How many movies does it take to kill expose?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I took this little movie of my powerbook 1.25 playing 6, yes 6, 480 trailers and pressing F9 for expose. I it was able to handle 6 movies without dropping frames, but at 7 it started to drop here and there (not that bad)...

Can anyone test this on a G5? I'd like to see how many can be played at once. I'd like to see windows media do this on a PC....

Expose

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    That's nothing. I remember when murbot got his dual G5, he stress-tested it by running nearly a dozen QuickTime movies, playing iTunes with a visual, toggling between all the Expose modes, and capturing full-screen, full-framerate video and audio from Snapz Pro X...

and it still worked smoothly!!
  • Reply 2 of 23
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That's nothing. I remember when murbot got his G5, he stress-tested it by running nearly a dozen QuickTime movies, playing iTunes with a visual, toggling between all the Expose modes, and capturing full-screen, full-framerate video and audio from Snapz Pro X...

and it still worked smoothly!!

I'd like to see that movie if possible...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I just did a search before posting and I don't think I still have it.

Oh, and moving to Mac OS X!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I just did a search before posting and I don't think I still have it.

Oh, and moving to Mac OS X!

I knew you were going to do that, but I figured I would give it a try in the more popular thread....
  • Reply 5 of 23
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I wish I could have multiple TV channels each in their own windows and Exposé them down to watch them all. (Using Exposé as a verb...that'll piss off the French for several reasons )

I am extremely addicted to information overload/visual stimulation. I can keep track of about 9 movies at once. I like the cacophony of multiple things playing, it lets me pick and choose from multiple things to pay attention to or I can enjoy the whole.

Ideally the volume would give priority to the movie you mouse over. Like make it louder and make all others less loud.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    No comment:

• Reply 7 of 23
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    More movies than you can shake a stick at! (almost)

<Carnaval Announcer>

Step right up! Only $0.50!

Defiant will now prove to mankind once-and-for-all that too much TV can in fact make your head explode!

</announcer>

(Raincoats cost extra)
  • Reply 8 of 23
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

No comment:

Dude!

*feeds the hamster*
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Ebby:

'Uhm, I'd have one of them raincoats please'
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

No comment:

Were all of those movies playing smoothly though?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    now for some real fun, tell QT to play all moves, then hit expose, and then see which movies finish before expose does
  • Reply 12 of 23
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

No comment:

there not even playing
  • Reply 13 of 23
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Could you write an Applescript to tell Quicktime Player to play all of the movies it currently has open ?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tacojohn: no, they were not.

ThunderPoit: Yeah, of course? wake me when it's finished?

nano: blablabla! Of course they're not playing! Have you seen the specs of my machine? It damn near killed it!

1?2?3?4?5?6?7?8?9?100!

The picture was meant as a joke, to show that you could also do something similar on such an old machine. I did it also with about 10 movies, and while Exposé was still smooth, the movies were stuttering and dropping frames where they could.

Duh. (and learn to use some grammar, nano )
  • Reply 15 of 23
    G'day all!

I managed to get just under a dozen movies playing varying in size from full quality to low quality.

here is a small mov from snapz. (1.8mb - mp4 - 320 x 240)

It was taken on my Dual G5 1.8 machine. I didn't have anything else running bar iTunes, Safari, and LaunchBar.. However Snapz was capturing at full size and frame rate. Once I got over about 13 flicks- I saw movie stuttering and keyframe skipping while running Snapz. Without snapz capturing I could get to about 15ish before I saw movie skipping etc. Exposé itself kept trucking on, throwing all the windows around without a drama. On the odd occasion I did see exposé miss a few frames of transition.

still, pretty impressive to see a few movies dance around the screen- and realistically, movies skipping during transitions doesn't affect the actual function of exposé.

Exposé is just plain cool
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Could you write an Applescript to tell Quicktime Player to play all of the movies it currently has open ?

Code:

tell application "QuickTime Player"

activate

play every movie

end tell

• Reply 17 of 23
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Why not just use the Play All Movies command in the Movie menu?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stylesheet

G'day all! I managed to get just under a dozen movies playing varying in size from full quality to low quality.

here is a small mov from snapz. (1.8mb - mp4 - 320 x 240)

Just awesome!
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Why not just use the Play All Movies command in the Movie menu?

Because all movies are exposé'd, and if you'd want to click there, they would all go back to their previous state. That's why you'd have to trigger it remotely.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    OK, I finally got my hands on a Mac again, so I could up get the movie. It's not as good as Brad thinks... I guess he was high when I first showed it to him.

To be fair, it wasn't a torture test per se, I was just trying to make a cool Expose movie. I've only got 5 movies playing, along with the other stuff going on. It was a Dual 2GHz G5, but only had 512MB of RAM. If I had some more RAM, and wanted to REALLY max things out, I could have done one MUCH better than this.

Ah, it's still sort of neat. Here she is:

Expose (5.5MB).

(the dude screaming at the camera in one of the QT movies is Brad)