Should I get a tattoo?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Any tattoo done properly in white ink should raise a bit. It's something to do with the roundness and/or thickness of the needles used. Apparently white ink needs to be buried much deeper into the epidermis in order to last and not fade as quickly. I've no personal reference for black or colored ink, but every tattoo artist said it's probably much more painful than getting a 'normal' tattoo.

the pain of a tatt isn't just a measure of the depth. tho i haven't gotten any white (well, a little, for roger's teeth, but those are pretty tiny), so i don't know exactly how deep they go, nor how much they hurt. but, my first tatt (roger) was done by one guy, and my second (syf) by another guy. the second guy definitely had a lighter touch. he said he gets that a lot. so pain can vary, noticeably, with different artists. tho, neither of the two i've gone to broke the "i can't take it anymore" threshold, i dont know if large white areas would push that over.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i'm getting an ankh on my chest, go for it dude!
  • Reply 83 of 89
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

OK fine, I admitt it, I'm just bitter because tatoos look like crap with hair growing out of them. And yes, I looked everywhere.

My tat' ain't hairy ...
  • Reply 84 of 89
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The depth does have something to do with the pain, think about it. But I've been told that black ink hurts more than colors because it has to go deeper, but I have no color so I don't know. Do colored inks not have to go as deep?

I've toyed around with the idea of a white tattoo a little the last few years, but never really got an idea for what design I'd want in white, I have a few more designs that I've done rough drafts of sitting around somewhere, but not to any great extent. I haven't asked the guy I go to about white, how often is it that an artist says they won't do all white tattoos? Do they usually charge any extra? I could understand why they might since it'd be kinda hard to do since it would be harder to see the ink while doing it.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

The depth does have something to do with the pain, think about it. But I've been told that black ink hurts more than colors because it has to go deeper, but I have no color so I don't know. Do colored inks not have to go as deep?

I've toyed around with the idea of a white tattoo a little the last few years, but never really got an idea for what design I'd want in white, I have a few more designs that I've done rough drafts of sitting around somewhere, but not to any great extent. I haven't asked the guy I go to about white, how often is it that an artist says they won't do all white tattoos? Do they usually charge any extra? I could understand why they might since it'd be kinda hard to do since it would be harder to see the ink while doing it.

I don't know for the white tattoos, but black tattoos hurting?

You can feel while it's being done, but a tattoo (depending on where you have it in your body) hurts a lot less than taking blood samples or having any (hospital) tubes attached to your arm.

Having a tattoo in a place where you have some fat under the skin makes it hurt less. So having your ankles or toes or fingers etc tattooed hurts a lot more than having your butt tattooed.

edit: I needed more coffee...
  • Reply 86 of 89
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Having a tattoo in a place where you have some fat under the skin makes it hurt less. So having your ankles or toes or fingers etc tattooed hurts a lot less than having your butt tattooed.

Huh? You have more fat in your ankles and toes than your butt?

Interesting...

• Reply 87 of 89
    nope murbot .. I just needed more coffee to make my brain work better today. or maybe I should not browse for paintball accessories while answering in AI.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Having a tattoo in a place where you have some fat under the skin makes it hurt less. So having your ankles or toes or fingers etc tattooed hurts a lot more than having your butt tattooed..[/i]

Going on the corrected version of this. . .

I had a friend back in my track running days who got a tattoo on his ankle. . . He said he felt NOTHING during the procedure. I realized last summer that I too have almost no feeling in my legs when I was poking myself involuntarily in the knee with the tip of a knife and drawing a little bit of blood. (there was some music on, and I was poking to the beat) My friend and his girlfriend were over, and she went bonkers when she noticed it first.

• Reply 89 of 89
    One thing: one day you might still be alive. So like 70 or 90 years old. Can you imagine yourself being 90 years old (look at your grandparents for some help imagineing how you might look then) and still haveing that tattoo? If yes, have that tattoo.