good generally unknown bands

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I guess well known is relative - Portishead were massive in Europe.

Best unknown band of the sixties: MC5

Seventies: Wire or maybe The Only Ones

Eighties: Teardrop Explodes - in fact best ever !!!!!!!!

Nineties: PJ Harvey (unknown ?)

Now: I'm too old to care....(not a band btw)

I wouldn't really say that MC5 was unknown, relative to the time/music styles at the time maybe, but either way MC5 is awesome. I only say that they weren't that well known because I knew very little about them until I read the Mötley Crüe book The Dirt and they were referenced several times.

There's an 80's metal band called Grim Reaper that I've very little about other than what I had discovered on my own that is pretty good.

There's a few bands that started out local/semi-local that got really good, some got kinda big before breaking up, that I know/met through bands I know playing with them. Four Rochester bands that were on the way to becoming rather big (underground hardcore/punkish bands that could actually play instruments) that I think deserve a mention; Standfast, Building On Fire, Break Of Dawn, and The Disaster. I'm sure a few people have heard of At The Drive In, a few weeks before their last album, the one that got them more well known, came out they played Rochester in a tiny tiny tiny venue with Standfast and broke up not too long later, Standfast broke up the next summer, I think they could have done really well.

There's a band from buffalo that I've seen a lot that used to play really small shows around here called Every Time I Die that is getting bigger, they just had an interview on Headbanger's Ball a couple weeks ago. They're really frantic hardcore.

Other bands, Refused, The (International) Noise Conspiracy (sounds like Target commercials, awesome), the Murder City Devils.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    There's so much excellent music about...in fact way too much to absorb.The problem is finding it....because the best, most innovative stuff is shunned by the industry because it is not "instant", generic or "pigeon-holeable". There is a 22 year old student in the same apartment block I am in who's just finishing an engineering degree at UCLA...he is a violinist and pianist who has been playing since he was 4 years old. He has a couple of keyboards on a stand in his livingroom with a G4, ProTools and some "soft synths". (btw I am also an occasional session musician (pianist) who has played in studios for album and commercial sessions so I listen to *lots* of music, both finished and in progress). I listened to some of his compositions a few nights back and he has more musical talent in one fingernail than you can usually hear in a whole week of continuously viewing MTV, or listening to commercial music radio stations. Who will ever hear this man's music? Perhaps his friends, family and acquaintances. I asked him..."why dont you shop this around some?". He said he has no intention of taking it further than that and explained why. He is savvy enough to know that great talent will get you nowhere in the entertainment biz unless you have the attitude and chutzpah to do what it takes to get professional work.

There are probably hundreds of people making wonderful music at home, or bands in garages, with today's technology in any city you care to mention, who will also never be heard. Great music is around on smaller, mostly eclectic labels like ECM and many others.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
  • Reply 44 of 79
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    My turn...

N.E.R.D.

Sneaker Pimps

Pigmy Love Circus

Iron Cross

Eleni Mandell

Telefon Tel Aviv

Zero 7

Cesaria Evora
  • Reply 45 of 79
    Depending what your listening habits are you may have heard many of these cats, but others may not have heard them, some are better known, but none are really household names ya know

Some bassists:

Adam nitti

Michael Manring

Steve Lawson

Richard Bona

Raphael Saadiq

Divinity

Victor Wooten

Brian Bromberg

Some Guitarists:

Kaki King

Michael Hedges

Justin King

Miroslav Tadic

Allan Holdsworth

Pat Metheny

Mike Stern

young and rollins

Strunz and farah

Some Rappers:

Gift of Gab(blackalicious)

Del

Ugly Duckling

Beatnuts

Dilated Peoples

Aesop Rock

Paul Barman

Bahamadia

Afu-Ra

Some Electronic music:

µ-ziq

Squarepusher

Aphex Twin

Prefuse 73

Autechtre

Boards of Canada

Misc:

Antibalas

Spearhead

Fela Kuti

Steve reich

Joe Farrell

Goapele

Residents

Lori Andrews

Maceo Parker

Tabla Beat science

Quite Sane
  • Reply 46 of 79
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I love these...like VH1 or something. Here goes...

THE MONKS

MAN, OR ASTROMAN

PERE UBU

AU PAIRS

MORPHINE

STINKING LIZAVETA

BURNING BRIDES

SIGUR ROS

MOONEY SUZUKI

MINUTE MEN

PJ HARVEY

and....

THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND.

/rightofthetopofmyhead.

• Reply 47 of 79
    Jack off Jill
  • Reply 48 of 79
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Franz Ferdinand

Zero7

Dropkick Murphys (depends who you talk to)

Seven Mary Three (?)

Just the ones of the top of my head.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    haven't been on in a little while, got some catching up to do, first off-i got these 2 bands i like right now-conehead buddha, and zeromancer.

2nd, job-dropkick murphy's kiks ass!

Artman-man or astroman is mad good, so is sigur ros, don't know the others, will check out!

wrong robot-Beatnuts are great and aphex twin, don't know the others

hardhead, N.E.R.D rocks, so do the sneaker pimps, again, don't know the others

lastly, you guys all rock, i have so many new cds to buy, i am in heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you all, and keep them coming

i'm gonna make a definitive list of all this new stuff, man, you guys are awesome!
  • Reply 50 of 79
    There's this band that I'm completely in love with right now called Against Me!, they're not on the iTMS though.

http://www.againstme.net/
  • Reply 51 of 79
    Constantines - Studio albums are alright. live show is the greatest thing ever...EVER!

Franz Ferdinand - they won't be unknown for long.

Xiu Xiu - Kinda like Momus but less pretentious are more disturbed.

Broken Social Scene

The Walkmen

And some old favs - JSBX, Yo La Tengo, Mogwai

And Pulp (sorta unknown in US and Canada)
  • Reply 52 of 79
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

If you're going to pick up a Grandaddy CD, pick up 'The Sophtware Slump'. I think it's their finest.

That's the first one I got so it's got that something special... but Under the Western Freeway has become my favorite and Sumday is pretty nice.

Other bands I like are (in no order):

Trans Am

The Sea and Cake

Sparklehorse

The Flaming Lips

Air

Add N to (X)

Cornelius

Ladytron

Sebadoh

Jets to Brazil

Jawbreaker

Hot Water Music

Tom Waits

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Nick Drake

Django Reinhardt
  • Reply 53 of 79
    I knew I was forgetting something. Sufjan Stevens. Welcome to Michigan..... is just so damned good. One of the best albums to listen to when you're drifting off to Slumberland.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    I forgot a really really good 'band'

www.selfies.com
  • Reply 55 of 79
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Few of my favorite band/artists which aren't very popular for some reason:

Gilby Clarke

Izzy Stradlin

Velvet Revolver

Andreas Johnson

Slash' Snakepit

Some names I could remember off-handedly
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Few of my favorite band/artists which aren't very popular for some reason:

Gilby Clarke

Izzy Stradlin

Velvet Revolver

Andreas Johnson

Slash' Snakepit

Some names I could remember off-handedly

Nice list
  • Reply 57 of 79
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    This thread comes up every now and then, and I'm going to have to push Dream Theater again. Back in the early and mid nineties they were really flaky, but WHAM - somehow out of nowhere come some seriously heavy albums.

Rock and roll is back . . . actually, there's some stuff on the new album that's so damn thick; I don't know if I've ever heard anything so thick. It was like Charles Ives on speed, driving an 18 wheeler, and crashing into a tank of nitro glycerine.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Gene Loves Jezebel

16 Horsepower

Big Blue Hearts

Brad Sucks

Candlebox

Cave In

Fastball

Fenix TX

Ides of Space

Jets to Brazil

Protein

The Rosebuds

Zumpano
  • Reply 60 of 79
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Just saw a band called AeroVox this weekend. Great live band - go see them.