Dumb wireless question...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm thinking of getting a new powerbook and I now have broadband using SBC Global DSL for my desktop mac.

In order to be connected to the internet wireless around my house or outside, what is the way I need to set this stuff up. Is this where a router and the Airport comes in...?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Yuppp. Typically you will need a wirless router or access point. There is a way to host it from another pc but then that would needa wireless card, its call building a wirless bridge or something to that effect. What is you're exact setup right now? Are you connecting you're modem directly to the computer?

Let me be a little more specific:[list=1][*]Modem to Router[*]Router (wirlessly) to Airportcard (built-into your powerbook)[*]You're set![/list=1]
  • Reply 2 of 6
    macworkmacwork Posts: 57member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

Yuppp. Typically you will need a wirless router or access point. There is a way to host it from another pc but then that would needa wireless card, its call building a wirless bridge or something to that effect. What is you're exact setup right now? Are you connecting you're modem directly to the computer?

Let me be a little more specific:[list=1][*]Modem to Router[*]Router (wirlessly) to Airportcard (built-into your powerbook)[*]You're set![/list=1]

I have my DSL modem connected to my mac and of course the other end is to the phone jack.

So I need the Airport and a wireless router? I thought if I just connected my DSL modem to the Airport and then the Airport to my desktop and it would also serve as my wireless connection to my powerbook....?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macwork

I have my DSL modem connected to my mac and of course the other end is to the phone jack.

So I need the Airport and a wireless router? I thought if I just connected my DSL modem to the Airport and then the Airport to my desktop and it would also serve as my wireless connection to my powerbook....?

and it will IF your desktop has airport card (or any wifi adapter), if not then the router acts as a wire splitter, kindof like the splitter behind tvs with PIP, 1 line for each tuner or in this case 1 line for the desktop and 1 line to the wifi antana (airport base)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The Airport hub has a WAN port for your modem, a LAN port for your mac, and a wireless antenna for your laptop. I don't own a airport hub, but both the wireless and LAN should share the same internet connection. The Airport hub has like a built-in router. It should all work happily.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    You're using the term Airport too loosely. I assumed you were talking about the Airport card inside the laptop you will buy, but I was wrong. In other words you need;

Airpot Base Station (or a generic wireless router) hooked up to the cable modem. Then this will broadcast a signal to your laptop.

Also, on the airport extreme base station there is one LAN port that will allow you to connect your iMac with normal ethernet cable if you wish.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    macworkmacwork Posts: 57member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

You're using the term Airport too loosely. I assumed you were talking about the Airport card inside the laptop you will buy, but I was wrong. In other words you need;

Airpot Base Station (or a generic wireless router) hooked up to the cable modem. Then this will broadcast a signal to your laptop.

Also, on the airport extreme base station there is one LAN port that will allow you to connect your iMac with normal ethernet cable if you wish.

cool.. thanks everyone