Whining sound from iMac G3

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all, I have a iMac G3 400DV and have a 17 inch monitor hooked up to it. A couple weeks ago I started getting a high pitched sound coming from the iMac whenever a web page loads on the screen. I tried hitting F11 which removes all pics to the side and the sound goes away. When I click F11 again and the pics come back the sound returns.

This is bizarre. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Is it from the internal CRT, or from the one hooked up to it? Does it also happen when you don't connect the monitor to it?

If you hear it with the iMac alone, then it's the sound of the CRT saying 'adios'.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Is it from the internal CRT, or from the one hooked up to it? Does it also happen when you don't connect the monitor to it?

If you hear it with the iMac alone, then it's the sound of the CRT saying 'adios'.

The sound is definitely coming from the iMac. And it doesnt happen every time, but most of the time. Maybe it means the built in monitor in the iMac is going? Or the video card?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    i'll bet on the crt, too.

<sarcastic idiot>

your imac had a good life - but now his time has come.

be strong now!

let him go.

</sarcastic idiot>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    It probably means the monitor is going. Time to look at the vast amount of cash stacked in your closet?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

It probably means the monitor is going. Time to look at the vast amount of cash stacked in your closet?

welp, since I have a 17 inch monitor attached to it I guess it dont matter if the iMacs CRT goes!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    no, that shouldn't be a problem at all.