10.4 Tiger Feature Request

Comments

• Reply 41 of 243
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So.... you want to be able to use Photoshop, but have all other windows off-screen... kind of, what's that word... oh yeah, *hidden*.

Hmm. Hidden... Hide... Hide Others... Cmd-Opt-H.

What you really want is a way to switch to another app and hide all others from a single keystroke. Cmd-opt-tab would be a nice way of doing that, or if System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts would access the Scripts Menu, you could write a simple Applescript to do the two steps and assign a keystroke to it.

but that's two more keys than i want to press

also, is there a quick command to bring them all back?
  • Reply 42 of 243
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

but that's two more keys than i want to press

also, is there a quick command to bring them all back?

A slightly quicker would be to use Command-Option-click the dock icon.

There is no default command key to bring them all back. You can find the Show All command under the Photoshop menu.

You can add a command key via System Preferences-->Keyboard & Mouse-->Keyboard Shortcuts but considering how many command keys Photoshop already has it might be difficult to find one that's not being used.
  • Reply 43 of 243
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Would be nice if we had icon magnification in the Finder similar to the dock with the option to enable and disable the magnification, text preview enabled for documents in the Finder in column view. A built in utility for the purpose of Defragmentation similar to Windows would be nice.
  • Reply 44 of 243
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

While not an automatic option, you can simply double click the size widget for a column and it will resize to the longest filename.

Uhhh if i'm not mistaken it already works like that
  • Reply 45 of 243
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

Uhhh if i'm not mistaken it already works like that

That's what I said...
  • Reply 46 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

You can add a command key via System Preferences-->Keyboard & Mouse-->Keyboard Shortcuts but considering how many command keys Photoshop already has it might be difficult to find one that's not being used.

For some reason I can never get those keyboard shortcuts to work for me. \ I make them, and all the full keyboard access and crap is turned on, but nothing ever works.
  • Reply 47 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

A built in utility for the purpose of Defragmentation similar to Windows would be nice.

No longer needed at all. HFS+ self-defragments on the fly with 10.3.
  • Reply 48 of 243
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    How about a port for us ol' intel guys?
  • Reply 49 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

How about a port for us ol' intel guys?

there already is a port--it's called "BuyaMac." It's pretty expensive for software though.
  • Reply 50 of 243
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

there already is a port--it's called "BuyaMac." It's pretty expensive for software though.

damn, "monipulateing" M$'s website into giving you what you want is so damnd easy, why cant apple build more flaws and backdoors into osx server
  • Reply 51 of 243
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I want to see a lot more work done on the finder.

Why doesnt the title of a finder window respond to a right click?

Why cant the finder remember that I like the spatial finder windows?

Why cant I have the toolbar on a spatial finder window ( the search field is very handy )?

The services menu sucks, a single entry point for loads and loads of functions.

Better finder threading, the finder is still getting frozen on a regular basis when accessing networked resources.

Spring loaded folders on the dock.

How about putting settings for cdr's in the discs info window, so I can set size, session closure, disc format.

My biggest desire is for Apple to produce enabling technology. Quicktime is the perfect example. Most people just think of it as the player app, but really, the player app is just a convenient toss in for users. Quicktime is really a developers framework. I want to see the same thing for ical, address book, syncing, email, instant messaging, productivity applications ( Apple works ). Whatever apps Apple produces should be front ends for a framework which opens up developer opportunities, rather than closing them off. Let developers stand on Apples shoulders, not get squashed under their giant feet.

How about an installed database, postgres maybe, that is easily usable by gui apps ( sorta like winfs I suppose ).

I think documentation has to be improved. Lots of functionality that people want should be achievable with Applescript, but who knows???
  • Reply 52 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

well in a perfect world-

i mean OS ?sorry my world is my OS? everything would be fully customizable but some more "themes" for the 10.4 Merlot NOT TIGER! like Microsoft put in XP would be nice as well as at least a fully customizable dock, sidebar and the top bar that always there(i forget the name right now) needs to go sometime soon but we will see that in 10.4.

All i can think of

PS

This post is a little hard to decipher, but it sounds like you're advocating the removal of the universal menu bar. If that's the case: You're kidding, right? The lack of that menu bar is one of the things that makes Windows a bad ripoff of the Mac OS, as opposed to a halfway decent ripoff of the Mac OS.
  • Reply 53 of 243
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OH! I just remembered another feature. I would like to have the Encryption option back in the contextual menu. I miss it from OS 9.
  • Reply 54 of 243
    There are a number of things that would make my list:

-Themes, in particular a professional theme similar to what FCP and Co. offer.

-A menu bar item for the services menu. The current services menu is too hidden and therefore gets too little exposure for an item that really has potential

-As many others have said, make the Finder more consistent. Some like the spatial view, others like the column type view.

-Spring loaded Dock folders

-Not really an OSX feature, but offer an XCode like multi-pane control interface for developers of graphical applications to use. Flash and Dreamweaver could do with something like that. This is very visible on Windows where the above two are mauch more usable than on the Mac.
  • Reply 55 of 243
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I want Bluetooth and AddressBook to work properly again...

When I receive and SMS I dont get the message in a pop-up window anymore.... bitches
  • Reply 56 of 243
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    • Metadata support wherever possible and impossible.

• Full UDF support.

• New Finder built around metadata rather than folder structure. With a plug-in architecture.

• Either everything metal or nothing. Otherwise, officially skinnable interface.

• PDF icons.

• Faster VM.

• A reliable way to kill any app under any circumstances. Only kernel panics are a valid excuse.

• Built-in answering machine.

• More fax features.

• Free disk optimization software.

• Remote GUI logins.

• Reply 57 of 243
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Mac OS X will never have full UDF support... or at least the ability to install applications without forks onto UDF file systems. Skins would rock. Metal vs Aqua confuses the hell out of me and everybody, agreed. App killing would be nice, something like XKill would be perfect. Mac OS X already does disk optimization all the time, you just don't need to click a button so you don't notice it. A free, limited version of Remote Desktop would be nice.

On to icons. With icons being used to represent things going on, like in Mail.app, Adium, iCal etc, I'd like a whole new system for icons. A mechanism where bundles have an associated script that generates icons when required. For starters, that would mean the functionality the dock provides would be present in the Finder. Also, this would mean more reliable icons: no more having to launch iCal to get the correct date in the dock icon.

Barto
  • Reply 58 of 243
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    maybe we'll see Piles ?
  • Reply 59 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

On to icons. With icons being used to represent things going on, like in Mail.app, Adium, iCal etc, I'd like a whole new system for icons. A mechanism where bundles have an associated script that generates icons when required. For starters, that would mean the functionality the dock provides would be present in the Finder. Also, this would mean more reliable icons: no more having to launch iCal to get the correct date in the dock icon.

Apps could do this *now*... think about it - if the app isn't running, then the state of its data, or its ability to check on the state of data, is fixed. So there's no need for an app to do anything other than modify its icon on quit. Its only that no one does it.
  • Reply 60 of 243
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    1. clicking on the zoom-button (green) always does the same thing (sometimes fills the screen, sometimes zooms to cover all that there is)

2. clickin on the close-button (red) NEVER shuts down the app

3. No metal (except perhaps for iTunes)

4. interface consitency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ftp in the finder

6. easier windows-to-mac network (ok now for mac-to-pc)

7. hidden apps in dock show that they are hidden by default (not by a termianl command)

8. ichat voice to pc (now only video?)

9. stickies or something work as memos or palm (now only with a shareware-app)

10. smart-folders

11. dock-folders are also spring-loaded

12. ichat works better with icq (not apple's fault though)

13. services in a menu when alt-clicking

... more coming. but most imprtant is actually interface consistency. it is quite embarrasing having to say to people that mac os x works like windows - you never ever realyy know what a button really does.