unless you've been around golf all your life you just can't appreciate how good those players are until you've seen them up play up close...

With so much negative press on sports these days you lose out on how good these players are.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    i know it's not the forum but i used to sit in the row behind the visitors bench at bucks games. it could get hilarious at times. especially at the end of the season with teams that no longer had play-off hopes.

one observation....everytime the knicks came to town (this was about 6 years ago) ewing would be injured and on the bench in this ratty grey pinstripe suit that looks like it came from montgomery wards. i saw it three times in two years! it must have been his milwaukee suit. good enough for picking up chicks at victor's after the game.

as for this years playoffs, tonight's (4-20) nets/knicks game is a prime example why the east-west playoff formula should be scrapped. the knicks and the celtics have no place being in the play-offs. i'd much rather see the jazz and the trailblazers. no under .500 teams should be allowed. especially a team 10 (!) games under .500.

i mean, the nets are acting like this is an exhibition game or even better they are the globetrotters and the knicks are the washington generals.

the knicks only chance is if the nets get so sloppy they forget how to play against a competitive team.

no check that.......the knicks have no chance.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar i know it's not the forum but i used to sit in the row behind the visitors bench at bucks games. it could get hilarious at times. especially at the end of the season with teams that no longer had play-off hopes.

That's awesome. How did you get those tickets? So how much can a courtside or first row fan get away with during a game? Did you ever see the refs telling a fan to shut up or else?

The "best" seats I ever had(through a lawyer friend who used to let me have them when out of town) were row 8 center back when the Lakers still played at the Forum. But the best part about those seats was that they came with access to the Forum Club which was where all the celebrities and VIPs used to hang out before/after games and at halftime.
    Quote:

i mean, the nets are acting like this is an exhibition game or even better they are the globetrotters and the knicks are the washington generals.

Oh, come on man, those games were fun to watch! Go Generals!
  • Reply 29 of 44
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Phil Jackson isn't going to continue the Lakers' dynasty this year. Karl Malone had a good game last night. Let's see what will the lowly Lakers' do on Friday night at the Toyota Center?
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

That's awesome. How did you get those tickets? So how much can a courtside or first row fan get away with during a game? Did you ever see the refs telling a fan to shut up or else?

The "best" seats I ever had(through a lawyer friend who used to let me have them when out of town) were row 8 center back when the Lakers still played at the Forum. But the best part about those seats was that they came with access to the Forum Club which was where all the celebrities and VIPs used to hang out before/after games and at halftime. Oh, come on man, those games were fun to watch! Go Generals!

the record store i managed was a ticketmaster, 6p.m. day of game the seats behind the bench always came up. (except bulls and lakers) they were 50 bucks i think.

i never saw the refs tell anyone anything but once a loud guy heckling someone on the raptors (charles oakley) got a beer dumped on him from a milwaukee fan (he was annoying everyone) and the toronto bench gave the dumper a standing ovation.

one other thing i remember was when dikembe mutumbo would come out from halftime he wouldn't shoot around with his team (atlanta hawks at the time) mates, he would go to the scorers table and grab a stat sheet while everyone shook their heads.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Phil Jackson isn't going to continue the Lakers' dynasty this year. Karl Malone had a good game last night. Let's see what will the lowly Lakers' do on Friday night at the Toyota Center?

actually he would be trying to start a new one as the lakers weren't champions last year.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

(except bulls and lakers) they were 50 bucks i think.

i never saw the refs tell anyone anything but once a loud guy heckling someone on the raptors (charles oakley) got a beer dumped on him from a milwaukee fan (he was annoying everyone) and the toronto bench gave the dumper a standing ovation.

one other thing i remember was when dikembe mutumbo would come out from halftime he wouldn't shoot around with his team (atlanta hawks at the time) mates, he would go to the scorers table and grab a stat sheet while everyone shook their heads.

50 bucks??? That would have gotten you parking and 2 drinks here in LA..lol..Great stories man, thanks. By the way, could you hear a lot of what the bench/coaches yelled out to the players on the court, or t the refs?

Kenneth: Phil Jackson probably won't be back next year unless they win everything. Kobe detests Jackson, and should Kobe decide to re-sign with the Lakers, Jackson would be an issue. So much so that Dr. Buss, the owner, broke off negotiations earlier this year.

Jackson will end up with the Lakers in some capacity, if not coaching. That's one of the perks of dating the owner's daughter.

And "lowly" Lakers? lol oook. Underachieving or even overrated, maybe. Considering the Kobe stuff and all the injuries they had this year let me remind you they still won the Pacific division. Something which the team you root for probably didn't even come close to doing?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    T-wolves 2 - 0!!!!
  • Reply 34 of 44
    I'm a Magic fan too, so the playoffs aren't holding my interest as much as they usually do (okay, the first round at least!). I'm rootin for the twolves this year round. As much as i admire the lakers and spurs for their previous wins, I'm a little bored of seeing the same teams win. Plus the mavs and kings couldn't win a championship even if given a 2 game start.

To be honest the league has been pretty boring for a while now. I don't know if it's the personality-less fundamentals-only imports or the 35-40% predetermined east west games every year, but it doesn't seem as exciting as it used to be (yeh i'm only 19, but i've been a fan for a while...) Maybe lebron can save us...

Or maybe i'm just annoyed because the first time the magic get a decent draft pick since shaq and webber/penny days there's no one that stands out (oh why couldn't we be a year earlier...)
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:

Or maybe i'm just annoyed because the first time the magic get a decent draft pick since shaq and webber/penny days there's no one that stands out (oh why couldn't we be a year earlier...) [/B]

The Magic will f-up any pick number one or not. For Okafors' sake I hope they don't draft him. If they do his back is sure to go out requiring numerous surgeries for some indefinite period of time which will be spent playing NBA Street Vol.2 with Grant Hill. I've seen plenty of talent since the Shaq era come and go, Ben Wallace for example, and have little faith that management will pull a team together in the off season good enough to keep T-Mac once he can opt out of his contract. They finally gave Gabriel the boot but the new G.M.s' only experience was with hockey. WTF are the owners thinking. After the past several seasons draft errors and trade misfortunes the Magic turn to hockey for help. Orlando is a strange place to live and the Magic fit right in.

Still, I hope we land first pick, steal a big in some free angent deal, and that Hill enters the O-rena sprinting into a series of cartwheels
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

You know, your first sentence lost you any credibility you may have had. Sometimes the ignorance in here is astounding. There are taller players than Shaq who don't average anything near what Shaq does, so what makes you think you would do any better?

I don't know how percentages work in your parallel world, but Shaq led the league in shooting, as he usually does, shooting over 58%. In the real world that translates into much better than "half the time". Awww, a Laker hater....how cute. Must suck rooting for whoever shitty team you must be rooting for eh?...how many years has it been since their last championship?

Like I said, he makes around half those shots...so obviously I was pretty close. Sorry I didn't check his stats, and I highly doubt he shoots over 58% from the field...I will even look the stats up to see if you're right. The point is, it aint that hard to make half your shots when they are from 2 ft away from the basket.

And if you check my post, you'd know it is obvious who the "shitty team" I must be rooting for is. I've been an Indiana Pacers fan since they had Chuck "Rifleman" Person and were playing the Celtics in the playoffs. That traslates to ever since I've watched/played basketball. Sorry that some of us dont root for "teams" that must cheat or buy championships. But hey, call me next time the Fake Show is in the lottery and we'll see how big of a "fan" you are then. The only Faker fans are A-list Holywood celebs.

BTW, my "shitty team" won an NBA-best 61 games this season. They must be pretty shitty.

Go Pacers.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:

Like I said, he makes around half those shots...so obviously I was pretty close. Sorry I didn't check his stats, and I highly doubt he shoots over 58% from the field...I will even look the stats up to see if you're right. The point is, it aint that hard to make half your shots when they are from 2 ft away from the basket.

LOL, "nice" backpedaling there...lol. You said, and I quote, "and hell he makes those less than half the time". Lame. Funny you ignored the link I provided as proof. I'm sure you know how to click on links....so try clicking on the link next time. Or maybe you'd like the official NBA stats. I'll be waiting for you to prove me wrong. Go for it.(In fact he shot over 58%. 58.4 to be exact.)
    Quote:

And if you check my post, you'd know it is obvious who the "shitty team" I must be rooting for is. I've been an Indiana Pacers fan since they had Chuck "Rifleman" Person and were playing the Celtics in the playoffs. That traslates to ever since I've watched/played basketball.

Ahh, that explains it. I feel your pain lol. All those years of not winning anything. Must suck. lol
    Quote:

Sorry that some of us dont root for "teams" that must cheat or buy championships. But hey, call me next time the Fake Show is in the lottery and we'll see how big of a "fan" you are then.

Boohoo. Stop whining man. Says a lot about you when you're crying about your team's inability to beat a team of "fakers". lol
    Quote:

BTW, my "shitty team" won an NBA-best 61 games this season. They must be pretty shitty.

I don't dislike the Pacers, but I may dislike their fans if they whine to the point you are. I'm not gonna diminish the Pacers accomplishments this year, but do you think they would've won 61 games if they played in the western conference? Hmmm. I'll be waiting for you to prove me wrong about Shaq shooting 58% this year. Good luck.
    Quote:

The only Faker fans are A-list Holywood celebs.

Didn't know there were so many of them. I mean, considering 500,000 plus fans cheered the Lakers in those championship victory parades. LAME.
  • Reply 38 of 44

its called hop on the wagon......kinda like how the Cavs sold out games this season because of Lebron James...you think any of those people cared about them last yr?? your team could have 3250238532908598325 fans for all I care......the majority of them are more than likely bandwagon fans

Do I think the Pacers would win 61 if they were in the Western Conference? Absolutely. Granted top to bottom the Western Conference is MUCH stronger, a good team is a good team.....and this team is for real. It doesnt matter where you play.

Indiana Pacers record vs. the West:

20-8= .714 winning percentage

Los Angeles Lakers conference record:

31-21= .596 winning percentage

The Pacers also slumped in the 2nd half a bit....they couldve easily won 65-67 games

@ "whining"......ok I will just call Faker "fans" arrogant then

P.S. Go Rockets
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:

its called hop on the wagon......kinda like how the Cavs sold out games this season because of Lebron James...you think any of those people cared about them last yr?? your team could have 3250238532908598325 fans for all I care......the majority of them are more than likely bandwagon fans

Right, I forgot only Pacers fans aren't bandwaggoners...lol..brilliant logic there mate.
    Quote:

Do I think the Pacers would win 61 if they were in the Western Conference? Absolutely. Granted top to bottom the Western Conference is MUCH stronger, a good team is a good team.....and this team is for real. It doesnt matter where you play.

It doesn't matter where you play? Right. lol While the western conference teams are playing each other 4 times, they only play eastern conference teams twice. In other words Indiana played those top western C. teams only twice, while they played the crappy eastern teams 4 times. What was Boston's regular season record again? Oh yeah, TEN games below .500. In fact of all eastern playoff teams only 4 of them had over .500 records. LOL That's embarrassing. By the way, I wish your Pacers luck. If only their fans weren't such crybabies.
    Quote:

The Pacers also slumped in the 2nd half a bit....they couldve easily won 65-67 games

I forgot other teams besides the Pacers don't slump. lol EVERY team in the league could say that if they hadn't "slumped" they'd have a better record. Imagine that. I still don't see you correcting me on Shaq's FG percentage...I wonder why that is? Hmmmm
    Quote:

lol @ "whining"......

Yeah, I call someone who comes in and says X team can't win unless they buy championships or cheat whining. By the way, what's it like for your team to lose to a team of "fakers" in the finals? What does that say about your team?

Edit: I also would't mind a Timberwolves-Pacers final if my 9 time champion LA Lakers don't make it(which appears very likely).
  • Reply 40 of 44
    hmm....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gilsch

[B]Right, I forgot only Pacers fans aren't bandwaggoners...lol..brilliant logic there mate. It doesn't matter where you play? Right. lol While the western conference teams are playing each other 4 times, they only play eastern conference teams twice.

no shit sherlock

Quote:

In other words Indiana played those top western C. teams only twice, while they played the crappy eastern teams 4 times. What was Boston's regular season record again? Oh yeah, TEN games below .500. In fact of all eastern playoff teams only 4 of them had over .500 records. LOL That's embarrassing.

whowouldathunkthat? still took care of business when they played

Hmm...Boston crappy & 10 games below .500? That sure is news to me. Obviously someone wasnt paying attention to a series in which the Pacers made mistakes and still completely dominated the series. They just won the series 4-0.

Quote:

I still don't see you correcting me on Shaq's FG percentage...I wonder why that is? Hmmmm

No need to. I could care less what someone shoots when they take 2 foot shots and push people out of the way (commiting an offensive foul pretty much every time they touch the ball)

Quote:

Yeah, I call someone who comes in and says X team can't win unless they buy championships or cheat whining. By the way, what's it like for your team to lose to a team of "fakers" in the finals? What does that say about your team?

If you didnt know already.....the NBA is a business. Makes sense they'd try to get the big market teams with superstar players in a position to win championships correct? Lakers winning means more money for Stern than the pacers doing so.