Use of human shields by Israely millitary...

newnew
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

This picture is from tuesday.

Its been a common practice for a while now, and you might have heard about it. The israeli supreme court banned the use of human shields in 2002 after a palestinian human shield was killed in a shootout.

But the practice has not stopped. I guess I don't have to tell you what international law says on the subject. Anyway, I hope the soldiers in question are brought to court and punished.

more here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    That doesn't surprise me at all. If the israelic army wouldn't do that they wouldn't survive in the occupied areas, espescially in towns where resistance is fierce.

Israel is a pariah-state par excellence, much worse than south-africa ever was under the apartheit-regime.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 2 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Objectively, the image alone shows a boy sitting on the hood of a truck. Another photo in the link you provided shows two soldiers facing one way, and a civilian facing another way separated by several meters. The soldiers are on one side of a wall while the civilian is behind a fence. Not as convincing as a photo of a little boy being held at gunpoint being ordered to pick up a dangerous looking object on the road.

I'm sure the Israeli does some nasty things, but that picture says nothing.

EDIT: And now I can't access that link anymore
  • Reply 3 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    And you want them to do what? Put the kid inside? So when a Hamas RPG hits the jeep because the shooter thinks it's "just full of Jews"?

Only when Jews put the children in peril do the Palestinians seem to care about life all of a sudden.

It's not like a Hamas shooter would not fire if he had a good shot even if he saw the kid. Get real. "Screw the kid". "He'll be a martyr". That's the mentality.

Life is worthless to "most" Palestinians (especially the lives of their own children) and the longer Israelis live near them and die by their hands and bombs then the more the Israelis, sadly, also see things the same way.

I'm sure, and hope, the soldiers will be punished accordingly.

Cue Segovius, Eternal Defender of All things Islamic/Arab At All Costs.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Objectively, the image alone shows a boy sitting on the hood of a truck. Another photo in the link you provided shows two soldiers facing one way, and a civilian facing another way separated by several meters. The soldiers are on one side of a wall while the civilian is behind a fence. Not as convincing as a photo of a little boy being held at gunpoint being ordered to pick up a dangerous looking object on the road.

I'm sure the Israeli does some nasty things, but that picture says nothing.

EDIT: And now I can't access that link anymore

Theoretically, these are just some constructors dancing around a bulldozer...

• Reply 5 of 17
    Oh, yes, Eugene,

off course, the boy thought: "Hey, what a wonderful day here in Gaza or West-bank, the sun is shining, maybe I could ask that nice Israeli-soldiers, if I could sit upon their jeeps so I can enjoy a bit of sunbathing"

Then he goes to the soldiers: "Hi, soldiers, could I sunbath while sitting on your jeeps, please?"

The soldiers: "What a sweet little boy, why not, the weather is really perfect for that, come over here, I will help you onto it."

The boy: "Thank you, you aren't nearly as bad as everyone here says, you are really nice people."

Everyone is smiling, while the resistance-fighter on the other side chooses not to fire the rocket-launcher on the patrolling army, the weather is too nice for that.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

And you want them to do what? Put the kid inside? So when a Hamas RPG hits the jeep because the shooter thinks it's "just full of Jews"?

I expect them to let him go home. And that would be "israeli soliders". Not all of them are jews. But I don't expect you to know that.

Quote:

Only when Jews put the children in peril do the Palestinians seem to care about life all of a sudden.

I thought palestinians didn't care for the lives of there children.

Quote:

Life is worthless to "most" Palestinians (especially the lives of their own children) and the longer Israelis live near them and die by their hands and bombs then the more the Israelis, sadly, also see things the same way.

So it's contagious?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Theoretically, these are just some constructors dancing around a bulldozer...

No, it looks like those people are facing the bulldozer and throwing things at it. Not shields (or contractors), but an angry mob.

Nightcrawler, I'm not assuming anything. The boy doesn't look terribly frightened. He's sitting in a resting position. Can you even tell if this kid is Palestinian or Israeli? He has dirt on his trousers, he must be a scruffy Palestinian.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nightcrawler

Israel is a pariah-state par excellence, much worse than south-africa ever was under the apartheit-regime.

Nightcrawler

Isreal is not worse than South Africa during apartheid. Not by far. sorry.
  • Reply 9 of 17

Holy shit, a human shield!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    johnq,

the hamas surely appreciate life, but not at all cost. They have chosen that life is worthless when they have to submiss to the Israelis.

Quite to the contrary, in the times they had tried to submiss under Israelis they were shoved aside, losing more and more land, and more and more lifes.

As sad as it sounds, resistance and retaliation in Israel, is the only thing that started the peace-process, and it's the only thing that has put some restraint upon the israelic army.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I expect them to let him go home. And that would be "israeli soliders". Not all of them are jews. But I don't expect you to know that.

Of course I know that. Good enough for conversation. It's not like Hamas are picky. They don't think "Hmmm...I was going to pop that soldier's head with my sniper rifle, but he looks like a Karaite to me."

Quote:

Originally posted by New

I thought palestinians didn't care for the lives of there children.

It was a sardonic sentence. Meaning Palestinians can send their kids out with explosive vests and that is ok to them, but heaven forbid an Israeli puts a Palestinian kid in peril (mind you the peril, if any, is coming from Palestinian gunmen.)

Quote:

Originally posted by New

So it's contagious?

You tell me.

I'd say hatred/violence/rage is damn contagious.

That's why we need to stop taking focking sides and find ways to coexist peacefully.

I criticize both sides plus the US, plus Europe and anyone else either involved or intentionally avoiding involvement. Everything is connected. Everyone shares blame to some extent.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Holy shit, a human shield!

hehe, funny.

But seriously, here's a link.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

It was a sardonic sentence. Meaning Palestinians can send their kids out with explosive vests and that is ok to them, but heaven forbid an Israeli puts a Palestinian kid in peril (mind you the peril, if any, is coming from Palestinian gunmen.)

It obviously has an effect, if not they wouldn't do it.

The people sending kids to blow themselves up would be the terrorist. The Israeli millitary should be expected to not use terrorist tactics. When they do, they are no better themselves, and the whole argument of fighting terrorism falls apart.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

hehe, funny.

See, that's what I was looking for...a caption. The thing on his sleeve looks like his bandana, but with the caption, it makes more sense.

In my photo, the woman *looks* like she's washing a car, but in fact she is pleasuring herself on the hood ornament. The rag is there to sop up the mess.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nightcrawler

johnq,

the hamas surely appreciate life, but not at all cost. They have chosen that life is worthless when they have to submiss to the Israelis.

Quite to the contrary, in the times they had tried to submiss under Israelis they were shoved aside, losing more and more land, and more and more lifes.

As sad as it sounds, resistance and retaliation in Israel, is the only thing that started the peace-process, and it's the only thing that has put some restraint upon the israelic army.

Nightcrawler

You won't see me defending Israel the nation or its army* or it's politicians and whatever percentage of its civilians that are extremists.

Frankly they learned nothing from the ordeal of Jews in Europe, only how to be nationalistic, militant and blind to repercussions.

But I can criticize Israel all day but that doesn't mean I can't be equally critical of Palestinians. Or the US. Or Europe. Etc.

I'm a centrist. Everyone sucks.

I want peace. I also want a few left-handed Palestinian pitchers on the Red Sox someday.

* My original post was more a pragmatic question. Logically if the kid was in danger outside the car how would he not be in danger inside the car if unseen? It was not a defense of the soldier's actions, as I indicated by saying I hope they are punished accordingly.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

hehe, funny.

Do you seriously expect me to believe the NY Times (known to be anti-Isreal)? I've seen them get stories so backwards it's nauseating, especially concerning Isreal.

And I'll beleive Palestinians care about life when they stop bombing children and using 16 year old boys as suicide bombers.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by FaydRautha

Do you seriously expect me to believe the NY Times (known to be anti-Isreal)? I've seen them get stories so backwards it's nauseating, especially concerning Isreal.

This is a Reuters News Story.

Quote:

And I'll beleive Palestinians care about life when they stop bombing children and using 16 year old boys as suicide bombers.

So does the Israeli army care about life?

After all they have killed a lot more palestinian children, than the palestinians themselves have.