logged in to iChat twice

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I think I have managed to somehow log myself in twice - perhaps I did not log out once before disconnecting from the 'net. Anyway, it is driving me crazy. Does anybody know how I can fix this?

It's sort of like a MIDI stuck note phenomenon. There's a register of me being logged on out there somewhere, and I don't know how to turn it off without logging on first and then sending one log off command - but obviously that won't suffice, because it will just log me off and not the other (original) account. Oh well, anybody who did MIDI sequencing in the 80s should know what I'm on about!

I tried looking for an iChat preference file to trash but didn't come across it. \

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Don't worry - I found it under ~/Library/Preferences/

I then trashed com.apple.iChat.plist and com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist and this seemed to do the trick.

Sorry for the bother.

mods please lock!

EDIT Actually, that didn't seem to work - I still get this message from "aolsystemmsg" telling me i am logged in twice. Again, any help sincerely appreciated!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Don't worry - I found it under ~/Library/Preferences/

I then trashed com.apple.iChat.plist and com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist and this seemed to do the trick.

Sorry for the bother.

mods please lock!

EDIT Actually, that didn't seem to work - I still get this message from "aolsystemmsg" telling me i am logged in twice. Again, any help sincerely appreciated!

AOL will let you log into IM multiple times now. so if you log in at multiple locations, you may be logged in somewhere else if you forgot to log off. this happened withe me at home and work, forgot to sign off at work, went home and logged on, got the message.. (and at work I use AOL IM, not ichat since stuff on pc's). so you may have to trace your steps.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, somehow I had managed to not log out correctly after using iChat on my dad's iMac, and I kept getting the message until we shut down the iMac for a couple minutes. It's too bad there's no "Force logout of duplicate logins" command or something like that. It'd make life a lot easier sometimes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    I've come across this multiple times, at multiple households. It's a real pain in the a** when you don't know which of your friends to call to log you out...

I agree about the master log off command, it really is necessary with such a system.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    defjefdefjef Posts: 62member
    I just received the exact same message tonight, but I only use IM on one computer. It seemed really strange to me, so I logged in under another name using the AOL client instead of iChat and sent a message to myself this is how it went:

New conversation started at 4/23/04 12:50:54 AM.

me on my second name (12:50:54 AM): hey

me on my second name (12:51:06 AM): what's up?

guy that was using my account (12:51:19 AM): heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey dawgey!

me on my second name (12:51:32 AM): how are you?

guy that was using my account (12:51:42 AM): totally bitchin'!

guy that was using my account (12:51:55 AM): what are you up to?

me on my second name (12:51:58 AM): WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?

guy that was using my account (12:52:09 AM): what?

me on my second name (12:52:26 AM): who are you? you took my IM name

guy that was using my account (12:53:15 AM): hey dumbass if you didn't want this to happen - the you should sign out properly- duh? and you IM yourself?

me on my second name (12:53:27 AM): what the f**k?

guy that was using my account (12:53:58 AM): yeah what the f**k?

guy that was using my account (12:54:11 AM): get off- you're spoiling my fun!

guy that was using my account (12:54:20 AM): i dare ya!

me on my second name (12:54:31 AM): F**K YOU!

guy that was using my account (12:54:40 AM): say it to my face!

guy that was using my account (12:55:04 AM): what? what?

me on my second name (12:55:06 AM): If I knew who you were and where to find you I would

guy that was using my account(12:55:16 AM): come on spit it o.

guy that was using my account (12:55:50 AM): oh shit computerphile gettin' pissed!

guy that was using my account (12:56:35 AM): booooooooooorrrriingg. have fun complaining to AOL about yer lil problem jerk!

then he signed out, signed back in and then out again.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what is going on for you. Somehow people are managing to hijak other people's messenger names.

It has to be something with how the servers are handling users signing off because I ALWAYS quit applications and put my computer to sleep before I leave for a period of time longer than a few hours.

so it looks like there is a HUGE flaw with how iChat and or AOL is handling signing in and out when using iChat.

If anybody has any other information pertaining to this please tell or point me to a link that could help describe what exactly is going on so that I may better prevent it from happening again.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DefJef

...so it looks like there is a HUGE flaw with how iChat and or AOL is handling signing in and out when using iChat.

I'd have to agree with you, because when I signed out on my dad's computer, I changed back to his user account. He still uses Jaguar, so there's NO WAY that fast user switching could have caused it. Hopefully Apple will address this with AOL.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

AOL will let you log into IM multiple times now. so if you log in at multiple locations, you may be logged in somewhere else if you forgot to log off. this happened withe me at home and work, forgot to sign off at work, went home and logged on, got the message.. (and at work I use AOL IM, not ichat since stuff on pc's). so you may have to trace your steps.

I only use this computer so it must have been me forgetting to log off before disconnecting from the net and then when I connected again, it logged me on in addition to that original account.

Anyway, it all seems better now - I just retrashed those pref files, so fingers crossed!

Nonetheless, it is heartening to know that I am not the only one experiencing this problem. \