Screen Brightness...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Which PowerBook, or actually which computer does Apple sell with the highest quality, brightest LCD display?

I am unsure of how my new 15'' AlBook will compare to my current 15'' iMac screen. I know the PB has way better resolution, but which has a better overall picture?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I know a desktop machine will be better in display quality than a PB. But probably not all that much. It's just backlight though. I've checked out the PBs on many occasions, and the screens are plenty bright and extremely good. But a desktop will always give you a better screen.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I am unsure of how my new 15'' AlBook will compare to my current 15'' iMac screen. I know the PB has way better resolution, but which has a better overall picture?

The display resolution will clearly affect the image sharpness, noticeable superior I think in the Powerbook. As for brightness, I would expect the iMac to have a more bright display, since desktop LCDs can accomodate a much stronger backlight (that's why they are heavy).
  • Reply 3 of 12
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    the 20" iMac has two backlights in its display, same as the 20+ Cinema Displays

Quote:

Which PowerBook, or actually which computer does Apple sell with the highest quality, brightest LCD display?

the "highest quality, brightest LCD" title probably still goes to the latest 23

but with the new displays awaiting release with the summer G5s, it'll be moot...

we all know the 30" will be the highest quality and brightest once it's official.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

the "highest quality, brightest LCD" title probably still goes to the latest 23

The 20" seems brighter than the 23" to

me. The 20" also has nicer, more saturated

colors.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Of all of the notebooks, are the 15'' and 17'' screens the best? Also, would my two year old (original iMac) flat panel be not as high quality as the current ones? Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Of all of the notebooks, are the 15'' and 17'' screens the best?

Could you be more precise? All the notebooks of the market do you mean?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Could you be more precise? All the notebooks of the market do you mean?

I think he means out of the Powerbooks.

IMO, the 15 and 17 inch PBs are noticeably better than the 12 inch. But I couldn't really decide between the 15 and 17 inch
  • Reply 8 of 12
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Have the actual LCD's changed since their implementation in the powerbook G4, back in 2001? And what about the iMac's LCD from 2002?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    The 20" has the best picture quality. If Apple can do the same for all of it's LCD's, they will have the best LCD lineup.

I've noticed that the new iBooks have a slightly brighter screen than the old iBooks. There was a new iBook next to a clearance iBook at my local computer store. Did Apple improve the LCD/backlighting? Or was the backlighting of the old model simply faded (after being on display for some many months)?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I've noticed that the new iBooks have a slightly brighter screen than the old iBooks. There was a new iBook next to a clearance iBook at my local computer store. Did Apple improve the LCD/backlighting? Or was the backlighting of the old model simply faded (after being on display for some many months)?

Could be they were just calibrated differently. Did you check the color setting in display preferences? Or, perhaps the new ones are brighter.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Could be they were just calibrated differently. Did you check the color setting in display preferences? Or, perhaps the new ones are brighter.

I went to the display preferences and made the brightness max on both computers. I tried to match the color calibration settings as close as possible on both machines. Yet the new one seems slightly brighter than the old one.

Maybe the backlight on the old machine had faded over the months. Maybe there are slight differences in every iBook that comes off the assembly line. I was hoping that it was a brighter screen.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Most likely it's just a backlight fade. They will do that after many months on display. They will be good for a long time, but they will fade.

Apple probably would have mentioned the new brighter display if they had added that.