First PayCheck

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Got my first offical paycheck today and it was from working at a Market Basket Supermarket?60 bucks is better than none?

what was your first paycheck amount and where were you working

inquiry

PS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Summer job when I was about 13 or 14...making coffee, fetching stuff, filing etc. at a mid-sized radio station. I made about $60 a week doing a 9-6 five days (although that was 15 years ago). Worst paid but possibly most fun job I've had...
  • Reply 2 of 30
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    £80, at £3.59 per hour stacking supermarket selves. When I was 16, though. Surprisingly not my most boring job (that would be as a temporary security guard at an empty school, scheduled for demolition )
  • Reply 3 of 30
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    my first check was unusually large relative to my others around that time, b/c i had worked several weeks and some how fell through the cracks. so i didnt get my first check for a month or so after i started. and my original pay was $8.25/h, for the luxury of being an IT intern, mostly doing mindless type tech support, and ****ing it up frequently. that first one was quite the hurdle though. felt really good having all that cash.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I used to be a scab. Seriously. I'm horribly embarrassed by it now.

I would work after-hours in a poly-foam plant for $4 an hour (SUPER HIGH WAGES) so the boss wouldn't have to pay the workers overtime.

If I were to meet my 14 year-old self today, I'd punch myself in the face.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've gone the last decade or so making only $10K a year while in grad school. Getting that first *real* paycheck, which was more than my previous checks--and it was only the first of TWO per month--left me feeling oddly guilty.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Wow. I have no clue what my first paycheck amount was.

BUT. In 2000 I was working for a .com and making about 45K a year. SHIT...when I saw...what...I guess $1,200 for two weeks wages? Damn. I miss those paychecks...

I also remember mowing lawns and that was mostly cash. I'd make about $200/$400 a week (in the '70's and '80's).

• Reply 6 of 30
    My first paycheck was from Famous Players (movie house in Canada owned by Viacom) and it was for about CDN$250.00. We were paied every other week and I worked for $6.40/h.

I was 15 at the time.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I'm still waiting to see if I got a job. Things are looking up for me. If I do get the job I will get paid $800-$1700. Thats pretty good for me especially for a 14 year old.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    My first real job was at Blockbuster Video, and I made, I think, $5.10 an hour. I don't recall how much the check was for, though.

Prior to that I'd worked at Boy Scout summer camp as a counselor, where I got paid $100 a week (there was a bidding war between two camps for me, so I got the veteran staff member pay rate even though it was my first year, that was cool).

Next time I get all bummed by my current paycheck, I should go back and see how much I'd make in a month at Blockbuster back in the day. That'll probably cheer me up.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Summer job when I was about 13 or 14...making coffee, fetching stuff, filing etc. at a mid-sized radio station. I made about $60 a week doing a 9-6 five days (although that was 15 years ago). Worst paid but possibly most fun job I've had...

I'd love to work at a radio station
  • Reply 10 of 30
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I'm still waiting to see if I got a job. Things are looking up for me. If I do get the job I will get paid $800-$1700. Thats pretty good for me especially for a 14 year old.

Sorry Quags but that bull i'd be interested into what this is? just so i can fully shut you out and give you Zer0 cookies(because thats what i use because i got tired of points)

hmm?

PS
  • Reply 11 of 30
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    AUD138.24, which is about USD101.56. 8.64/hour (USD6.35). Part of a dodgy scheme where companies can pay you below award (minimum to americans) wage (award wage is 12.83/hour or USD9.42). Wouldn't have been so bad if the company had a good work environment.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 30
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    My first paycheck was near $112. I was working at McDonalds and was earning a grand $5.75/hour.

I'm working as a Head Lifeguard now, pulling $9.50. I need to save for college.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    When I was 12 and 13 I ran a local paper route and got paid under the table, since it's technically child labor. I did one run a week and made 28 dollars a month. I think it was 200 papers or so, but they were small, local papers.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    My first and only non-video job was at a BBQ place. It sucked ass, and they managed to pay me way under minimum wage. I worked there for about 6 weeks and haven't looked back. I just got a job a few days ago doing some video/html stuff for Purdue. 10 bucks an hour, and I hardly have to leave my room.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    $15... helping a special needs student in sunday school...

wtf?

I did that?

Ah well. I guess I lost my soul at some point... oh, right, there is no soul in judaism...
  • Reply 16 of 30
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    My first paycheck was for around $45 for working as a busboy/dishwasher for a restaurant. The minimum wage at that time was $3.35 an hour. I had worked about 20 hours that week and thus, there you go.

I got that first paycheck and immediately thought to myself, "Wow, all I have to do is work two more weeks and I can afford X." I don't recall what X was at the time, but it was about $120. The second thought that went through my head at that point was that I was holding in my hands $45 more than I had ever held before and all I could think about was how to spend three times more than that.

So that has been my rule since then. No matter how much you make, you can always find a way to spend three times more, so be careful and learn to manage your money early.

Nick
  • Reply 17 of 30
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

Got my first offical paycheck today and it was from working at a Market Basket Supermarket?60 bucks is better than none?

what was your first paycheck amount and where were you working

inquiry

PS

$56 from Hollywood Video.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    $780 for two weeks of work last July. I was 18.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Magicite

$780 for two weeks of work last July. I was 18.

Doing what?!
  • Reply 20 of 30
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I don't know the amount, but I worked at a Photolab most of high school. Started at $7.25/hour. Was up to about $10/hour or so when I left for college. It was a good first job, but good God do I hate retail. The plus side was that I got to look at everyone's pictures. It kind made we want to travel more since people would bring in pictures of place from around the world. Of course the most common question from friends was "ever see pictures of naked people?" In the three years I worked there I saw probably about 8 or so rolls that contained any nudity. [embarrassing baby bathtub pictures not included.]