New G4 owner moving from a PC

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been a PC tech for 19 years now and over the past 3 years or so I have really wanted to switch to a Mac. So I finally have and it should be arriving this weekend. I've been reading as much info as I can about how to use OSX 10.3 but one thing has eluded me. I have a USB 2 Maxtor 80GB drive that has all of my MP3's and backed-up info on it. It was formated using NTFS. Will I be able to get the data off of this drive and onto the local disc in my G4? Is there anything I'll need to do to make this happen. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    To answer your question. Yes.

You should be able to see all the data on the drive.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Read from NTFS, yes, write to, no.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll posting more questions soon!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Read from NTFS, yes, write to, no.

Clarification:

Read from the first partition on NTFS: yes.

I plugged in my roommates drive to salvage some files because Windows was being, well, Windows. Essentially, Windows barfed on the permissions and he was going to have to reformat. He had it partitioned into two sections. Only the first mounted on the desktop. The second may have been accessible from the Terminal through some command trickery, but I didn't bother (because the files he needed were on the first partition anyway).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    See, Brad has spoken! All Hail Brad! (I honestly did not know only the *first* partition. Thanks for the info!