Help ~ I want to play MP3/AAC files at a faster speed than they were recorded.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

I don't know if there is a program that will let me do this or a way I can change how it is recorded so that the playback is faster.

FYI... I'm listening to Audiobooks but they read soo slow... I need to speed it up to keep my focus and interest.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Do you have Final Cut or other sound editing program?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    If you use a player that shows the default slider (not QuickTime Player, unfortunately) you can control-click in the advance-frame buttons to make a hidden "speed control" slider appear. There you can change the playback speed slower or faster.

There used to by a *great* program called Play It Cool for Classic Mac OS that would allow you to save a custom playback speed value into a movie without having to resample it. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has made something like that for Mac OS X.

• Reply 3 of 13
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/4381

Quote:

Product Description:

The Tactile12000 is a visual, interactive simulation of a DJ setup - two turntables and a mixer. You can crossfade, backspin, and speed up and slow down music, including full-length MP3 songs, on your computer. It is a cross-platform application for both Windows and Macintosh. You can use it to mix like a DJ or let it mix your MP3 playlist automatically. It has been featured in RayGun and Print's Interaction Design 2000.

What's new in this version:

This is a beta version of 2.1 for OS X. It has the same features as the previous 2.1 release for the classic MacOS.

Product Requirements:

OS X, 10.1 or higher

G3 or G4

QuickTime

Sound Manager

edit: this version predates AAC, so don't know if it will work for your audiobooks
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

OMG what an ugly app. Maybe if he was a DJ that would be appropriate.

I think this would be more fitting, though:

Amazing Slow Downer X 2.6.6*

Quote:

If you're a musician who likes to learn new songs and techniques by listening to the same piece of music over and over but wish that the music could be played a little slower, then you'll enjoy Amazing Slow Downer for Mac. This PowerPC program reads music directly from your CD-ROM drive and slows it down between 1% and 400% using a "time-stretching" method which does not change the pitch, regardless of the speed!

Most programs of this sort require you to record the music first. Not with the Amazing Slow Downer. It processes the music in real time - just insert the CD and press the play button. You may also play MP3, AIFF and Wave files.

Other features include increasing the music speed up to twice the normal rate, pitch adjustments in semi-tones at full or lower speed, and more.

Don't let the description mislead you. This application is not just for slowing down; it also speeds up audio and (importantly) can do it without changing the pitch.

It works well. I haven't tried it with AAC files, though.

* Granted, this isn't the prettiest UI either, but at least it's not a trying to mimic a real-world object! Raarr!!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    That Amazing Slow Down program works perfectly!!

You can change the pitch and speed. So that the audiobooks are read FASTER and still have a normal voice.

Only problem is you need a password to unlock playback of songs longer than three minutes.

Can anyone help me out with this one?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by KCOM2006

That Amazing Slow Down program works perfectly!!

You can change the pitch and speed. So that the audiobooks are read FASTER and still have a normal voice.

Only problem is you need a password to unlock playback of songs longer than three minutes.

Can anyone help me out with this one?

That's easy! Pay $39.95 to the developer, and you'll get a password.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

That's easy! Pay $39.95 to the developer, and you'll get a password.

Bingo.

You're going to *have* to pony up the money if you want to use it. If you enter a pirated serial number, it will act like it accepts it, but then it'll cause seemingly "random" errors, crashes, and other problems to occur. It's the developer's sneaky way of saying "**** off!" to would-be pirates.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Sneaky! I wonder what other software does this. \ Perhaps "they" release "special" serial numbers on the web that can cause the program to mess up a computer of something.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    39.95 well spent...

The developer does have some interesting ways to allow full access to the trial version and then will send a Full version to you in the mail.

Thanks to everyone in this discussion for helping me find this software!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Sneaky! I wonder what other software does this. \ Perhaps "they" release "special" serial numbers on the web that can cause the program to mess up a computer of something.

One piece of software I purchased had a unique way of enabling it. It's SoundConverter. There's no serial number to enter... after you buy it with paypal... you click the "I've Paid" button in the application and it will autofetch your key. I thought it was kind of cool... the only bad thing is that it only works on this machine and the license isn't transferrable to a new machine.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    The free VLC media player will do this

http://www.videolan.org
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Holy thread revival, Batman!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KCOM2006 View Post

I don't know if there is a program that will let me do this or a way I can change how it is recorded so that the playback is faster.

FYI... I'm listening to Audiobooks but they read soo slow... I need to speed it up to keep my focus and interest.

It's a piece of cake to adjust pitch and speed with Amadeus II (download here). It eats all sorts of audio formats and also exports them, with dozens of other tweakable parameters.