Setting up DNS with Mac OS X Server 10.3

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

To any and all who can help, I am completely oblivious when it comes to server services and am trying to set up DNS for my domain. I have a slew of static IPs and Mac OS X Server 10.3 installed on my Power Mac G4 and so I ask: Can anyone guide me as to what info goes where or direct me to a guide that will?

Thanks!

-IG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Are you going to use your server as a DNS server, or are you using other DNS (you should have 2 at least). www.granitecanyon.com will do free DNS for you - I used them for secondary DNS at one point, but they will be your primary DNS if you like... If you are new to this, it would make sense to have someone else doing your DNS for you, as DNS is a biatch, and last I knew there wasn't a GUI for it at all (but I haven't used Server since 10.1)

OS X Server (as of 10.1 at least) came with a PDF manual which was pretty in-depth as far as setting things up. I believe it is on the install disc, but you could probably get a copy on the apple website too...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I intend on using my server as a DNS server, but am unaware of the steps necessary to do so. I had considered paying a company to do it, but ruled it out since I have the equipment. For now all I need to do is set up one, the other server (a G5) will be arriving soon, which I will use for web hosting, email, and as the second DNS.

We used to have a MSIE certified tech to manage our servers, but since we moved to mac, the tech has since departed so I'm afraid we're gonna have to go it alone. 10.3 has a seemingly simple interface for DNS set up, still trying to find out the steps I need to take (i.e. communicating with my ISP, my registrar, etcetera) as well I am still trying to verify my settings are correct.

- IG

Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

Are you going to use your server as a DNS server, or are you using other DNS (you should have 2 at least). www.granitecanyon.com will do free DNS for you - I used them for secondary DNS at one point, but they will be your primary DNS if you like... If you are new to this, it would make sense to have someone else doing your DNS for you, as DNS is a biatch, and last I knew there wasn't a GUI for it at all (but I haven't used Server since 10.1)

OS X Server (as of 10.1 at least) came with a PDF manual which was pretty in-depth as far as setting things up. I believe it is on the install disc, but you could probably get a copy on the apple website too...