What do you want on the 4th generation ipod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
You people can pick more then one option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Can you please change the title to What do you want on the 4th generation ipod.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Can you please change the title to What do you want on the 4th generation ipod.

Done
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My biggest request actually isn't on there: The click-wheel. I don't like the current solid-state buttons. I want a more tactile interface that doesn't activate something just by accidentally touching it...like in the dark or something.

40GB iPod with click-wheel for $399? I'm there.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    As a request from Cosmonut. Can you add the click wheel and color selection as an option. Thanks. Sorry for all the requests.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

My biggest request actually isn't on there: The click-wheel. I don't like the current solid-state buttons. I want a more tactile interface that doesn't activate something just by accidentally touching it...like in the dark or something.

40GB iPod with click-wheel for $399? I'm there.

if you want a click wheel, go with a DJ or something. We, along with Apple, will leave you behind in our quest for advanced technology.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if you want a click wheel, go with a DJ or something. We, along with Apple, will leave you behind in our quest for advanced technology.

I think cosmonut was refering to the mini's click wheel. I think that is a great feature for the next gen ipod.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Got any statistics , quagmire?

>>> Replacable battery

This was screamed down the last time you suggested it. It's not very "Apple" and not necessary. The current ones are as "replacable" as they need to be.

>>> longer life

I dunno. My 5 GB is still cranking just fine. Have we not gotten over the "18 month" guerilla ad campaign?

>>> color screen

Might be nice. But not vital.

>>> cheaper

This is NUMERO UNO. It's all about the Benjamins.

>>> more space on HD

If 10K songs ain't enough, you've got problems. That represents MONTHS of non-stop music.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

>>> more space on HD

If 10K songs ain't enough, you've got problems. That represents MONTHS of non-stop music.

I agree with you on everything but this. The reason I loved my iPod when I got it is that I could carry my entire music collection around with me. Now that I've surpassed my 10GB limit on my iPod, it has lost some appeal and I will need to buy a larger one pretty soon I am thinking.

I started putting just full albums on it in hopes to save space, but I'm already passed 8GB and still adding music almost everyday. Plus, it doubles as an external HD, so it's real nice to be able to cart my movies I want to burn over to my brothers computer via my iPod (small, light, convienient) then restart my computer into target disk mode and take it downstairs and do all that stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Got any statistics , quagmire?

>>> longer life

I dunno. My 5 GB is still cranking just fine. Have we not gotten over the "18 month" guerilla ad campaign?

I meant battery life on one charge. I certainly want the battery to last longer then 8 hrs.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    1) ability to capture video directly from a DV camera, including iSight.

2) Higher rez, color screen. Look at the GBA SP. its $100

3) A connector that attaches to the bottom firewire port, and on the other end has composite, s-video, etc. For easy video out of movies, clips that you caught with the dv cam, anything.

4) ability to encode/decode mpeg 4 video. the new 264 version would be sweet, but i hear that takes a LOT of processing power.

5)12 hour battery life

6)clickable scroll wheel ala iPod mini

7) microphone built in

8) that connector would also have optical in/out, and the ipod would be able to rip CDs directly.

any others? Most of this we won't see for a while, but if they added all of those features in Apple fashion, i would crap my pants.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Mechanical buttons, like on the 2G iPod or the mini. Those are REALLY necessary. The all-touch sensitive buttons on the 3G iPod are just awful.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah for the clickable buttons. I still like the 1st G...Old school! I only clicked on Cheaper. Some other features might be Recording/Line In, and MP4 HE AAC which would again double the amount of songs we can store.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

1) ability to capture video directly from a DV camera, including iSight.

2) Higher rez, color screen. Look at the GBA SP. its $100

3) A connector that attaches to the bottom firewire port, and on the other end has composite, s-video, etc. For easy video out of movies, clips that you caught with the dv cam, anything.

4) ability to encode/decode mpeg 4 video. the new 264 version would be sweet, but i hear that takes a LOT of processing power.

5)12 hour battery life

6)clickable scroll wheel ala iPod mini

7) microphone built in

8) that connector would also have optical in/out, and the ipod would be able to rip CDs directly.

any others? Most of this we won't see for a while, but if they added all of those features in Apple fashion, i would crap my pants.

Buy a laptop. You have to remeber that people buy iPods to listen to music, and all the teenage girls out there with one aren't going to want DV capture and all of that. Seriously, if you NEED all of that in a portable device, buy a laptop.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I agree with you on everything but this. The reason I loved my iPod when I got it is that I could carry my entire music collection around with me. Now that I've surpassed my 10GB limit on my iPod, it has lost some appeal and I will need to buy a larger one pretty soon I am thinking.

so get a 40 gig.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    e-thore-thor Posts: 11member
    I would really like a built-in microphone and the ability to "voice dial" playlists. I don't know how much proc power this needs but many mobiles do it.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

so get a 40 gig.

Good idea. I can give you my paypal account or you can send me a money order, doesn't really matter to me.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Good idea. I can give you my paypal account or you can send me a money order, doesn't really matter to me.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't complain about the iPod's "lack" of capacity if you dont even have the top model.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I swear people just don't read my threads anymore, either that or I am recently loosing my ability to clearly describe what I'm saying.

IF you look at my original post that you quoted, you will see I am sticking up for the iPod going to sizes above 40GB. At not point am I complaining as much as simply stating I need bigger then 10GB. I hope THIS post clears up any further confusions.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Instead of raising the capacity beyond that which is already 4x more than average "computer idiot" people use, why not just add HE AAC which would effectively double capacity?