trying to find a print driver

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
New to OSX.3- up from 9.2, and I am trying to take a Quark document (magazine cover) and create a high-res pdf. This cover has to print at 300 dpi.

In OS 9, you could access your print drivers thru the chooser and choose Adobe PS printer icon then choose "print to file", but when I try to use the current choices in the print drivers, the Acrobat pdf writer is not visible, and I dont know how to download it. The only option is one of the 2 laser printers, but the final document size (comparing to past cover file sizes) is way too small, around 800kb compared to the old 6-8MB .

I have toured all the help menus and can't find the specific answer.

I need the final output size to be 300 dpi and CMYK at 17 x 11"

Please help!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    OS X has a built-in feature to print directly to a PDF file, but whether or not that PDF output will be at the quality level you're hoping for, I'm not certain.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    That is where I am having problems, I need to be able to know the print resolution of that file.

If I could find the Distillar print driver I could load it and print to file thru distillar...?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Debbie

That is where I am having problems, I need to be able to know the print resolution of that file.

If I could find the Distillar print driver I could load it and print to file thru distillar...?

you should be able to print to a .ps file without using the distiller print driver.

and as far as i know the pdf writer in OSX is concerned, i believe it writes the file to the original document resolution -- meaning that if you have a 300 dpi photo placd in quark, it will be 300 dpi in the pdf. the same if you have a 400 dpi file, that image on the same page will be 400 dpi. It may actually compress the images using jpg or zip compression, but im not sure of this. i would venture to say it does not.

i would bet that it is close to making a pdf under X1-a standards, if you know what these are (no compression, no reduction in file size)