Mail.app Reverse Printing

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been having troubles, randomly with printing emails on my HP 5150 Deskjet. The emails print the header part of the email fine (From, Subject, Date, To) but under that grey line, it only prints a small portion of the stuff, and it's flipped as over a vertical axis.

The bottom of this picture is the very top of the email, and the bottom is the 15 line. Just as reference.

This only happens sometimes once every week or two, but it's very annoying. Even when I save as a PDF, it does this, so it's not the printer. Maybe the printer driver?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Have you tried doing it with a different printer? Just create a new printer and see if saving as a pdf will fix it... That's weird, though. BTW, this is probably more Genius Bar material .
  • Reply 2 of 8
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Here's a workaround to try: open the problematic message in Mail, Select All and bump the font size up (click once on the "Bigger" icon in the message toolbar). You should now be able to print correctly, albeit with a slightly larger font.

This is a temporary fix: if you return to the original font size it will once again print backwards.

Perhaps this is just the undocumented "Leonardo Da Vinci" effect?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    n2nrnn2nrn Posts: 20member
    I've had this happen a couple of times too. Very strange. Only works with Mail.

N2NRN
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ok thanks, I'll try that next time. Does it work if you go smaller too, or just bigger? Just curious. If this works, I'll be real happy

The odd thing is that I get this email everyday, and it only does it once every week or two.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    On my single problematic e-mail, smaller also works. [Insert "size doesn't matter" comment here.]
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Size doesn't matter. It didn't work. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Try bumping the font up more than one size. If that doesn't work, try forwarding the mail to yourself. Other ideas: enable long headers (View-->Message-->Long headers) and try to print again; copy and paste into TextEdit; forward or redirect to someone else and have them print it; try another e-mail application; buy and install Virtual PC, forward the mail to yourself, open it in Outlook Express on your "PC" and print from there (kidding about the last one).

There is a lengthy discussion of this problem on Apple's support boards. Go to the Panther support forum for Mail and search on "backward printing". There's also a Knowledge Base article (#25741) about this problem, so Apple's aware of the issue.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Bumping the text up solved the problem a for a guy here, it was driving him bonkers.