Memory numbers

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Where can I find out how PC2700 got it's name?

I understand 333MHz DDR SDRAM (double data rate of the system bus speed - on the up and down cycle in the current PowerBook case 2 * 167 = 333MHz), but what is the correlation to PC2700 ... and PC2100 for that matter?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

linkage

Thanks for the Google link - but if I type in PC2700 RAM, it invaribiably offers links to buy the stuff. I just want to know how the naming convention of 2700 relates to 333DDR RAM.

(or, if someone has a better idea of what to type into Google to find this answer please share)

TIA.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    That wasn't hard.

google "PC2700 means"

The first result is very detailed. Here's a brief quote from it:

Quote:

Naming Conventions

Module vendors use the PC-xxxx, which signifies the module data rate in MB/s (Mega-Bytes per second). Memory vendors adopted the DDR-xxx that signifies memory data rate for each pin in MHz (Mega-Hertz).

Module Data Rate Memory

Data Rate Maximum Bus Speed

PC1600 DDR200 100MHz

PC2100 DDR266 133MHz

PC2700 DDR333 166MHz

PC3200 DDR400 200MHz

Table 1: Data Rate and Bus Speed

For example: 2GB Stacked PC2700 Registered DIMM has the capacity of storing about 2 billion words (2GB) of data. PC2700 means:

(a) The transfer speed is 2.7 billions words per second. It can transfer the whole content of its memory in less than 1 second.

(b) It can be used in systems with any bus speed up to 166 MHz. i.e. 100, 133 or 166 MHz.

Sometimes I wonder if we should have to pass a test like the driver's license exam to use the internet.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    "Check out the brain on Brad"

• Reply 5 of 5
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That wasn't hard.

google "PC2700 means"

Ahhh.... I see, I should have typed PC2700 "means"

Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

The first result is very detailed. Here's a brief quote from it:

[...snip...]

Sometimes I wonder if we should have to pass a test like the driver's license exam to use the internet.

I have no witty retort for this...

still - thanks anyway (now I'll know for next time)