floppies?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

... O snap, all of those places run windows!!!!, better put it all on floppies in an army strong box and stash it in the back yard under that unscrupulus looking X that marks the spot

It just dawnd on me that i just stummbled over a great slogen for mac, "X Marks the spot"
  • Reply 22 of 34
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    sometimes, when a lost thesis is in the balance,

helpful roommates might find your floppy and put it where you'll find it.

• Reply 23 of 34
    hahaha, what a dick
  • Reply 24 of 34
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    hehe.. i wonder if there are any floppies lying around here, they would do nice fridge magnets

if i rarely have a floppy that i need the contents of - i give it to a friend that has a peecee, and ask him/her to email the contents of it. works, and i don't need to do that more often than a few times a year in maximum.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    i have an external floppy drive and it takes SuperDisk floppies that i use to transfer stuff from my Mac to my PC

-Neø
  • Reply 26 of 34
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Can someone PLEASE tell me what the hell a floppy is?

What is this "FLOPPY" you speak of?

I get 40+ spam emails a day offering to help with my "floppy"

• Reply 27 of 34
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    It is always good to have the option to use floppy disks. At the same time, it is good to have duplicate floppies.

From reading this forum it seems that some people can't imagine that schools would have computers without USB ports. At my school (a state university) I know of no computers in the School of Engineering laboratories that have USB access. I have found floppies to be much more reliable for cross-compatibility than CD-ROMs on our computers.

I can go to the library or the School of Business and use a modern Mac or PC with USB, etc, but in the School of Engineering, I doubt if there is anything newer than a Pentium III based PC.

The same is true for the community college I attended. And no, I am not in some backward part of the country, but in the San Francisco Bay Area. (Yes, I go to the school that had, at the top of the list of programs to be discontinued due to budget cuts, the Mechanical, Civil, and Electrical Engineering majors. But after protests from students, the local community, and businesses, these programs will no longer be discontinued, and instead majors such as Russian and Dance may be on the chopping block.)
  • Reply 28 of 34
    well, now that i think about it, neither of my computers will have a floppy which is such a shame so i will be getting a USB flash drive. what am i going to do with all my floppies from when i used my Mac in 1994?

but then again, what's another $35 when i'm about to spend about $2K?

LONG LIVE THE FLOPPY!
  • Reply 29 of 34
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Can someone PLEASE tell me what the hell a floppy is?

What is this "FLOPPY" you speak of?

I get 40+ spam emails a day offering to help with my "floppy"

Addid more inches to your floppy .. to make a 3,5" floppy to be a 5,25"?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

We ALL get burned at one point or another...it's just gonna happen. But it'll suck MUCH less if I can grab that important freelance project off my iPod, my .Mac account and/or one of two CDs I've burned it to.

Overkill? Maybe. But guess who isn't up until 4:35am, sweating bullets and trying to recreate - in three hours - what took me days or weeks to create initially. That's right...ME.

Unbelievable people don't take this stuff a bit more seriously and realize its importance.

I know what you mean. I back up my data regularly, and the majority of it isn't super critical like a thesis. But it seems like I see something like this almost daily. In fact, I just stopped over at the Mac Achaia and read this thread:

Sick to my stomach over data loss...can anyone help?

His final comment:

EVERY part of my life from essays to my thesis was on that drive.

I can't believe that things THIS important don't get dropped onto a CD-R at the end of the day/week.

• Reply 31 of 34
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Overkill? Maybe. But guess who isn't up until 4:35am, sweating bullets and trying to recreate - in three hours - what took me days or weeks to create initially. That's right...ME.

Behold, a tale of WOE, from someone (me) who did backup.

0000hrs, Undergrad thesis handin day (deadline 1200hrs)

I was putting the finishing touches to my undergraduate thesis, and the text editor crashes. The editor tries to do something unbelievably stupid: save because the application is crashing. Brief panic, until I re-render the file to Postscript, and get the right number of pages. The first few look fine (ahahahhha...)

0015hrs, Due to the shock of the close call, finish backing up the main LaTEX file in about eight places: 3 email servers, all three University accounts I can FTP into, etc. I think my thesis is safe. Time for a quick scan through before I go to bed.

0030hrs, AAAAARGH: the back 60 of 80 pages are missing. Gone. And I just backed my quarter length thesis up onto every computer I have remote access to. Mail supervisor with Tale of Woe.

0145hrs, Wake up flatmate with my pacing and frustration. And possibly neighbours.

0330hrs, There is no way I'm going to be able to recreate the thesis from the draft hard copy. Fortunately, there is one computer I don't have access to with a slightly older version. The lab it is in opens at 8am, only four hours before the deadline. More pacing, much more pacing.

0800hrs, Arrive at the lab and start typing furiously (and badly). I haven't slept in case I slept in (and I'm far too stressed).

1045, While I'm printing the colour graphs, my friend Dave announces that he has just finished all of the colour ink. Time to hunt down tech. support/services.

1100, I break the binding machine. There is another, ten minutes dash away.

1145, HANDIN! TOUCHDOWN!

1230, SLEEP

1730, PAAARTY!!!1111one (etc).
  • Reply 32 of 34
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hate that.

Another backup tragedy:

I backed up my work to a Zip and, every so often, to a SCSI Sun workstation drive.

On an *EARLY* build of MacOS X, I was futzing around with the disk layout, and screwed up my drive. No problem, I have two backups.

1) Insert Zip. *click click click click* Oops.

2) Hook up Sun drive. No problems. Copy over non-essential data. Actual start the drag part of drag-n-drop, realized it's 10pm, I haven't had lunch, and I'm going to have to hand-check the copy afterwards, so I *cancel* the drop and decide to do it after a good night's sleep.

The drive crashed, and the head bounced off the platter all night.

I lost 18 months of dissertation work.

I now CVS to the home server and the departmental server. The home server is then backed up via rotating backups between two FW drives, one of which I keep at the office. The departmental server is backed up nightly. Since the two servers are in different towns and counties, nothing short of a large scale nuclear attack is going to take them out this time, dammit.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i recently recyled all my floppy's\

How does one go about recycling floppies?

I've got more thana few I need to get rid of...
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stroszek

How does one go about recycling floppies?

I've got more than a few I need to get rid of...

Go here: GreenDisc Recycling

they recycle just about anything cds, video tapes, cell phones etc. granted you have to pay them plus you'll have your shipping cost, but it's worth it imo. it generally costs $5 unless you send them lots of stuff