Safeware and Applecare

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all, this is my first post.

I'm thinking about getting my first ever computer and I was hoping to get an iBook G4 laptop. The thing that bothers me the most about getting the laptop is theft. I was talking to a guy at the 1-800 apple number and he said that Applecare did not cover stuff like that.

Browsing these forums, I heard about Safeware and it seems like a reputable insurance company. I guess my big question is: Would Safeware coverage cover the same sort of problems the Applecare would?

It's kind of a hazy issue and it's preventing me from pulling the trigger on the purchase.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Welcome to AI

I can't comment on the insurance too much, but you should check out this. The pro version offers some nice features and while this isn't a solution if it gets stolen I believe it would help. I wouldn't recommend purchasing this instead of insurance though
  • Reply 2 of 7
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    I don't know how old you are, but your (or your parent's) homeowner's insurance might cover it. But it might not, unless it was stolen from your home. I'm really not sure, but it's worth checking out. And while you're checking, you might want to see if your current insurance provider provides any coverage for your laptop...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Hey, thanks for the quick replies.

I do have renter's insurance but since it's the weekend I won't be able to talk to my agent until Monday. I just have a bad feeling that he'll say that the laptop is only covered when it's in the apartment or something like that.

That MacPhone thing looks pretty cool, does anyone have any experience with this thing?

I was wondering if a good insurance plan would cancel out the Applecare or would it be a good idea to have both. Browsing these forums, it seems like people say that ibooks always have little problems that come up. Is this really common?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    The bad thing about Macphonehome is that it needs a internet connection to track the laptop. What if you have one computer and it gets stolen and you can't track it because your email is on your computer. Those are the bad points that I see. There could be more.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

The bad thing about Macphonehome is that it needs a internet connection to track the laptop. What if you have one computer and it gets stolen and you can't track it because your email is on your computer. Those are the bad points that I see. There could be more.

It is pretty safe to assume that at one point your computer will be connected to the internet again. And if you don't know how to check your email without your computer then you need help

Unless you yourself are hosting your own email server, then you should be able to setup a new email client to receive your emails.

Edit: ..and you can have it send it to any email address you want, not just the one you use primarily. Make a junk account somewhere just for that purpose. Google would love to have you
  • Reply 6 of 7
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Just a note on renters insurance, I have $2,500 regular coverage built in (that is for computers and software), and I also added $15,000 of additional coverage. You should read the policy carefully, carefully, carefully.

I also refuse to use anything but large national insurance companies.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by John Everyman

I just have a bad feeling that he'll say that the laptop is only covered when it's in the apartment or something like that.

You should be able to get a rider that covers it everywhere with a deductable that you can set basically where you want it, though that will affect your payments. If you can't, then get different insurance. Talk to the agents about it and get all the information out of them that you can. That's what they are there for.

I don't know if I trust safeware. It's cheaper to get a rider and I've heard conflicting things about them at macnn. Do a search there and read what you find. It seems to me that most people just get it because that's what they know, but I don't know one way or the other. I had safeware for a year, but now I just have a rider on my insurance.