Doom III for mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
yeah, i'm totally new to macs & everything mac-related... but is Doom III coming out for mac? Will it be able to run on a PowerBook? (1.5Ghz, Radeon 9700?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Doom 3 is being made on macs so i'm pretty sure it will come out for mac. It should definantly be able to play on a powerbook.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Off to Software!!

Doom III is on course for a simultaneous PC-Mac release. It should run on your PowerBook, but that will not be the best of machines for it. Doom III should push even the high-end CPUs and GPUs of tomorrow. I remember when the alpha was leaked last year that some of the fastest available PCs at the time could barely manage 15 FPS.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    does that mean i shouldnt get it for my emac?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    It means you should wait until it's released before deciding.

That was an alpha build. Alpha stage is very early in development and probably not well optimized. Who knows if there will be AltiVec optimizations that will help the Mac.

Regardless, though, any of yesterday's or even today's eMacs will not be a Doom III powerhouse. It may play, but I doubt it'll play great.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

does that mean i shouldnt get it for my emac?

That was funny. Subtle use of humour was good. I fVckin lost it.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It means you should wait until it's released before deciding.

That was an alpha build. Alpha stage is very early in development and probably not well optimized. Who knows if there will be AltiVec optimizations that will help the Mac.

Regardless, though, any of yesterday's or even today's eMacs will not be a Doom III powerhouse. It may play, but I doubt it'll play great.

Ran great on my friends P4 2.0 GHZ, Ti4..

But of course... 800x600, and lots of tweaking!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    It ran indeed playable on my friend's P4 2.26 / Radeon 9700. So the PowerBook should actually be able to play it sufficiently. Hopefully, the good Carmack and his team is able to optimize the game really well for the mac.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

It ran indeed playable on my friend's P4 2.26 / Radeon 9700. So the PowerBook should actually be able to play it sufficiently. Hopefully, the good Carmack and his team is able to optimize the game really well for the mac.

Is this a demo? I thought the final product was in an indefinte holding pattern. The info I've gotten has made it seem that the final product would heavily tax all the lastest hardware and drivers which would put out any pb without the new 128 gc.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Zapchud, that's some good stuff you're smoking their amigo...
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mass Appeal

Is this a demo? I thought the final product was in an indefinte holding pattern. The info I've gotten has made it seem that the final product would heavily tax all the lastest hardware and drivers which would put out any pb without the new 128 gc.

No, it was a leaked alpha. It was floating everywhere on warez sites. So the demo should run better than that.

I think Doom 3 will be much like Quake 3. Very scalable graphics, with very noticeable differences in both graphics and performance from low to high modes. So I suspect it can run well on older hardware if graphics is turned well down in quality, and it can still tax the most modern of hardware heavily if it wants to.

hardhead: Eh?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Just kidding Zapchud...

Man I hope they release a demo of it!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Just kidding Zapchud...

Man I hope they release a demo of it!

Hehe, okay.

They probably will. ID always seem to release demos of their kick-ass titles.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

No, it was a leaked alpha. It was floating everywhere on warez sites. So the demo should run better than that.

Sorry if I'm wrong but the alpha stage is when they are still adding features to the software, right? Beta stage is when they stop adding features and start debugging/optimizing.

So the leaked alpha doesn't have all the necessary features yet. Which means the final version will be heavier and slower than what was leaked. If we're lucky, the optimizing performed in the beta stage will offset the extra heft of the additional stuff, but that's if we're lucky. Games are typically optimized for Windows, not the Mac.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Games are typically optimized for Windows, not the Mac.

It's supposedly coming to the X-Box or X-Box 2 depending on how long they string out the release. While it would be cool to play it on my pb I'll settle for the big screen in my living room.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    XBOX (not XBOX2) version will be out around June 15th 2004.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Sorry if I'm wrong but the alpha stage is when they are still adding features to the software, right? Beta stage is when they stop adding features and start debugging/optimizing.

So the leaked alpha doesn't have all the necessary features yet. Which means the final version will be heavier and slower than what was leaked. If we're lucky, the optimizing performed in the beta stage will offset the extra heft of the additional stuff, but that's if we're lucky. Games are typically optimized for Windows, not the Mac.

That all depends. You can't look at it as a whole and declare that more features = performance loss. :-)

The graphics engine was done (but not optimized), and the graphics looked very polished and nice already. What they're doing now is adding content (but they should be done with that stage now), optimizing the graphics engine, and they're probably adding support for new hardware, as in new graphics cards and sound cards and more. As well as some serious bug-fixing.

But you're right in that the games are typically optimized for Windows/x86. It will be a bit different with Doom 3, however, since it's an OpenGL engine, in contrast to DirectX. It means that the programmer porting and maintaining the Mac/Linux release doesn't need to convert all the DirectX routines into OpenGL routines (which most often makes stuff slower, unless the programmer has way too much time on his hands, and/or the code is really, really well documented).
  • Reply 18 of 22
    That bottom pict reminds me a bit of my aunt... And the top one of one of my old teachers...

Scary indeed!!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

XBOX (not XBOX2) version will be out around June 15th 2004.

The way Microsoft and third party developers keep pushing back release dates I wouldn't hold my breath. Although I would be surprised if it takes so long as to come out for the next system. Ninja Gaiden is the only title I got worked up for last year to be released.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Nope sorry but you are wrong there. By alpha a product should be feature complete. Alpha testing is internal testing. Beta testing is external testing. Both stages should not include the addition of new features only fixing bugs and tidying everything up.