Expect a new device, but no new CPUs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Let's be real. Apple's CPU line-up is very solid right now. There is no need for them to update any of their hardware.

I predict they will announce a new iDevice to spur interest and bring people into the retail stores, but they will not update any Macs. It will be similar to how they introduced the iPod last year at this time.

[ 10-14-2002: Message edited by: clonenode ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't think anyone reasonably thinks Apple will release new PowerMacs this year. Now January of next year on the other hand...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    With wide-spread reports that Apple is discontinuing the 15" iMac, look for a new line-up by mid-November. Basically, it will be the same price points but all with 17" Screens. A 19 incher will debut at MWSF. You heard it for the 5,337th time right here.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    You are right. I think that an iDevice is in the pipeline. It's the best timeframe to launch such devices. 1-2 month from christmas hollidays like the launch of the iPod. If I remember it was in novembre.

I would like to see an iDevice using an aqua interface with the Dock appearing/disappearing.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    All dual CPU towers gives room for iMac speed-bump. I'd guess that Apple will make some significant changes in the iMac lineup:

800 MHz low end, 1 GHz high end; G4 w/ 133 MHz FSB

17" LCD, 19" LCD

Hopped-up video chipset for the 19" model???

Laptops also are due for speed bumps. Maybe the Titanium waits until MWSF for a major revision, but the iBook probably will get a smaller revision this fall.

Alternatively, MWSF '03 might be an expo devoted to laptops. Then Apple would do a silent update on the Powermacs in Feb, boost them to crazy clockspeeds, like 1.4-1.5 GHz.

eMac? Either, A) Apple let's it stagnate so they can move fewer units and make less profit, or B) Apple revises it with the iMacs, giving it a faster G4 and mobo, and a nice video chipset.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jabbajabba Posts: 82member
    Spartacus: I posted this in another thread, but the timeline for the iPod in 2001 was as follows:

[quote]

The iPod offers good guidance on a possible release date for the second iDevice this year:

_______

Announcement: End of October 2001:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/oct/23ipod.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/oct/23ipod.html</a>;

iPod on Sale: Nov, 10, 2001

________

<hr></blockquote>

Considering a new iDevice is major news for Apple, they will invite the press again with a teaser like they did with the iPod. So, taking the iPod example from 2001:

Oct 23 (-) 7 days invitations sent out = pretty soon

My guess is there is either iDevice news in the next 20 days or nothing for quite some time. Introducing an iDevice at MWSF would be bad news for Christmas sales and Apple consumer marketing in general.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    If anybody believes that Apple would not enter the digital PHOTO or digital VIDEO or CELLPHONE market because of competition you don't know Apples from Applesauce.

I believe you will see a new iDevice coming this season. Apple is a minority player in the computer industry but they are a major player in the portable music industry (iPod)

Look at the iPod competition, and this is a just a simple copy and paste. There a hundreds of companies that produce digital portable audio players. And the iPod beats them all hands down.

Apple could introduce any iDevice that would embarrass the competition.

iPod competition:

iRiver iDP-100 DataPlay Enabled Player

Archos Jukebox Multimedia 20 (W/photo module)

Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (20 GB)

Sonicblue Rio Volt SP250

Bantam Interactive Explor BA350

Creative Nomad MuVo (128 MB)

PoGo Products RipFlash DX

TDK Mojo 620

Audible Otis

eDigital MXP-100 (340 MB Microdrive)

Panasonic SV-SD80

Samsung YEPP YP-30S

Sony CD Walkman DCJ01CSKIT

AVC Technology DMP-201 Soul II

Compaq iPaq Mini CD Player PM-1

Digitalway MPIO-DMG

First International Digital Irock 520

Nike PSA Play 120

PoGo Products RipFlash

RCA Lyra Jukebox RD2800

SRSWOWCast.com The Wow Thing

TDK Mojo

Audiovox MP3J MP4000

AVC Technology DMP-01 Soul

Daisy Technology Diva MP3064VP (64 MB)

Digital Global Network Dion DMX (128 MB)

Imation RipGo

Philips eXpanium EXP103

SSI Neo Jukebox (20 GB)

EAC MP-330 Beatman

A-MAX Technology Napa DAV-311

CMC Magnetics ShellStar CM-220

D-Link DMP-CD100

eDigital Treo 10

Frontier Labs NEX II (32 MB)

I-O Data Hyblitz MDM-H301(U)

JVC XL-PM1

Likko LKM012 Superman

MPuls3 MPower3

Aiwa XP-Z3C

Bantam Interactive BA50

Coby MP-C400

Digisette Duo-96 AR-196

Digitalway MPIO-DMB (32 MB, Gold)

Dioneer DCP-100

eDigital MXP-100 (512 MB Microdrive)

Interactive Media KanguruMP3 (40 GB)

KBGear JamP3 (Silver)

MadWaves Madplayer

Mambo P209

Now Evolution DataPlay Enabled Portable Music Player

Sony D-CJ500
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jabbajabba Posts: 82member
    [quote]Originally posted by JPF:

<strong>If anybody believes that Apple would not enter the digital PHOTO or digital VIDEO or CELLPHONE market because of competition you don't know Apples from Applesauce.

I believe you will see a new iDevice coming this season. Apple is a minority player in the computer industry but they are a major player in the portable music industry (iPod)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

- I still believe the camera/video market is very different. What can Apple add of value there ?

What I see is a Apple smartphone w a camera.

- Yes, I believed in a new device for this season too...but it must be out within days now. Mid-November intro is really the last date to get holidays sales in my opinion.

And I'm not so sure anymore after they announced the last results. Maybe they wanna play safe in this economic environment for the time being....
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by jabba:

<strong>

- I still believe the camera/video market is very different. What can Apple add of value there ?

- Yes, I believed in a new device for this season too...but it must be out within days now. Mid-November intro is really the last date to get holidays sales in my opinion.

And I'm not so sure anymore after they announced the last results. Maybe they wanna play safe in this economic environment for the time being....</strong><hr></blockquote>

The problem is that smartphones with cameras exist already. There is one out, and many more getting ready to flood the market. It has long been established that pda makers can't make cell phones, and cell phone makers can't make pdas, so Apple still has a way to enter the market I suppose.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Whatever iDevice it is,

$100, says that it only works in the US and Canada, and the rest of us can piss off, or suffer with a limited functionality version of it.

Nice

Tim
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by jabba:

<strong>

And I'm not so sure anymore after they announced the last results. Maybe they wanna play safe in this economic environment for the time being....</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can't really see a camera phone from Apple, it's generally bad design to chuck two things together like this, it is unlikely to be a good phone or a good camera if the two are combined because a camera and a phone do drastically different things.

Everyone loves a gadget (no one more than me) but the cameras on phones are gimmicks in my opinion.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Lets not forget that Apple want above all for people to be using the mac as a 'digital hub'. In arguments for or against any type of device you have to consider how Apple can make this device so much better than other manufacturers devices by making it and the mac symbiotic.

I can see this with a phone but I can't understand the relationship with Sony Ericsson if this is the case.

I haven't been able to think of any revolutionary features you could add to a DV or still camera to make it so much better when using it with a mac. Macs are already pretty good at supporting third party equipment of this nature.

I'm not saying these mean that none of those devices could come from Apple, I just don't know where the killer advantage to those products would come from.