Smokers murder 35,000+ people a year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4809918/

Quote:

The CDC has estimated that secondhand smoke causes 35,000 heart disease deaths a year in the United States, but Pechacek said that estimate is likely to be revised upward.

If they can make a Patriot Act over the deaths of 3000 americans, why can't they ban smoking over the deaths of 35k+ people a year? It seems a ban on smoking, like drugs, would be far more effective than the Patriot Act ever was in saving lives. Advising people to run from people who smoke is just silly.

Total ban; not simply public. Smokers are also a burden on the healthcare system and an impediment to any universal healthcare plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    "Murder" ?

It is a suicide with collateral damage. \
  • Reply 2 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

If they can make a Patriot Act over the deaths of 3000 americans, why can't they ban smoking over the deaths of 35k+ people a year? It seems a ban on smoking, like drugs, would be far more effective than the Patriot Act ever was in saving lives. Advising people to run from people who smoke is just silly.

Total ban; not simply public. Smokers are also a burden on the healthcare system.

First off, as a smoker, I admit that there is no good reason to smoke, other than satisfying your own addiction, so you won't see me trying to deny the devastating aspects of smoking ( actively AND passively)

BUT

a total ban just does not work.

Look at the war on drugs and how well that's been going...

Or the Prohibition Act (1920-1933) for that matter.

On top of that, there is another serious disadvantage of a total ban; people will not collectively stop smoking because it is legally forbidden. This will create a black market, and guess who will be very happy to take that over?

None other than criminal organizations with potential terrorist activities...

Not to mention the lack of "quality control" ( plse notice the "") once tobacco and cigarette production would be left to illegaly operating organizations.

My advice is, PREVENT people from taking up this nasty habbit before they begin, because I know how bloody difficult it is to quit.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

"Murder" ?

It is a suicide with collateral damage. \

You're right, smokers are suicide bombers.
  • Reply 4 of 101
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

"Murder" ?

Technically, you're right. Murder is the illegal killing of a person (as opposed to the legal killing of a person). So he's using "murder" as a rhetorical device. (Notice that when anti-abortion rights advocates use the term, they assume both the personhood of the fetus and the illegality of killing the fetus. Existence's use is less of a stretch, IMO.) Anyway, alarming statistic!
  • Reply 5 of 101
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Total ban; not simply public. Smokers are also a burden on the healthcare system and an impediment to any universal healthcare plan.

Sorry, but with overcrowded prisons, gang turf warfare, and drug cartels, prohibition of drugs has caused way more deaths and cost way more money than the drugs themselves would have had they been legal all this time. Banning smoking will just create another black market and fill our prisons even more and create more gang turf warfare. Don't be a fvcktard.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Don't be a fvcktard.

Man BR, I would give ten grand just to spend 10 minutes inside your head. Your posts always hit their mark. I hereby certify them as "True Art." Your arrogance it truly justified. 8)
  • Reply 7 of 101
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Man BR, I would give ten grand just to spend 10 minutes inside your head. Your posts always hit their mark. I hereby certify them as "True Art." Your arrogance it truly justified. 8)

Although I don't oppose prostitution, I'd have to be paid way more than 10 grand to do that.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Banning smoking will just create another black market and fill our prisons even more and create more gang turf warfare.

Not to mention causing the economies of several states to take a major hit, since they are growing a plant that is still legal. It's not like they can just switch to growing hemp, you know.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Technically, you're right. Murder is the illegal killing of a person (as opposed to the legal killing of a person). So he's using "murder" as a rhetorical device. (Notice that when anti-abortion rights advocates use the term, they assume both the personhood of the fetus and the illegality of killing the fetus. Existence's use is less of a stretch, IMO.) Anyway, alarming statistic!

you car pollution is killing me, murder.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Your syntax is killing my appetite, hungry.
  • Reply 11 of 101
    Just on the History Channel:

"Chain Saws Injure or Kill 40,000 People Every Year in the US"

Imagine if we smoked WHILE we used our chain saws. Genocide. Horror.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

I assume you are a smoker.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:

well it's true it's not good for you. but cigar and cigarette smoke is MUCH more harmful
  • Reply 14 of 101
    I would say fast food murders a lot more people every year.

Keep hearing the media talking about how obesity is becoming (if it is not already) the number one preventable killer. Take out McD's before you go after the addicted lung zombies.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    Well I guess my family is killing me. And all this time I thought they loved me.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Well I guess my family is killing me. And all this time I thought they loved me.

Did you really expect to score cheap points by appealing to the sanctity of the family-- when it's precisely the point that their second-hand smoke is slowly killing you?
  • Reply 17 of 101
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Here in Toronto, were getting a 100% smoking ban in restaurants and bars June 1st.

I think that's fair enough, total ban isn't necesary.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

The sad part about the above statement, is that it's more true than you probably realize.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Smoking is bad.

Total prohibition is much worse.

As many have pointed out, prohibiting something rarely makes it go away. It just makes it worse. What I think would be interesting is if "smoking only" establishments opened up (do they already exist?) I wonder if they would do really well. Point is, you could let restaurants and other public places ban smoking, but to outlaw it completely, even in the privacy of a person's home, is ridiculus.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    You're not thinking of the children with parents who smoke. They desperately need a total ban.

We know smoking is as bad or worse than drugs for the person who smokes, but is far worse in the effects of those around the smoker.

As for the car analogy, care pollution is primarily a concern of global warming. That has to do with the total extinction of life as we know it, not localized actions by individuals. These days, lead-free gasoline and other advances makes car pollution's worsest effect asthma.