Quick question (G5 noise with UPS)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Should G5s hum loudly when powered off of a UPS? (only when it goes to battery backup, not just powered "through" it)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    What is humming? Are you sure it's the G5 or is it the UPS? If it is the G5, make sure the voltage is set correctly on the UPS, it could be too much for the power supply.

That said, I know nothing about UPSs...good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    My UPS hums quite loudly when its running off of the battery...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My UPS is louder than my G5, but I tried and didn't notice anything strange.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    I'm pretty sure it is the G5 that is humming, it makes kind of a "static-y" noise. Quite loudly....

APC Back-UPS RS 800 Given to me by a friend who said it would work fine. I'm beginning to wonder....
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Anyone... <bump>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    An appropriate title (#9) would have likely gotten you a better response. I'm editing it so onlookers will know the problem at a glance.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I'm guessing it is your power manager that is humming. (High pitched, right?) My G5 does this when I transfer large files using multiple interfaces at the same time. (Hard drive, firewire, USB, ethernet) The noise is normal but has had many people worried. Me too for a while. I think there is a solution that temporarly fixes it in somethign called CHUD tools, but I am one of the least qualified people here to tinker with such things. Any advice I give you with CHUD will surely cause a melt-down.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Its not that high pitched. It definitely sounds like "electricity" is all I can really say, and it is quite loud. Again, I'm I just paranoid here?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Naa. I wouldn't sweat it. Most G5's sound like they have little sparks in them when cretin things happen and from what I can tell it is perfectly normal.